MS paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions

DeViLzzz

The Glorious Overclocking Master Race>

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

wow....

Microsoft sucks

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

"Xbox One content"

So, Xbox royally screwed up their UI and doesn't really cut it in terms of graphics performance. I'll take that extra $3 CPM now thanks

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Watch linus never speak of xbox again.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Officially blocked Machinima on YouTube.  I can't remember ever blocking anyone's channel before.  Now onto Microsoft.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Wow, people really hate Microsoft... they are doing the same exact thing that just about every large company does but when they do it people get real mad. You don't think Sony/Nvidia/AMD do this as well?

Wow, people really hate Microsoft... they are doing the same exact thing that just about every large company does but when they do it people get real mad. You don't think Sony/Nvidia/AMD do this as well?

Proof then we will talk.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Officially blocked Machinima on YouTube.  I can't remember ever blocking anyone's channel before.  Now onto Microsoft.

It took you this long to block Machinima? :(

Dissapointed.

But really, I don't see why people care about this at all. I really hate Machinima for everything in the world, but it's not like Microsoft was doing anything bad. In fact, genius idea right there by paying extra for a limited # of views. Maybe they overpaid on advertising and the extra views make up for it but as far as I'm concerned, they got more than their money's worth.. I can see this happening more often now that it's public but be real, please.

Tons of people on Youtube get paid to mention specific content, services or games. Others are paid well to review them. The scummy people/places are the ones that try to act like the door-to-door salesman or a Jahovas witness and have pamphlets on how much better your life would be with their product. Most of the time, these people are lying about it and that's why I really hate channels that try to "sell" the product to you. Linus' videos feel like that sometimes but he's been objective in reviews too many times for me to act like he's being paid to say good things about everything he reviews.

It just pisses me off when a guy with 344,973 subs is like "Hey guys, just got my new ROCCAT EXTREME PROSKILLZ KILLSTREAK 400 KILLER.1 SNIPER KEYBOARD AND MOUSE and I must say, these products gave me 30 more frames per fps and increased my Call of Duty rank from low Platinum to high Grandmaster. By the way, sub to my channel - I'll be giving away one of these every month for 12 months to one lucky viewer out of hundreds of thousands and never say who won so you probably won't even know if someone actually got anything. Anyway, good luck, and can we hit 25,000 LIKES?!?"

[/rant]

Edit: Forgot to say that Syndicate is a punk.

Well... I can't say Microsoft is being good doing this, because it really is cheating I guess.  But I think that channels are being even worse, a gaming channel is expected to be honest, fair and to be very critical on things.  People go to Machinima on Youtube to hear HONEST information on games and on consoles! I think its SICK that Machinima didn't decline this contract, because they know damn well that people rely on them to provide quality information!  and I think that Microsoft did something horrible too! I think that stopping a channel from saying bad stuff about their product is SICK!  Its exploiting innocent people to get money, and they should have been smart enough to know after all these years, news article after news article that the bad guys ALWAYS get found out! But out of all honesty, I expected a company like Microsoft to do something like this, I think its the Gaming Channels Faults.  They should have known better, they should have called up their mother first before answering. 

Lol. If Linus got this offer, he should have created a fanboy video of the Xbox one. Ironic enough for viewers to know that it's not real. Or since they are required to be at least neutral, make a video that shows all of the features and just have him say they are OK. And at the end for the rating, just have him say "it's neutral"

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Innocent until proven guilty.

I am more mad at Machinima. Do they not have any integrity?

I don't get why for example boogie just goes "everyone does it so it's OK". Just because more companies *MIGHT* be doing it doesn't make it right.

Machinima was never even on my radar when I was looking for an MCN...

What's your take on the situation? Pretty standard for Youtube, or what?

Would just like to hear it from someone who is actually pretty popular on Youtube and has dealt with sponsorships. I mean, this type of thing used to be really big when the Xbox 360 first came out with all the booming FPS channels. I don't know why this would be an issue to people now or why it's news at all. CPM boosting from sponsorships is pretty open, I think TotalBiscuit is a fan of educating people on what he deals with when reviewing new games (sarcasm btw). People get their panties twisted up every time it seems like this type of thing is happening with his channel, thinking he's a sellout and whatnot (I've heard it on your channel as well).

My point is that this isn't a bad thing. If it ever looks bad, it really only looks bad on one side or the other. Not everyone straight-up sells their soul to get a few extra bucks. Machinima, however, is soulless. Large network with lots of complaints and screwing over their partners. In other cases, it's the people paying the channel that look bad. They refuse to pay or flag for X reasons to get the video taken down if it makes them look bad. TB has dealt w/that tons of times, but they never succeed and he always makes them look worse just by being honest about the situation. But that's because he's with Polaris and he's big, not every channel can get the support they need to prevent their video, or sometimes their channel, being taken down.

I think the problem here is not that they are paying for mentions but that one of the stipulations is that they can not say anything negative about the product.

2. You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its Games in your Campaign Video;

I think the problem here is not that they are paying for mentions but that one of the stipulations is that they can not say anything negative about the product.

That's what I thought but everyone seems to be forgetting that. Machinima, IGN, and other networks often pay for promotions for any number of things, and I don't know why this is a big deal. The Xbone promotion lasted a grand total of two days.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

That's what I thought but everyone seems to be forgetting that. Machinima, IGN, and other networks often pay for promotions for any number of things, and I don't know why this is a big deal. The Xbone promotion lasted a grand total of two days.

Yes but this is the Internet, we MUST (and will) make a big deal out of everything! 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Machinima was never even on my radar when I was looking for an MCN...

Nor should it have been.  Machinima is widely known to have scummy business practices as well as treating their directors like crap.  Avoid them like the plague.

It doesn't suprise me at all that this may violate FTC regulations.  What do companies as big as Microsoft care?  The real shame should be for the YouTubers taking this money.  They are being blatantly dishonest with their audiance to get paid under the table.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Yes but this is the Internet, we MUST (and will) make a big deal out of everything! 

But isn't that the whole purpose of the Internet? Having groups of people unite on a single or multiple issue(s) to raise awareness of the problem?

I see no problem with paid promotions, but I do have problems with concealing it and saying it's your own opinion and it isn't swayed by any means. For example, a new game is about to come out, most say it's a great game, they have no problems with the game and it runs great, so people pre-order or pre-"buy" it. When the game does come out, it's complete crap and people are pissed off because they were fed false information.

This is why you shouldn't buy games before release, technological items, or anything really. You should try the product out if you can, read and watch reviews of said product. This is why demos were created for video games, now many games don't have demos and they are complete crap. This is why torrenting exists, to try the product before you buy it. Unless you can get a refund for the item, you shouldn't buy it on the day of release, Hell maybe not for a month.

wow....

Microsoft sucks

Still not as bad as Samsung paying for slander against HTC!

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5