What feature makes dark scenes viewable?

Twulz

Hi All,

What feature of a monitor should I be looking for that will allow me to see the detail in dark scenes?

For example watching Game of Thrones (even hooking up my ps4 to watch the bluray version), in all the dark scenes I can't see what's going on - a good example is the dragon skull scenes I couldn't even see most of the skulls! Is it a matter of VN vs IPS? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

That is my number 1 feature I want in a new monitor but secondary to that I'd like something for gaming - though I play things like Civilization more than FPS so if I have to give up some gaming performance to watch my game of thrones, so be it! I currently have a 23" Dell screen from 2009 that I will use as a second monitor when I upgrade and I'm using a GTX 970 so probably not interested in 4K just yet.

If you have any specific monitors that I should be looking for I'm all ears, otherwise just a point in the right direction of the features I should be looking for to be able to see the dark scenes would be greatly appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Twulz said:

Hi All,

What feature of a monitor should I be looking for that will allow me to see the detail in dark scenes?

For example watching Game of Thrones (even hooking up my ps4 to watch the bluray version), in all the dark scenes I can't see what's going on - a good example is the dragon skull scenes I couldn't even see most of the skulls! Is it a matter of VN vs IPS? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

That is my number 1 feature I want in a new monitor but secondary to that I'd like something for gaming - though I play things like Civilization more than FPS so if I have to give up some gaming performance to watch my game of thrones, so be it! I currently have a 23" Dell screen from 2009 that I will use as a second monitor when I upgrade and I'm using a GTX 970 so probably not interested in 4K just yet.

If you have any specific monitors that I should be looking for I'm all ears, otherwise just a point in the right direction of the features I should be looking for to be able to see the dark scenes would be greatly appreciated.

It's not really a feature with a name, you just need a monitor that is properly calibrated so it will not exhibit black crush.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's not really a feature with a name, you just need a monitor that is properly calibrated so it will not exhibit black crush.

Oh OK, does that mean it's something I can calibrate on my old monitor too? (I'll still be getting a new one, but would be useful even on the 2nd monitor).

A quick google also tells me that this is more common for VN monitors, or is my best bet to google reviews for potential screens to see if they mention black crush being a specific issue? I'm glad I've finally got a name for it though - thank you!

32 minutes ago, Twulz said:

Oh OK, does that mean it's something I can calibrate on my old monitor too? (I'll still be getting a new one, but would be useful even on the 2nd monitor).

A quick google also tells me that this is more common for VN monitors, or is my best bet to google reviews for potential screens to see if they mention black crush being a specific issue? I'm glad I've finally got a name for it though - thank you!

Try the windows built in display calibration. Complete the calibration setup and see if it gets better.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

7 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Try the windows built in display calibration. Complete the calibration setup and see if it gets better.

Thanks, I just did that but it seems the original calibration was mostly correct for this screen. The blacks are very washed out unless I make everything else extremely dark, then I can't see much of anything anyway.

I'm definitely still getting the new screen, just trying to determine exactly what I should be looking for.

VA.

That is what I use anyway.

To get the same level of brightness in shadows on a TN panel would wash out the rest of the scene

What to look for is a contrast ratio of 3000:1 or better.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV