Hackintosh for my dad

Morphix
18 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Since when? It's been banned forever.

The Community Standards aren't fixed and change from time to time, this happens to be something we changed recently, hackintosh discussions are now permitted, but ways to illegally acquire MacOS is still not allowed ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 minutes ago, Morphix said:

It looks to be about 30€ more in total, what am I really gaining?

a great platform with upgrade possebilities up to 2020 or 2021 (not sure), as 1151 v2 will probebly not be used after this generation. if you get a good mobo with it, you can already upgrade it from that up to a 2700x.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

a great platform with upgrade possebilities up to 2020 or 2021 (not sure), as 1151 v2 will probebly not be used after this generation. if you get a good mobo with it, you can already upgrade it from that up to a 2700x.

Fair argument, I'll look into it then

1 minute ago, Morphix said:

Fair argument, I'll look into it then

also, if you want something cheaper, you can also get a 200ge for about 50 bucks that also uses am4

just don't get those other athlons, they aren't that good and the stock cooler from those are really loud

Edited by LukeSavenije

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

also, if you want something cheaper, you can also get a 200ge for about 50 bucks that also uses am4

Amazing, this is a lot more compelling! 

Again, AMD hackintoshes aren't for beginners, and you CANNOT by any means run regular updates on macOS since they can't run the standard mach kernel. So be sure to keep that in mind. Updates require extra work.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Again, AMD hackintoshes aren't for beginners, and you CANNOT by any means run regular updates on macOS since they can't run the standard mach kernel. So be sure to keep that in mind. Updates require extra work.

So Intel platforms are indeed better?

16 minutes ago, Morphix said:

So Intel platforms are indeed better?

For Hackintosh, yes. General rule of thumb is to buy the configs shown at tonymacx86 if you want easy configuration, compatibility and generally a close-to-real-mac experience.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

For Hackintosh, yes. General rule of thumb is to buy the configs shown at tonymacx86 if you want easy configuration, compatibility and generally a close-to-real-mac experience.

Okay, that's the general recommendations I've seen almost everywhere, which is why I went with Intel in the first place. That makes sense, thank you!

Best way to get your Dad's Hackintosh up and running quickly and without a pain is to follow this tutorial: