upload speed for streaming?

iLostMyXbox21

so i hear 3mbps upload should be enough, but is it different for ps4? also, do i need more snice i wanna stream an online game? 

i wanna live stream R6s to yt or twitch

another question to avoid 2 different posts:

how do i know the actual speeds im getting on my ps4? like the build in test says i get 40mbps download but everyone (including the person who hooked up our internet) says it is not accurate.. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Just hook yourself up to Ethernet and if you pay for good internet speeds then it's nothing to worry about.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Just hook yourself up to Ethernet and if you pay for good internet speeds then it's nothing to worry about.

we pay for 100mbps download, but idk about upload

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

3MB up is usually recommended for HD(720p) streams.

what about for 1080p?

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

we pay for 100mbps download, but idk about upload

Run a speedtest and find out what your upload is.

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

what about for 1080p?

1080p is around 6MB up if I recall correctly. Also keep in mind that encoding a 1080p stream takes a fair bit more power than 720p.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

3MB up is usually recommended for HD(720p) streams.

It is?

6Mbps should be fine for 720p but 1080p would be bandwidth starved.

10Mbps should be fine for 1080p.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

34 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Run a speedtest and find out what your upload is.

1080p is around 6MB up if I recall correctly. Also keep in mind that encoding a 1080p stream takes a fair bit more power than 720p.

idk about encoding because i use ps4 for streaming, so i can only change the quality and a few other things, but not bitrate or encoding

33 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It is?

6Mbps should be fine for 720p but 1080p would be bandwidth starved.

10Mbps should be fine for 1080p.

and how do i know the true amount i get on ps4?

There's megabits  (mbps) and megabytes (MB)  .... there's 8 megabits in 1 MB

Your internet plan and your internet speeds are in megabits ... you get  100 mbps download (that's around 12.5 MB/s) 

The maximum streaming speed will be your upload speed, minus around 0.5 - 1 mbps. If your ISP limits your upload speed to 3 mbps, you CAN NOT configure your broadcast software to stream at 3 mbps, because the video stream is not the only thing using the internet at that time, so some "room" must be left for other things.

At best, you'd probably be able to go with 2.7 mbps  ... 0.3 mbps must be left as reserve, for other things.

There's no  set bitrate value for a certain resolution, it really depends on the quality you want to achieve with your stream and the type of game you're streaming.

In general, it is said that 3 mbps is enough for 720p, in the sense that you get a reasonable amount of quality in that amount of data. 

For 1080p, most people say 6 mbps because that's the maximum value Twitch allows "regular" people to upload at, while Youtube allows even 10mbps or more. For a majority of games, 6 mbps can be enough for 1080p, but for others it can be too little.

You  can use hardware encoding to stream a game, or you can use your processor (software encoding) to encode the video and upload it.

PS4 will use hardware encoding, it uses a tiny dedicated portion of the video card to compress the video. The same can be done with PCs, using nvEnc or AMF to use the video ard to compress video. 

These hardware encoding options can compress video fast and with minimal processor usage, but because they're fixed in hardware they have minimal configuration options and in general the quality is a bit worse compared to software encoding.  For example, at a fixed bitrate like 3 mbps, you could say the image quality of hardware encoding could be only 90% of the image quality of software encoding.

If you have a powerful processor, you can use software encoding to compress the video and then you have a lot of options... you can trade image quality to compress faster and with less processor usage, or you can increase the processing power in order to squeeze more image quality in an amount of data.

So for example, you could get the same image quality if you use 2.5 mbps and 50% of your processor power  OR 3 mbps and only 35% of your processor power ... same broadcast quality but you're trading more upload data for less processor used.

Your PS4 will have some options in some menus somewhere, where you can configure how much bandwidth to use (that mbps value)

If it doesn't let you, then experiment ... stream to twitch  at various quality levels and watch your own stream using a PC , click on the GEAR icon in the corner, select the (source) at video quality and then from Advanced, enable "video stats"  and you'll get something like this:

ninja_stream.jpg.c980ddeead76f02160b613d36429c4a1.jpg

ninja is big deal streamer on twitch so he's allowed to use more than 6 mbps .. so you can see he streams 1080p 60fps at 7.5 mbps  (~ 7530 kbps when I took the picture)

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There's megabits  (mbps) and megabytes (MB)  .... there's 8 megabits in 1 MB

Your internet plan and your internet speeds are in megabits ... you get  100 mbps download (that's around 12.5 MB/s) 

The maximum streaming speed will be your upload speed, minus around 0.5 - 1 mbps. If your ISP limits your upload speed to 3 mbps, you CAN NOT configure your broadcast software to stream at 3 mbps, because the software is not the only thing using the internet at that time, so some "room" must be left for other things.

At best, you'd probably be able to go with 2.7 mbps  ... 0.3 mbps must be left as reserve, for other things.

There's no  set bitrate value for a certain resolution, it really depends on the quality you want to achieve with your stream and the type of game you're streaming.

In general, it is said that 3 mbps is enough for 720p, in the sense that you get a reasonable amount of quality in that amount of data. 

For 1080p, most people say 6 mbps because that's the maximum value Twitch allows "regular" people to upload at, while Youtube allows even 10mbps or more. For a majority of games, 6 mbps can be enough for 1080p, but for others it can be too little.

You  can use hardware encoding to stream a game, or you can use your processor (software encoding) to encode the video and upload it.

PS4 will use hardware encoding, it uses a tiny dedicated portion of the video card to compress the video. The same can be done with PCs, using nvEnc or AMF to use the video ard to compress video. 

These hardware encoding options can compress video fast and with minimal processor usage, but because they're fixed in hardware they have minimal configuration options and in general the quality is a bit worse compared to software encoding.  For example, at a fixed bitrate like 3 mbps, you could say the image quality of hardware encoding could be only 90% of the image quality of software encoding.

If you have a powerful processor, you can use software encoding to compress the video and then you have a lot of options... you can trade image quality to compress faster and with less processor usage, or you can increase the processing power in order to squeeze more image quality in an amount of data.

So for example, you could get the same image quality if you use 2.5 mbps and 50% of your processor power  OR 3 mbps and only 35% of your processor power ... same broadcast quality but you're trading more upload data for less processor used.

im not sure of my upload speed, it changes every time i check it.. sometimes i get 3 sometimes i get 10.. i think the most common ground is 5 or 6 but the best i got (idk what was happening) was almost 400 upload (it was around 370 or so) which only lasted for a few minutes but it went back down to the normal... but the ps4 test is actually not accurate. it will say i get 30-40 download but when g in my computer (or the service provider tests it with their tablet) it is about 70-100 which is what we pay for.. they way they talk about it is “megabyte” and not megabit, i do not know if they just make the same mistake everytime we talk to them.. but that is what they say. all i know is i always have my ping within 1-30 when gaming and i stream offline at 1080p with no lag, but that is not hardlined.. i have not tried streaming an online game while hardlined but i tried when not.. and i had a bit of lag. however that was solved when i switched games (i was playing paladins but switched to r6s)

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

ninja is big deal streamer on twitch so he's allowed to use more than 6 mbps

Ninja also pays for fiber internet

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

OP if you are getting 100 down you most likely are getting 10/15 up. 10megs is plenty for 1080p. 

Just run a speed test. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

OP if you are getting 100 down you most likely are getting 10/15 up. 10megs is plenty for 1080p. 

Just run a speed test. 

i get 100 download i just needed to know how much upload i need

and i have run a speed test, but the ps4 speed test is not accurate

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ninja also pays for fiber internet

I have cable internet and my internet plan is 500 mbps down / 25 mbps up and I get these speeds 24/7.  Competition offers more, but I don't need more and i prefer reliability. 

Point is quality internet connections can be done on cable or even other means, you don't need fiber to do < 10 mbps as Ninja does. You just need a decent ISP.

Anyway back to topic...

When you're doing speed tests, of course speeds will vary because the test will be done against a random server (computer) located in a random part of the country. The site with the speed test will try to assign you a server that's close to you but it's not guaranteed. So for example, if you're in US, at one moment you may test your speed with a server in Seattle, and a half hour later you may test with a server in Texas... 

The longer the distance between you and a remote computer, the higher the chances the speed will be a bit slower.

Use http://www.speedtest.net/ and after you do the initial test, go through the interface and pick various locations around your town (click on settings and then click on Change server)

If you're in US, Twitch has servers in several datacenters, pick some of the bigger places that have huge datacenters, like Dallas, Chicago, Washington .. these are places where  Twitch most likely has servers.... actually you can see here the locations: https://stream.twitch.tv/ingests/

So you can check your upload speed to locations where Twitch has servers, find the closest geographically to you and test. 

5 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Run a speed test on your PC or phone to get an estimate of upload. We can tell you how much you need all day.

6 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Whos your ISP? That could be a good indication on what you got. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Whos your ISP? That could be a good indication on what you got. 

spectrum (used to be bright house networks)

8 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

spectrum (used to be bright house networks)

Id say maybe 5-10 Mbps. That what most cable cos give. Unless your WOW and you give 50 Mbps. But most cable co's have shit upload speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.