Looking to get a new PC, wanting to build my own for the first time. Few questions.

ArchAngelThomas

Greetings,

I recently discovered the LinusTechTips channel on youtube, and while I've always wanted to build my own PC (mostly because it's my understanding you can get more out of it, for less cost, and set it up exactly how you'd like) I've never really taken the time to learn exactly how and what pieces of hardware are compatible with each other.

First big question, do you think I would be able to get a significant upgrade for what I'm willing to pay?

My current computer is a 5 year old Alienware with the following specifications:

Intel Core i7 950 processor (quad core 3.06 GHz, in case you were wondering)

12G ram (DDR3 I think)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660ti (The one thing on the pc I've upgraded since I bought it 5 years ago)

700GB hard drive

I have no idea what kind of motherboard I have (one of the reasons I've been reluctant to build my own pc because I know nothing about motherboard specs/compatibility)

I'm wanting to get a significant hardware upgrade for less than 1500 USD. And yes I realize "significant" is a rather ambiguous term.

The extent of my computer hardware experience only includes RAM and Graphics Card upgrades.

The sole purpose of my pc is pretty much just for gaming. No recording, video editing, etc. Just gaming. I like to have as many frames as possible with as much graphic fidelity as it can muster.

I realize this may be considered sparse information at best, but seeing as I'm new to these forums and to building a pc from parts I'd be open to any helpful advice you may be willing to give, or if there is anymore information I can provide to anyone out there whose willing to lend a bit of advice please ask.

Your processor and GPU are actually still pretty good. I might just buy a cheap, high capacity SSD (Like a Crucial MX100 256GB) and just wait till newer, better things come out. 

If you build a whole new system at *only* 1500 dollars, you may not get the upgrade in performance that you desire. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

It's my understanding that an SSD doesn't actually help general gaming, but is helpful with load times and how fast you can get a game up and running from your desktop. Is that the case? Or am I missing something?

That is pretty much the use for an SSD in your case.  You probably would not be able to see an "significant" change from upgrading your processor and motherboard.  If you want superior gaming performance, just get another or more powerful graphics card.

Your processor and GPU are actually still pretty good. I might just buy a cheap, high capacity SSD (Like a Crucial MX100 256GB) and just wait till newer, better things come out. 

If you build a whole new system at *only* 1500 dollars, you may not get the upgrade in performance that you desire. 

$1,500 can put together a VERY powerful system.

It's my understanding that an SSD doesn't actually help general gaming, but is helpful with load times and how fast you can get a game up and running from your desktop. Is that the case? Or am I missing something?

That is pretty much the use for an SSD in your case.  You probably would not be able to see an "significant" change from upgrading your processor and motherboard.  If you want superior gaming performance, just get another or more powerful graphics card.

An SSD will greatly help in load times, as well as boot times of the system. It just makes the system feel very snappy. Honestly, once you go SSD you won't go back.

I'll never have a hard drive for anything other than mass storage again.

I'd probably just put in an SSD, and upgrade the video card.

What games do you want to play, at what resolution?

Do you find that you're unable to play them now?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I play many games. All at 1600x900 resolution. The one that gives me the most trouble is Planetside 2. I have everything set to high (not ultra) except for shadows. Those are set to low. I get approximately 50fps when nothing is happening around me. In a large fight, it will dip down to the low 20's. It's playable. But not ideal.

Edit: In one of the youtube videos I noticed he mentioned that your processor can bottle neck your graphics card. At what point would that start happening? For example, my processor is 5 years old, if I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 700 something, would it(the graphics card) be able to run at it's full potential? What's the standard for measuring such things?

GPU is still good but you could get full build with that budget. Maybe go for mobo+cpu upgrade and see if you need GPU to add for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Guys piss off with your SSDs, you don't even know if his HDD is slow or if he has the space for one. I just booted in 5 seconds lol.   from the power button to this forum 6 sec. ( hibernation)

You have a decent laptop just save money and do a whole desktop. There isn't much to port from your laptop or worth it so I'l just keep the laptop in once piece.

Here are some questions: Hardware temps when you use it? does it heat to make you uncomfortable? is it loud to make you uncomfortable?

Screen resolution?

Anything you desire to ahcieve with your higher performance or you just want to discover?

Are you sure that's a 660ti in there, I don't think 660ti is for laptops, someone confirm? maybe its a 660m.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I play many games. All at 1600x900 resolution. The one that gives me the most trouble is Planetside 2. I have everything set to high (not ultra) except for shadows. Those are set to low. I get approximately 50fps when nothing is happening around me. In a large fight, it will dip down to the low 20's. It's playable. But not ideal.

Edit: In one of the youtube videos I noticed he mentioned that your processor can bottle neck your graphics card. At what point would that start happening? For example, my processor is 5 years old, if I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 700 something, would it(the graphics card) be able to run at it's full potential? What's the standard for measuring such things?

Planet side is unoptimised in many ways.

The cpu bottlenecks your graphic card the moment the CPU cannot do the required work to fuel the maximum fps your gpu can provide.

If one of your cores hits 100% its a bottleneck, but there could be bottlenecks even before that if the software is retarded such as in SC2.

You can verify that by opening Windows task manager ( search in start menu) or CTRL-ALT-DELELTE and open it from security window (you cant record what you do there)

then go to performance tab and watch each core. WTM can do much more and could od even more if people werent so retarded. The next revolution will be software when someone will replace the idiots.

so much retarded stuff with software.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Guys piss off with your SSDs, you don't even know if his HDD is slow or if he has the space for one. I just booted in 5 seconds lol.   from the power button to this forum 6 sec. ( hibernation)

You have a decent laptop just save money and do a whole desktop. There isn't much to port from your laptop or worth it so I'l just keep the laptop in once piece.

Here are some questions: Hardware temps when you use it? does it heat to make you uncomfortable? is it loud to make you uncomfortable?

Screen resolution?

Anything you desire to ahcieve with your higher performance or you just want to discover?

Are you sure that's a 660ti in there, I don't think 660ti is for laptops, someone confirm? maybe its a 660m.

I forgot to specify in my original post. I have a desktop. Not a laptop. So yes, I am sure it's a 660ti. 

I have no idea what temperature the hardware is at when I'm gaming.

It doesn't heat so much that i'm uncomfortable. I actually like being rather warm while at home.

It would be nice if it ran with a bit less noise. If I'm playing a higher end game that requires a lot of graphics but is loud (like planetside 2) It doesn't bother me very much because the game noise (explosions, gunfire, etc) is much more pronounced. If I'm playing a game that is often quieter for much of the time, like Skyrim, then the noise does bother me a bit. In fact I just recently bought a nice headset to use instead of my speakers when playing skyrim. (Yes, skyrim is nearly 3 years old, but i've recently modded it out a lot and am playing again)

Get a new monitor. Do you want anothrr build from scratch? You can sell your current pc. Or if you are still satisfied with your current build you can wait for new cards to come out.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Get a new monitor. Do you want anothrr build from scratch? You can sell your current pc. Or if you are still satisfied with your current build you can wait for new cards to come out.

I fail to see how a new monitor will improve the performance of my system.

I fail to see how a new monitor will improve the performance of my system.

You got lucky and bought a already well balanced system. Oh and for me alienware = laptop most of the time.

You can see which hardware is used most and could use upgrade.

I would consider a new monitor, resolution is a significant change.

Identify the rest of your specs. If you identify slow apsects of your computer we may figure out upgrades.

I don't know what your financial situation is. Therefore you're in the best position to decide if somehting is worth it.

Go check out better graphic cards. You can see benchmarks and ETC.

There are second hand powerful GPUs sold by miners. You should buy them ASAP.

You can get like 85-50% off.

I have no idea what an 1st gen I7 performs like

PSU means Power Supply Unit, right?

Exactly

Asus motherboard for auto clock and auto-voltage instead. saves power and increases performance without having to be an expert. Plus fan control customisation, network priority.. FTw

@ArchAngelThomas

Like @dizmo said, you can build a great pc with 1.5K $:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1431.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

But you're in a weird point... your pc is be good, you'd get something like a GTX 770 (+ PSU, depends on what you've), better monitor, a SSD... and save the rest.

Otherwise you'd save the money for this new upcoming GPU/CPU series.

You need to tag people like this @ArchAngelThomas or quote them in order for them to see that you've said something that needs their attention. Otherwise they'll never know.

It can, but honestly I doubt your i7 is really experiencing too much of that. Depends on the game. I'd suggest overclocking it to see what you can get from it.

Screen resolution?

SSD's are a very valid upgrade suggestion as it makes the system feel extremely fast.

Does it help a huge amount in gaming? Not really for fps. But I highly doubt it's the absolute only thing he uses his computer for, and it's easily transferred over into future builds.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There are a handful of games where load times can be annoying. Even if I do not end up getting a whole kit for a brand new PC, based on the feedback I am seriously considering an SSD. Especially considering how easily it could be transferred to a future PC. I've never worked with multiple storage drives before, but I'm sure learning how to transfer game installations from one to another would be incredibly easy.

And thanks for the tagging advice @dizmo

There are a handful of games where load times can be annoying. Even if I do not end up getting a whole kit for a brand new PC, based on the feedback I am seriously considering an SSD. Especially considering how easily it could be transferred to a future PC. I've never worked with multiple storage drives before, but I'm sure learning how to transfer game installations from one to another would be incredibly easy.

And thanks for the tagging advice @dizmo

Multiple drives are a piece of cake, you just change the directory when installing the game. If you do get an SSD, get the largest you can afford. The larger the capacity, the better the performance.

No problem! Welcome to the forum :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Although your PC is showing its age just get a 780 ti and be done with it and upgrade the rest later. get a 780 ti oh and SSds. raid 0 (or was it raid 1) 2x samsung evo 840's :D.

I highly doubt that that ha sVelociraptor or other high performance HDD. In that mind SSD is good upgrade. You know there's big difference whether you load windows from HDD/SSD (shutdown) or from RAM (hibernation)?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I highly doubt that that ha sVelociraptor or other high performance HDD. In that mind SSD is good upgrade. You know there's big difference whether you load windows from HDD/SSD (shutdown) or from RAM (hibernation)?

I know your wrong. Hibernation loads from HDD SSD and shuts down the computer just as in any shutdown. Except the session is stored in the OS partition ( I know oyu can mvoe it but it no officially supported by win 7) and reloads session by transferring data back into RAM when booting.

Standby loads from RAM.

Hybrid standby loads from RAM but also stores in HDD in case of a power loss, then it will restore by hibernation mode.

Hibernation : slowest to initiate, Consumes 0 power to maintain, survives power loss, slowest to recover.         Speed depends on perma storage used.

Standby: Instanteneous to initiate, consumes power to maintain, does not survive power loss, fastest to recover.  

Hybrid standby (default for win 7 ) : Slowest to initiate, Consumes power to maintain, survives power loss. fastest to recover. Slowest as in hibernation in event of powerloss.

I use hibernation and standby. Well I never standby, maybe I should considering the speed. for like a total of 20 min a day.

For reference I had arround 1,88 GB Ram usage in session when it loaded in 6 sec from power button to session ( after enetering admin user pass). It was ridiculous ^_^