Should I activate windows 10?

DinhanhGamer
Go to solution Solved by Zmax,

I have read that the updates will stops after a period. I can not find anything in Microsoft web site for this. It may be pure speculation.

After installing windows, I did not activate it, and there’s supposed to be a watermark, but I don’t see any. So my question is, is there anypoint in activating windows 10?

If you wont activate it then why did you buy a W10 copy?

Its just the watermark and personalization.

Linus does the same thing, in not activating it.

I didn’t buy the windows 10 copy, I just built a pc and used the installation media tool on it

Just now, DinhanhGamer said:

I didn’t buy the windows 10 copy, I just built a pc and used the installation media tool on it

hard drives dont come with installation media tools

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

3 minutes ago, DinhanhGamer said:

No I used a usb for the media creation tool

so you put a windows installer on a usb and installed it from there. alright. you said it came with the hard drive.. i mean in that case you dont HAVE to install it, but theres a few features for technical users you wont have

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

I have read that the updates will stops after a period. I can not find anything in Microsoft web site for this. It may be pure speculation.

I forget the period of time if its 7 days or 30 days, but the watermark WILL appear rather soon and prompt you to activate.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

do you want to get rid of the watermark, do you want the settings menu's that are grey out to work? if not NO if you do YES. if you don't care the source of a key you can get one for like 4-5 bucks, some people have issue with these "grey market" keys, but the shit works.

3 hours ago, Zmax said:

I ran unactivated for a year and still got updates. I would say it's pure speculation, possibly fueled by how broken the update system can be sometimes, I've have fully activated (factory installed on the laptop or upgraded from 8.1 during the free upgrade period) copies have troubles getting the larger major updates at times and have to do them manually with a flash drive.

If you're asking about technical possibility of using not activated Windows - answer is YES.

If you're asking is this against the law - it is.

Read EULA and there is information that you may use only activated Windows. I wrote about this some time ago in different thread.

Using not activated Windows is the same illegal as using pirated version.