Hackintosh for my dad

Morphix

Hi everyone!

I'm wasn't sure where I should post this but this thread seemed to be the most suitable, forgive me if it's wrong.

So my dad has an old 2009 IMac and it's getting very very slow, to the point where it's unusable. So I thought I'd build him a Hackintosh for christmas!

I'm planning to get something similar to this:

CPU: Pentium G5500 GOld

RAM: 4-8GB

Storage: 256GB SSD

All in a Mini-ITX package, with a B360N-WIFI from Gigabyte (I heard it's very good for a Hackintosh).

I figure a 300W PSU should be more than enough... 

If you have anything better to recommand, keep in mind I'd like to stay around or under 400€ ($450). 

I'm also a bit concerned that a hackintosh would require a lot more maintenance than a full blown mac, and I don't want to spend hours playing IT support. 

The new mac minis seem cool but also quite expensive, but at least I'm sure they'd "just work"...

Thank you for your help :)

Hackintoshes do require a lot of setup time and are known to break. I personally don’t have much experience making Hackintoshes but if you copy paste this thread to TonyMacx86 you should be golden. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Just wanted to put it out there that we aren't allowed to talk about hackintosh on this forum.

We actually are. Check the community guidelines. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Did it change recently? I could have sworn that last time I saw a thread about this it was closed because we weren't allowed. Something about legal reasons. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Since when? It's been banned forever.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Did it change recently? I could have sworn that last time I saw a thread about this it was closed because we weren't allowed. Something about legal reasons. 

I had that too, it changed a while ago

about that pc, I personally like the 2200g, but I don't know how that would do with hackingtosh. I only emulated mac os once with vmware player 14 and an extention

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hackintoshes do require a lot of setup time and are known to break. I personally don’t have much experience making Hackintoshes but if you copy paste this thread to TonyMacx86 you should be golden. 

Thanks for the heads up I'll post over there then!

20 minutes ago, Morphix said:

old 2009 IMac

Don't forget the graphics card. Not to mention, you're going from a dual core to a dual core with hyperthreading. Give your old man some real muscle, grad a quad core. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

about that pc, I personally like the 2200g, but I don't know how that would do with hackingtosh. I only emulated mac os once with vmware player 14 and an extention

What's the difference with the 5500g? I don't think it really matters, it's still the same platform...

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Wouldn't count on that Vega IGP to be supported. Best option is still to have something like a RX460/560 dGPU.

@Morphix the G5500 is Intel Pentium, the 2200G is a Ryzen 3 APU from AMD. The APU is significantly faster but AMD hackintoshes aren't for beginners.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Morphix said:

What's the difference with the 5500g? I don't think it really matters, it's still the same platform...

I mean the ryzen 2200g for the notice. It doesn't matter, but it's a different platform. 

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Wouldn't count on that Vega IGP to be supported. Best option is still to have something like a RX460/560 dGPU.

not sure tho, the new macbooks use vega igpu's, right?

Just now, fasauceome said:

Don't forget the graphics card. Not to mention, you're going from a dual core to a dual core with hyperthreading. Give your old man some real muscle, grad a quad core. 

Also going from DDR2 to DDR4, 5400rpm HDD to SATA SSD... 

I don't want to spend tons, my dad only does web browsing and occasional light photo editing, the new pentiums do have a lot of muscle imo, especially compared to a Core 2 Duo!

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not sure tho, the new macbooks use vega igpu's, right?

Nah still Polaris. The iMac Pro is the only machine rocking Vega.

I mean the ryzen 2200g for the notice. It doesn't matter, but it's a different platform. 

oh my bad, idk if ryzen works on hackintoshes :o

Is the GPU really important? again it's just for web browsing

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Since when? It's been banned forever.

1D26C4FB-6B7C-49B4-AC6D-E9261D3708E9.jpeg

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, Morphix said:

Is the GPU really important? again it's just for web browsing

I know, but the ryzen is actually faster and not that much more expensive

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-Gold-G5500-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/m484140vsm441832

Edited by LukeSavenije
for the link

I know, but the ryzen is actually faster and not that much more expensive

Even with a mini-ITX MoBo with Wi-Fi? 

Just now, Morphix said:

Even with a mini-ITX MoBo with Wi-Fi? 

I haven't build in anything smaller than atx, but it should be fine as it isn't that hot of a chip

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I haven't build in anything smaller than atx, but it should be fine as it isn't that hot of a chip

It looks to be about 30€ more in total, what am I really gaining?

10 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Nah still Polaris. The iMac Pro is the only machine rocking Vega.

They just released a macbook pro model with vega

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad