Gaming Laptops are always better?!

I am trying to find a good laptop for college and while I have a fully performing gaming pc with a gtx 1070ti, I am very tempted to buy a gaming laptop. For the range I am looking ($700-$900), I am seeing gaming laptops with pretty much the same specs as consumer laptops, but with a 1050 ti thrown in. I get that they are probably a little heavier but this seems like a marginal compromise to me since I don't mind carrying a little extra weight. So is there more to it or should I get a college productivity laptop that can also play pubg?

if you already have a gaming pc that will be at your dorm or wherever you are staying there is no point in getting a gaming laptop unless you are actually planning to game heavily at school

because of this I would recommend a productivity laptop like a thinkpad that is easy to take notes on and relatively light & cheap and using the extra money to upgrade you pc or something

They (low-end gaming laptops) usually sacrifice basically every other component in the pursuit of more power (battery life, screen quality, keyboard quality, trackpad quality, etc). If you already have a gaming PC get a nice non-gaming laptop so at least you have a good experience using it for what you bought it for.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

They (low-end gaming laptops) usually sacrifice basically every other component in the pursuit of more power (battery life, screen quality, keyboard quality, trackpad quality, etc). If you already have a gaming PC get a nice non-gaming laptop so at least you have a good experience using it for what you bought it for.

Couldn't agree more. Better to have 2 devices that are good at what they do. I mean a laptop with a mx150 would be fine if they want to do some very light gaming while still having ok battery life. 

Yeah I probably should be productive anyways and shouldn't have the temptation of a graphics card.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Spectre-13-x360-Laptop/dp/B07DMDCSFJ/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1542643219&sr=1-4&keywords=HP+Envy+x360+13  

This one seems to differentiate itself enough and provide features most other laptops cannot.

At that price range gaming laptops often have a straight up terrible keyboard. Not fun if you want to take a lot of notes in class

2 hours ago, aldoggy said:

For the range I am looking ($700-$900), I am seeing gaming laptops with pretty much the same specs as consumer laptops, but with a 1050 ti thrown in. I get that they are probably a little heavier but this seems like a marginal compromise to me since I don't mind carrying a little extra weight.

There are compromises, mainly weight and battery life. Possibly display quality, build quality and cooling issue

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128