Coffe lake 8600k idle and load temps

T0MMEN

Ive had my CPU for a year now, and I see all these videos on youtube. People having the same cooler and cpu as mine, sometimes worse cooler and higher end cpu. And they still get 20C idle temps.

My idle temps never go below 35C. Load temps are peeking at 72C ish. Usually around 50 while gaming.

But im just wondering is there some special trick to make the idle temps go down?

I use Balanced mode i windows, also speedstep in bios with turbo enabled and all that.

Cooler: Corsair h1151pro / 8600k 4.7GHZ 1.3v

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

There is no bonanza.

You cant magically make the temps go down.

Maybe you messed up installing your cooler.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Did the guys on the videos OC their CPU? That can make a difference between your and their's 8600K's. Also, try default settings and then compare the temps to OC.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

20C idle temps? thats below room temp for me. Whats your room temp? 

Iknow right. Thats why I dont understand. I think my room temp is around 22C. Maybe 24C at it highest point.

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

Just now, DOGEY said:

Did the guys on the videos OC their CPU? That can make a difference between your and their's 8600K's. Also, try default settings and then compare the temps to OC.

Default settings: Idle temps are the same, the only diffrence is the load peek doesnt go over 60C.

Just now, T0MMEN said:

Iknow right. Thats why I dont understand. I think my room temp is around 22C. Maybe 24C at it highest point.

fan curve? I get high idle temps bc i turn off my fans at low.

I idle at low 30s and reach high 60s while gaming with an 8600K at 4.4GHz 1.2v with a H212 EVO, so your temps seem quite high for such a high end water cooler. Also, try dropping the voltage down a bit. Try 1.25v. 

The 20C you saw in the videos is probably 20C above ambiant temperature. There is nothing wrong with 70 degrees peak temperature 

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

fan curve? I get high idle temps bc i turn off my fans at low.

22.png.2ef7d183e9e7fe52ed33f16fcf8f7212.png

I have the curve set so that every time im playing the fans go to 100% aka 35C on the liquid temps. And when under 35C the fans slow down to 25%

I idle at around 38 degrees Celsius with a modest single tower air cooler with two 120mm fans so I'd say you don't have much of a problem.

Nonetheless maybe re-seat your cooler and double check your TIM application

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

I idle at low 30s and reach high 60s while gaming with an 8600K at 4.4GHz 1.2v with a H212 EVO, so your temps seem quite high for such a high end water cooler. Also, try dropping the voltage down a bit. Try 1.25v. 

Cant drop the voltage. System crashes. I was pretty unlucky with the silicone lottery with this chip :/ Thats what im thinking, they seem a bit odd. And 1.3v isnt even that high.

Just now, Saieshan Dadi said:

I idle at around 38 degrees Celsius with a modest single tower air cooler with two 120mm fans so I'd say you don't have much of a problem.

Nonetheless maybe re-seat your cooler and double check your TIM application

Im thinking about doing that yeah. And i also use noctua tim. Imo thats a pretty decent tim.

1 minute ago, T0MMEN said:

Cant drop the voltage. System crashes. I was pretty unlucky with the silicone lottery with this chip :/ Thats what im thinking, they seem a bit odd. And 1.3v isnt even that high.

From what I see your fan curve explains a lot. Make it look a little more like a curve ;)

2 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

From what I see your fan curve explains a lot. Make it look a little more like a curve ;)

Maybe, but i like my system super quiet while not doing anything :)

3 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

Im thinking about doing that yeah. And i also use noctua tim. Imo thats a pretty decent tim.

Whether the TIM is good or not isn't the question. It all depends whether it was applied correctly and has enough coverage to sufficiently "Interface" with the processor and dissipate heat generated efficiently.

1 minute ago, Saieshan Dadi said:

Whether the TIM is good or not isn't the question. It all depends whether it was applied correctly and has enough coverage to sufficiently "Interface" with the processor and dissipate heat generated efficiently.

I get what you mean. But im guessing the application is also decent, ive swapped coolers many times so i "know" what im doing 

2 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

I get what you mean. But im guessing the application is also decent, ive swapped coolers many times so i "know" what im doing 

Even the most experienced of us are human 

Just now, Saieshan Dadi said:

Even the most experienced of us are human 

True, True.

So i just checked the application, and it was fine. Re applied the thermal compound, and remounted. Still the temperatures seem to be the same. The only thing i noticed is that the cooler tries to tilt a bit to the side, just had to give it a tug to the side and then it was fine.