Razer Orbweaver - more people need to give it a try imo

exyia

Well much boards used to be even more before they became more mainstream.

Yes this is due to the fact that the market it multiple times smaller. Also don't forget that there used to be rubber dome boards more expensive than a good mech board.

Mines to the left of my keyboard and it stays there all the time. If I have anything wider than a TKL it feel kinda awkward though.

Its not the whole reason but one of the main reasons. The non staggered keys are much nicer when gaming. Also the ability to remaps the pad an not the game is super handy and much more convient. Also even when it was a dpad not a thumbstick you thumb could still do many more things than jump.

Mine have been poor when a I borrowed a friends but this was after owning a orbweaver.

Still, the $150+ price can't be justified for a keypad that's using cheap chinese switches while some even more niche type mech kbs are being sold for considerably less. I understand it's a niche (and pricing it in line with a normal backlit mech, $90-100ish would still be slightly pushing it but $150 (the price of nearly THREE decent mech keyboards) is too much for me to even consider grabbing one for my arsenal. :P

This is just me, however. I'm sure there are some people who have that cash to throw around on stuff like this (and if they still sold cherry mx ones for $50 less, I'd be in.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

What LED's did you use to replace the green ones? Did you have to open up the unit to replace them? Thanks.

Cherry MX use a standard T1 3mm led. You can find the easily using the selector on mouser. I suggest kingbright.

standard LED's - the switches/PCB are standard cherry switches so once you get it open, it's all the same

opening it isn't as bad as it looks. someone posted a picture guide on geekhack

Did you have to change resistors or anything since those are likely a lower voltage?

It really annoys me that they got rid of the scroll wheel. As an artist that was great to have when working with a Wacom. 

Still, the $150+ price can't be justified for a keypad that's using cheap chinese switches while some even more niche type mech kbs are being sold for considerably less. I understand it's a niche (and pricing it in line with a normal backlit mech, $90-100ish would still be slightly pushing it but $150 (the price of nearly THREE decent mech keyboards) is too much for me to even consider grabbing one for my arsenal. :P

I can justify it since it makes my gaming experience much more pleasant. The two I own use really cherry switches made in germany but yes the product is made in china as that is where Razer is based. Also as far as I can tell from their website Razer has not yet swapped out the switches for "their own". Which Niche mechanical keyboards are being sold for considerably less because all of the ones I can think of are considerably more. Razer likely sells more than 10 black window ultimate's to one orbweaver. Actually I woldnt be surprised if it was 50 to 1, I mean there is a reason it took so long to get a mechanical variant available. The MSRP of the orbweaver is $130 you can get the standard one and the stealth one direct from razer at that price. When I bought mine shortly after launch I got it for $120 on newegg. Also about 6-8 months after launch I and a friend bought one each for $67 a piece. I know it doesnt go on sale often but it does, sometimes substantially. Even if it were $150 I would to see which 3 new mechanical keyboards you would be getting for that price as the lowest I can remember off hand would end up being $60 each for a TKL.

It really annoys me that they got rid of the scroll wheel. As an artist that was great to have when working with a Wacom.

Fopr gaming I never saw a use for it as I almost never use it on my mouse when gaming as it quite imprecise when selecting things. But I can see how it would be useful for stuff like what your mentioning. Im sure you could still track down a razer nostromo or even a older belkin one.

I can justify it since it makes my gaming experience much more pleasant. The two I own use really cherry switches made in germany but yes the product is made in china as that is where Razer is based. Also as far as I can tell from their website Razer has not yet swapped out the switches for "their own". Which Niche mechanical keyboards are being sold for considerably less because all of the ones I can think of are considerably more. Razer likely sells more than 10 black window ultimate's to one orbweaver. Actually I woldnt be surprised if it was 50 to 1, I mean there is a reason it took so long to get a mechanical variant available. The MSRP of the orbweaver is $130 you can get the standard one and the stealth one direct from razer at that price. When I bought mine shortly after launch I got it for $120 on newegg. Also about 6-8 months after launch I and a friend bought one each for $67 a piece. I know it doesnt go on sale often but it does, sometimes substantially. Even if it were $150 I would to see which 3 new mechanical keyboards you would be getting for that price as the lowest I can remember off hand would end up being $60 each for a TKL.

Note the use of the word 'nearly' before I say three mech KBs. (And you can get some CM storm quick fire TK and various other TKL and full mechanical keyboards for $60ish). Maybe in the US you can grab one of those cheap, but razor gear like that rarely goes on sale and when it does its 10% or less in Canada.

And, a great example of a niche keyboard that's reasonably priced is the KBC Poker II. I got one for $105 on mass drop and it is $105-115 elsewhere on the net. It's also designed by a company without investors like razor and definitely is not for everyone (and I guarantee razor sells more of their orb weaver thingies with their wider market reach and ad campaigns.

tl;dr there is no reason i can see that a product such as the orb weaver is priced so ridiculously high, other than the fact that it has a three-headed snake on it. And, because of that I will not be buying one any time soon.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Note the use of the word 'nearly' before I say three mech KBs. (And you can get some CM storm quick fire TK and various other TKL and full mechanical keyboards for $60ish). Maybe in the US you can grab one of those cheap, but razor gear like that rarely goes on sale and when it does its 10% or less in Canada.

And, a great example of a niche keyboard that's reasonably priced is the KBC Poker II. I got one for $105 on mass drop and it is $105-115 elsewhere on the net. It's also designed by a company without investors like razor and definitely is not for everyone (and I guarantee razor sells more of their orb weaver thingies with their wider market reach and ad campaigns.

tl;dr there is no reason i can see that a product such as the orb weaver is priced so ridiculously high, other than the fact that it has a three-headed snake on it. And, because of that I will not be buying one any time soon.

Yes the QFR which is the same one I was thinking of. The only thing with that would be that it isnt fully programmable, and what are you going to do with 2 keyboards on the same system? :D

I had the original poker the layout sucked and I still dont know why they put the arrows on WASD. Unless the II is fully programmable its a no go.

I mean there is the whole thing where its only other competitor The logitech G13 is a significantly worse device. And being that much of a niche product already they can kinda charge what they want. In my eyes for gaming at least even though your getting something smaller your getting more of a product.

I can almost guarantee if a large number of people adopted them and there were internet celebrities using and review them the price would go down.

Cherry MX use a standard T1 3mm led. You can find the easily using the selector on mouser. I suggest kingbright.

Did you have to change resistors or anything since those are likely a lower voltage?

nope, straight swap. nothing special

I would elaborate, but there's not much to elaborate on - all I can say is that it's MUCH easier than it looks

nope, straight swap. nothing special

I would elaborate, but there's not much to elaborate on - all I can say is that it's MUCH easier than it looks

do you know the voltage on the leds that you swapped in possibly?

Fopr gaming I never saw a use for it as I almost never use it on my mouse when gaming as it quite imprecise when selecting things. But I can see how it would be useful for stuff like what your mentioning. Im sure you could still track down a razer nostromo or even a older belkin one.

Yeah, but they are expensive as crap now (More than 40$ for one is expensive to me xD) T^T. But when i get my k95 rgb i will just reprogram the volume wheel to change brush size. ALL HAIL CORSAIR KEYBOARDS!!!!!!

do you know the voltage on the leds that you swapped in possibly?

no it looked like a completely standard keyboard PCB (other than shape/number of keys obviously). The PCB feeds it's data to a different central PCB that does all the fancy stuff

that is the best justification for an orbweaver yet but i would need one made to be used in the right hand... sucks being left handed sometimes lol

that is the best justification for an orbweaver yet but i would need one made to be used in the right hand... sucks being left handed sometimes lol

Really not useful without a scroll wheel for me. I personally right now just move my keyboard over and use the num pad for hot keys. Granted there aren't as many hot keys but it still works for me. I will program the volume wheel on the K95 to work in-stead of a scroll wheel for my brush size. 

no it looked like a completely standard keyboard PCB (other than shape/number of keys obviously). The PCB feeds it's data to a different central PCB that does all the fancy stuff

Ive had it apart. I know what it looks like. The dimming on the LEDs is voltage controlled and it normally outputs the correct voltage for the green LEDs. Different color LEDs have different voltages which is why I asked what yours were.

Yea your never going to see a lefty one. i mean how long did it take for a DA and a Naga (which wernt kept up to date btw).

Personally I keep the pad next to my keyboard on the left, so it's not anywhere near my mouse.

As for assuming too much, I don't really know what part you mean, but for me the thumb stick is the WHOLE reason to use a separate keypad, otherwise I might as well use my keyboard since I'm not winning anything with a non-stick keypad or ergonomics. You can have a wrist pad for your keyboard just as well. So, my statement stands.

do you not understand?

and a keypad purpose isnt for the thumb stick only

why would I want to be spread eagle just to play games rather have it closer to my core/center of my body

and have MORE ROOM FOR MY MOUSING

why do we have numberpads?

why do we have numberpads?

Faster for basic numerical data entry. Using the top row cuts your speed in half when having to click and enter numbers over and over again (doing you taxes). You use the num pad with one hand and your mouse with the other. For advanced nomenclature the top row is the best though (Powers, rooting, bases, sigma, etc.) like when using wolfram alpha or MAT lab, but more people do their taxes than try to figure out heat transfer problems xD

Faster for basic numerical data entry. Using the top row cuts your speed in half when having to click and enter numbers over and over again (doing you taxes). You use the num pad with one hand and your mouse with the other. For advanced nomenclature the top row is the best though (Powers, rooting, bases, sigma, etc.) like when using wolfram alpha or MAT lab, but more people do their taxes than try to figure out heat transfer problems xD

Also non staggered layout is quicker.

Is it useful in anything other than MMOs? 

Desktop: i7-5820K, SLI GTX 980 Ti, 16GB 2666MHz, H440

Laptop: Razer Blade 2015 QHD

Is it useful in anything other than MMOs?

I use it for all PC gaming, except the few games that I use a controller for.

E-r-g-o-n-o-m-i-c-s. Why do you think they make split keyboards? Same reason you don't want to have you keyboard closer to your body.

I will assume you're rather young, you will learn when you get older the reason you should've NOT kept everything closer to you.

Numpad are for accountants, I haven't used one for gaming since Quake 1 days when I started using a mouse instead of the numpad for turning etc. And how shitty is your mouse if you need more room for mousing? I have a Mionix Ensis 320 and that is WAY huge for my mousing needs in most games, learn to get a better mouse or adjust your settings.

You seemed to basically just be bashing him through out that whole response for really no good reason.

Tough.

That's like saying "awe too bad".

1, assuming is for bitches

2, I am 34, been playing on pc since quake 1 too

3, I play with low sensivity, I have rat3,anker,g5,g500,g700, and many more mice, would you like a pic? oh yeah the g602 that I am using in the pic below

4, I spent 2 yrs in accounting, so I know it was to try to get a point at you that went over your head

heres a pic of my old setup

DSCN2471_zps3f255f28.jpg