Should I get Static Pressure or Air Flow pressure?

DVA

Hey guys, I own a Meshify C case, and as many of you know..it's airflow is just superb! I was just wondering, with all the open space it has, would it be best to have air flow fans or static pressure fans? 

I plan on adding additional fans to the top of my case and replacing the rear fan. I have a 280mm front mounted AIO just as added info. 

I was thinking air flow fans would be best due to all the open space, is there a reason I should go the other route? 

Thanks for any help. 

For anyone needing to know the interior of the case:

Image result for meshify c included fans

I see dust filter, I use pressure fans. I only use airflow fans for VRM cooling and exhaust.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

I see dust filter, I use pressure fans. I only use airflow fans for VRM cooling and exhaust.

Correct, This case has 3 filters. 1below everything, 1 up top, and one in the front panel. 

I have my front mounted AIO as a pull and the one rear fan as an exhaust. I was wondering if I should set up the top fans as exhaust as well. My ambient temp is around 65F, or 18/19C. 

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

Correct, This case has 3 filters. 1below everything, 1 up top, and one in the front panel. 

I have my front mounted AIO as a pull and the one rear fan as an exhaust. I was wondering if I should set up the top fans as exhaust as well. My ambient temp is around 65F, or 18/19C. 

if the tops are exhausts it will be a negative pressure system, which means marginally better thermals, and more dust. If the tops are intakes it will be a positive pressure, which means more work for the rear exhaust and less dust. Your choice really.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

if the tops are exhausts it will be a negative pressure system, which means marginally better thermals, and more dust. If the tops are intakes it will be a positive pressure, which means more work for the rear exhaust and less dust. Your choice really.

I figured as much, nothing a monthly cleaning can't fix though. Thank goodness Fractal made the dust pans a literal 5 second job to remove. 

Thanks for the info, cheers. 

As you mention about putting front AIO and configure it on pull, so the fans on it will pull air through front panel->filter->radiator I would get pressure fans personally..

If you want to get the relatively highest pressure with the highest air flow, NF-A14 iPPC will always blows you with full breeze regardless of it's relatively more noisy than others.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Pressure optimized fans for the rad and airflow optimized or balanced fans everywhere else. 

Why not stick with the stock case and cooler fans?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Pressure optimized fans for the rad and airflow optimized or balanced fans everywhere else. 

Why not stick with the stock case and cooler fans?

Just wanting to add more cooling

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

Just wanting to add more cooling

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What AIO are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What AIO are you using?

Mostly just online, Newegg, Best Buy, Micro Center

US

Ehh, sticking a budget on it is hard, they're just additional fans so I'm not looking to spend too much. If I was actually needing it, I'd opt for the Riing or TT, maybe some Corsair ones. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Mostly just online, Newegg, Best Buy, Micro Center

US

Ehh, sticking a budget on it is hard, they're just additional fans so I'm not looking to spend too much. If I was actually needing it, I'd opt for the Riing or TT, maybe some Corsair ones. 

Ah, just realized I was replying to 2 of your threads which I presume is for the same discussion. 

MasterFan Pros and Riings aren't going to be much if any of a performance upgrade over the stock case or AIO fans.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, just realized I was replying to 2 of your threads which I presume is for the same discussion. 

MasterFan Pros and Riings aren't going to be much if any of a performance upgrade over the stock case or AIO fans.

They were related, yes. 

Well my current rig is running one rear exhaust with 2 front intakes due to the 280mm AIO. 

I was wanting to add two more fans to the top of the case, and I figured I may as well get a 3-pack to replace the rear as well. 

Are there any fans you recommend getting? I do prefer performance over flashy diodes, but this was more of an aesthetic decision. So a happy medium between noise and aesthetics would be great. I have my headphones on 90% of the time. 

Just now, DVA said:

They were related, yes. 

Well my current rig is running one rear exhaust with 2 front intakes due to the 280mm AIO. 

I was wanting to add two more fans to the top of the case, and I figured I may as well get a 3-pack to replace the rear as well. 

Are there any fans you recommend getting? I do prefer performance over flashy diodes, but this was more of an aesthetic decision. So a happy medium between noise and aesthetics would be great. I have my headphones on 90% of the time. 

The case should've come with 2 stock case fans. What happened to the original front fan? It can be moved to the top for exhaust. 

What kind of aesthetic are you aiming for and what AIO are you using?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The case should've come with 2 stock case fans. What happened to the original front fan? It can be moved to the top for exhaust. 

What kind of aesthetic are you aiming for and what AIO are you using?

I opted to keep out one of the stock fans because I felt the single top fan would look..well, incomplete. 

I was just wanting some subtle lighting, nothing too much. I have a Corsair h115i PRO.

As of writing this, I am only running RGB RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro), and the h115i AIO. The case is a Meshify-C.

It's a mix of black, red, and white set-up, so I wanted some soft white LED fans, with the option to change colors to get them to red sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, DVA said:

I opted to keep out one of the stock fans because I felt the single top fan would look..well, incomplete. 

I was just wanting some subtle lighting, nothing too much. I have a Corsair h115i PRO.

As of writing this, I am only running RGB RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro), and the h115i AIO. The case is a Meshify-C.

It's a mix of black, red, and white set-up, so I wanted some soft white LED fans, with the option to change colors to get them to red sometimes. 

The furthest back top mount is the most useful one for exhaust since the mounts further front would just exhaust air from the front intake before it gets to any components. 

If you want an upgrade in cooling, Corsair ML RGB's are good. LL's have better lighting options but don't perform as well. If you're not looking to spend very much, there aren't any real upgrades but instead side-grades in performance.