Razer Orbweaver - more people need to give it a try imo

exyia

starting this discussion partly because I'm bored at work (slow week), but I think it's worth discussing

The Razer Orbweaver (and I guess other keypads, but obviously the Orbweaver is the best one available)

I think this thing is extremely underrated.

**Preface - I am not saying this should replace your keyboard. I am not saying this is for everyone.**

I know keypads have been around for a while, but it wasn't until BF4's release that I looked into it more.

The main idea that got my interest........

What is one thing console controllers do BETTER than keyboard/mouse?

The movement stick. They control all movement with ONE thumb.

What do we use?

THREE fingers? The same fingers that press vital gameplay keys? Why? Has anyone bothered to think how UN-ergonomic and inefficient this is?

So the Razer Orbweaver offers a control stick on the side - freeing up the fingers to react and reach other functions without interrupting movement. Why do you have to take your finger off movement to.......spot, use, prone, switch fire modes, switch secondary, gadget 1, gadget 2. practically everything you do requires you to give up your WASD movement keys for a brief period.

Think about it... :mellow: isn't the idea of using 3 vital fingers to control movement (and functions) kind of silly when it can be accomplished with just one?

MOBA's? how about moving the screen? you can move it with arrow keys, which would take your fingers off QWER......what's your thumb doing during this whole time? why can't your thumb move the screen instead of sitting on a largely idle spacebar?

I've adopted a Razer Orbweaver for gaming for about a year now, and I couldn't be happier. It just makes SO much more sense to me. EVERYTHING is within reach, and I also can buy a keyboard/switch type PURELY for typing duties (no more dealing with everyday typing on MX reds, or gaming on mx blues).

I loved mine enough to go through the trouble of changing out the LED's (which was actually nowhere near as hard as I feared)

IMAG0436_zps9fz0qvnb.jpg

only reason i wont try it is because you cant just go to a store and test it because you need more time with it, and its to expensive to buy and later find out you may not be satified with it.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I actually really like these things. Anyone know of other brands other that Razer and Logitech that make things like this ? 

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

I didn't like the layout and non-mechanical keys, but still relevant to gamepads in general for sure

I think the Orbweaver is the best implementation for the mechanical keys alone, but the g13 has it's merits (especially like the analog stick - the orbweaver one is NOT analog)

there's the cheaper tartarus that's membrane and smaller/less adjustable - I thought I would try it first to see if I would like gamepads at all, but since my local micro center had the Orbweaver - I decided to try the best and save the potential drive to return it if I ended up liking it

but in retrospect, I couldn't imagine having any fewer keys than the Orbweaver has. before I had one, I thought it had one row too many of keys....but now I think it's just enough

for anyone that might consider it - you REALLY have to give it a chance.

when I brought mine home, I gave up and boxed it back up to return THREE times. (by the way, the packaging is very simple and effective, making this easy to return if it really isn't your cup of tea) But each time I figured the store is closed until tomorrow, give it a chance while I still have it.

it's REALLY hard to defeat your muscle memory. I HATED this thing at first. Using the thumbstick for movement worked out terribly and my movement ingame was about as clueless and unintuitive as the most clueless stoner playing a video game for the first time. I blamed it on the gamepad being a gimmick....but it just took time. Chances are you've been using a keyboard for YEARS - you can't expect to instantly drop muscle memory habits right away.

I will say though - I do feel that if you DON'T use the side stick as movement (and use it as just more buttons instead), I think it's worthless for the price. If you use the keypad layout like a traditional WASD layout, it feels actually feels mostly like a keyboard. that's great and all, but not worth spending ~$130 for...and you aren't really gaining anything other than a few extra buttons for your thumb to play with (again, not much of a gain for $130)

Fixed that for you. I've been using gamepads for over 10 years, starting with a Belkin n52. The G13 defeats the purpose of a gamepad as it's nearly flat, just like a keyboard is. It lacks the ergonomics that the Belkin and Razer gamepads have always used. I went from the Belkin n52 to a Razer Nostromo, basically the same thing but slightly better quality. I skipped the Belkin n52TE powered by Razer as that one had horrible software. The Razer Nostromo didn't have that issue since it was made 100% by Razer.

I now have a Razer Tartarus, which is just a slightly more updated version for the same n52/Nostromo style that I've been using for a decade. Except it has a non-removeable thumbstick instead of a thumbstick/d-pad combo like the Nostromo used. I've never used it for movement, because that's just beyond fucking dumb. If you want a thumb stick for movement go use a console. I instead use it as additional keybinds. With a normal keyboard your left thumb is wasted, being used for nothing beyond pressing Space Bar. With my gamepads, I have multiple keybinds to use from both the thumb stick and the other thumb buttons around the thumbstick. The thumbstick is quicker than the old d-pad but I did find the old d-pad to be more accurate.

The Orb Weaver is another waste of money. It has far too many keys, a gamepad is rendered pointless if you are forced to move you hand just to reach all the buttons. The G13 suffers from that as well. Anything mechanical is also a waste of money as it gives you no advantage of any kind game. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

-snip-

-snip-

Great review! I use my G13 in conjunction with my tablet to draw, create 3D models and 2D animation. G13 being the same height as the keyboard is very easy to use with the tablet. I can bind my keys to most used shortcuts which are harder to navigate using a keyboard. It takes much less space than the KB giving both my hands lots of space to move around. I hope you understand my point of view. :)

I'd love to try one, I just wish it wasn't the price of a full backlit mechanical keyboard or a non-backlit with pbt keycaps alternative.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

This is more expensive than some mechanical keyboards!

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Tried it back when I was playing Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2. Worked for a couple days and then died. It was slightly better than using the keyboard for most things and cramping up, but didn't really justify its price IMO. Once I offloaded some functions to an MMO mouse, everything was much better with just keyboard and mouse. And yeah, it died so it wasn't a great first impression.

• 1 month later...

What LED's did you use to replace the green ones? Did you have to open up the unit to replace them? Thanks.

standard LED's - the switches/PCB are standard cherry switches so once you get it open, it's all the same

opening it isn't as bad as it looks. someone posted a picture guide on geekhack

:) I agree with OP, I like to use my gamepad 'thumb' for movement. I currently use a logitech G13, and have used it for years so would love to try the new Orbweaver. Has anyone used both of these and if so how do they like the feel of the mechanical keys from the orbweaver? 

picked up the orbweaver pretty much once it was released, had led flickering decided to send it back

I use a genovation 682 keypad

MOBA's? how about moving the screen? you can move it with arrow keys, which would take your fingers off QWER......what's your thumb doing during this whole time? why can't your thumb move the screen instead of sitting on a largely idle spacebar?

I press the spacebar every other second because after you move the screen, the spacebar brings the screen back to your champion. and if you hold it down it follows you until youre ready to start looking again

:) I agree with OP, I like to use my gamepad 'thumb' for movement. I currently use a logitech G13, and have used it for years so would love to try the new Orbweaver. Has anyone used both of these and if so how do they like the feel of the mechanical keys from the orbweaver? 

Hmm.. new account made today to reply to OP agreeing? This doesn't sound like OP's  alt account at all!

Because these gaming version are made by companies I have had bad experiences with. Logitech and Razer.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Might as well just use a keyboard at that point. The whole idea of Orbweaver and the like is to add the thumb movement and ergonomics.

no its not, you assume too much

a keypad does not take up all your mousing space

I have owned many keypads pretty much all stated in this thread even one called wolfking warrior

the genovation with a custom wrist pad is perfect, even bought a 2nd just cuz I love it that much while my nostro/g13/wolfking/etc sit in a box in the basement

my plan with the orbweaver was to change leds and possibly make custom caps but after teh leds flickered brand new, and then the question of their software I sent that back

I did recieve the genovation the same day as the orbweaver, the geno made much more of an impression to me, ordered 2x 2x 2mount keys and a 3x 3mount key

How have your experiences been with this? Kind of curious about Gaming Keypads and it helps that this isn't higher than 100 USD.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Orbweaver FTW I have been a proponent of it since it launched and I had my hands on it. Its part of the reason I go back into PC gaming.

You seem to be thinking many of the same things as I. I see you nodded your LEDs. How did you deal with the lower voltage of that color.

Nope horrible for gaming purposes minus the analog stick but I know why Razer choose not to use one.

I actually really like these things. Anyone know of other brands other that Razer and Logitech that make things like this ?

Belkin nostromo but Razer bought the brand out before they went under. Its a very small market in a already small market.

Great review! I use my G13 in conjunction with my tablet to draw, create 3D models and 2D animation. G13 being the same height as the keyboard is very easy to use with the tablet. I can bind my keys to most used shortcuts which are harder to navigate using a keyboard. It takes much less space than the KB giving both my hands lots of space to move around. I hope you understand my point of view. :)

Well yea you get a cheap progrmable pad at probably half if not 1/3/the cost.

I'd love to try one, I just wish it wasn't the price of a full backlit mechanical keyboard or a non-backlit with pbt keycaps alternative.

Well much boards used to be even more before they became more mainstream.

This is more expensive than some mechanical keyboards!

Yes this is due to the fact that the market it multiple times smaller. Also don't forget that there used to be rubber dome boards more expensive than a good mech board.

Personally I keep the pad next to my keyboard on the left, so it's not anywhere near my mouse.

As for assuming too much, I don't really know what part you mean, but for me the thumb stick is the WHOLE reason to use a separate keypad, otherwise I might as well use my keyboard since I'm not winning anything with a non-stick keypad or ergonomics. You can have a wrist pad for your keyboard just as well. So, my statement stands.

Mines to the left of my keyboard and it stays there all the time. If I have anything wider than a TKL it feel kinda awkward though.

Its not the whole reason but one of the main reasons. The non staggered keys are much nicer when gaming. Also the ability to remaps the pad an not the game is super handy and much more convient. Also even when it was a dpad not a thumbstick you thumb could still do many more things than jump.

How have your experiences been with this? Kind of curious about Gaming Keypads and it helps that this isn't higher than 100 USD.

Mine have been poor when a I borrowed a friends but this was after owning a orbweaver.