Cut the case to get more airflow?

jaydeltaa

Helly guys,

I did recently bought a Case and a new GPU to pair with my 2700X.

Sadly, the GPU overheats like hell, it doesnt has almost 0 space between the "line in blue" and the GPU"...

I get will 3DMark 11 to 92ºC with no OC at all...

So what can I do? I was looking at the case and I can maybe (or not) cut the blue line so that I get better airflow?!

And my frontal 200mm isn´t yet working do the lack of motherboard 4 Pin fan place.... but I gona solve it with a splitter...

Any sugestion? No I cant buy another case!

1.PNG

Well, what card do you have? The actual model of the card (asus strix, gigabyte g1, etc). You might drop a few degrees. However if you can mount a fan in the bottom front or front bottom of the case, I would do that. You can also try leaving the side panel off. Cutting the case where you have marked will likely help, but the power supply will still be below it. It will depend more on the clearance between the PSU and GPU

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

lets assume your psu fan facing downward of case, it will have blocked 75% of the "line in blue" area. cutting up may may help, but not sufficient in your case

Is the PSU Shroud "basement" divider removable in your case?   They sometimes are.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

Getting the front fan working is extremely important. Do you have ANY fans blowing IN on your case? If not, THAT'S your problem. 

When I tested all the fans on my case, I found that the bottom fan and front fan had the most effect on the GPU temp. 

What fans DO you have working? Are they blowing in or out?

26 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Well, what card do you have? The actual model of the card (asus strix, gigabyte g1, etc). You might drop a few degrees. However if you can mount a fan in the bottom front or front bottom of the case, I would do that. You can also try leaving the side panel off. Cutting the case where you have marked will likely help, but the power supply will still be below it. It will depend more on the clearance between the PSU and GPU

I have a MSI RTX 2070 Armor edition.

But the space its not even more then 2mm from the left side of the case.

If would cut that part, it will increase some space and the other half of the card will have alote more space I guess.

I have my left panel open bro, thats why Im worried :S

But yes, I have a 200MM front fan but I can´t connect since the board has only 2x 4 PIN connections and Im using it for the cooler.

I ordered a splitter Y with 3 connections of 4 Pin to 3. Hope I can connect after that my front and the top (On the top side I have a corsair HP version it does 2350RPM)

19 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

lets assume your psu fan facing downward of case, it will have blocked 75% of the "line in blue" area. cutting up may may help, but not sufficient in your case

It is face down. I don´t belive its 75% but 50% of the card, still it will have a little more space...

I took photos as u can see down... well I have more then 50% with alote space and still 3x the space I have now from the PSU to the Card.  I also gona put the 200mm fan to work after I get the splitter or whatever its called!

15 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Is the PSU Shroud "basement" divider removable in your case?   They sometimes are.

I wish, I already searched, they have special things attached but still its all connected!

Have to cut for sure... but how and will it improve?

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Getting the front fan working is extremely important. Do you have ANY fans blowing IN on your case? If not, THAT'S your problem. 

When I tested all the fans on my case, I found that the bottom fan and front fan had the most effect on the GPU temp. 

What fans DO you have working? Are they blowing in or out?

No airflow is coming in yet.

I have a 200mm front fan and a 140mm top fan (both are good and 4 pin connections) but I don´t have any connections left for them since the Cooler took 2... I ordered a 3 splitter Y...

Ye I was wondering it the front air would help or not...

20181109_043929.jpg

20181109_043944.jpg

5 minutes ago, jaydeltaa said:

No airflow is coming in yet.

I have a 200mm front fan and a 140mm top fan (both are good and 4 pin connections) but I don´t have any connections left for them since the Cooler took 2... I ordered a 3 splitter Y...

Ye I was wondering it the front air would help or not...

This is your problem. No air in = computer cooks. Unhook one of your cpu cooler fans (they should both be connected to the same header anyway) and connect your front fan and see how temps differ. 

Also the "top" fan should be blowing out not in. 

Welp, better water cool it!

Joking aside, if you're gonna cut it where you have it marked, you might as well cut it here (along the green):

Untitled.png

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

This is your problem. No air in = computer cooks. Unhook one of your cpu cooler fans (they should both be connected to the same header anyway) and connect your front fan and see how temps differ. 

Also the "top" fan should be blowing out not in. 

Well the top fan is pointing out no worry there, its blowing out (not connected yet).

My CPU is water cooled and has good temps even with OC...

BUT as u know a mastercooler 120 takes 2x PIN, one is a 3x and the other a 4x. Can´t connect anything else... Im guessing the 3x is the water system and the 4x is the fan itself.

So, the splitter may help, no?!

Thanks!

Just now, Cereal5 said:

Welp, better water cool it!

Joking aside, if you're gonna cut it where you have it marked, you might as well cut it here (along the green):

Untitled.png

Ye good sugestion, gona do it.

Can´t spend money in watercooling bro!

BUT... I wanna... well a help, HOW TO CUT?

I have alote tools from my dad, he died but he left me any typ of "construction" tools u can imagine... but I don´t know what is going to cut this... grrr sorry im so retard but thanks I gona take ur advice of the green line!

1 minute ago, jaydeltaa said:

Well the top fan is pointing out no worry there, its blowing out (not connected yet).

My CPU is water cooled and has good temps even with OC...

BUT as u know a mastercooler 120 takes 2x PIN, one is a 3x and the other a 4x. Can´t connect anything else... Im guessing the 3x is the water system and the 4x is the fan itself.

So, the splitter may help, no?!

Thanks!

Ah yeah. In that case, try to disconnect the FAN, and connect the front fan instead. Don't run it like this for long, just do it to test. The pump needs to always run obviously. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Ah yeah. In that case, try to disconnect the FAN, and connect the front fan instead. Don't run it like this for long, just do it to test. The pump needs to always run obviously. 

Are u sure? Well today (in my case its already friday, Spain, its 5 am) so I gona get the splitter, shouldn´t I wait for it 1rst and then try?!

Funny on IDLE i get 35ºC on GPU but it is on 300MHz ofc. I cant even OC.. and ofc I can´t control the fan speeds with the MSI Afterburner (do not know why).

Keep in mind i have my left panel open... and front too (no cover in front)

3 hours ago, jaydeltaa said:

I can´t control the fan speeds with the MSI Afterburner

Did you check the box that says "enable user defined fan control" under settings>fan?

3 hours ago, jaydeltaa said:

HOW TO CUT?

Metal sheers, tin snips, metal cutters, whatever you call them. Basically just big scissors.

[Under Construction]

5 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Did you check the box that says "enable user defined fan control" under settings>fan?

Metal sheers, tin snips, metal cutters, whatever you call them. Basically just big scissors.

Nice bro, I did changed the version to beta 9 and now I have that option, I was using a final release thats why I didn´t had any control over any OC... lol

So, I have this at home (Photo):

I don´t know the name of this things not even in spanish lol.... and I don´t know what is safe or not!

20181109_052218.jpg

20181109_052240.jpg

20181109_052247.jpg

20181109_052258.jpg

20181109_052324.jpg

Either of the angle grinders with the cut off wheels (skinny one) should be fine. Obviously you'd want to take the GPU and PSU out at a minumum, probably best taking everything out.

[Under Construction]

4 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Either of the angle grinders with the cut off wheels (skinny one) should be fine. Obviously you'd want to take the GPU and PSU out at a minumum, probably best taking everything out.

Ofc I take everything out bro.

BTW, U mean this one?

Just did 3DMark 11

Capturar.PNG

20181109_052240.jpg

Seriously just wait until you get your fans sorted out before you potentially ruin your case. No airflow = hot things. Airflow = cool things. 

42 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Seriously just wait until you get your fans sorted out before you potentially ruin your case. No airflow = hot things. Airflow = cool things. 

Roger that. I gona do that and later today I gona give my feedback if it made any diference.

Cutting will be a plan B... and I´m scared to use that thing to cut... I tested it on a fine tube and it was scary but hey Im 31, shouldn´t be that scared right? Im waiting for de Splitter and I hope it works!

All you really need is a fan and something to hold it and blow in the direction of the card. That's it.

Something like that:
https://www.quietpc.com/br123ff1

Or ziptie a fan behind the Card and let it blow over it.

That should be enough and you don't have to destroy your case.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, jaydeltaa said:

Any sugestion? No I cant buy another case!

1.PNG

That looks like the Phanteks Evolv ITX.... Have you tried just removing the front panel? (Leave the dust filter on) I imagine that would help quite a bit. 

Also having the front fan actually pulling in air helps tremendously. I would hold off any modding of your case until you hvae all the fans in your case working first.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

All you really need is a fan and something to hold it and blow in the direction of the card. That's it.

Something like that:
https://www.quietpc.com/br123ff1

Or ziptie a fan behind the Card and let it blow over it.

That should be enough and you don't have to destroy your case.

Yes I have a front fan 200mm but not connected yet, waiting for a splitter to do it.

I hope I don´t have to cut but Im affraid that the space between bottom and fan of GPU is almost 0 and maybe the fans of the GPUI aren´t spinning!

Thanks for ur advice!

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

That looks like the Phanteks Evolv ITX.... Have you tried just removing the front panel? (Leave the dust filter on) I imagine that would help quite a bit. 

Also having the front fan actually pulling in air helps tremendously. I would hold off any modding of your case until you hvae all the fans in your case working first.

Yes its that case that u mention.

I did remove every single panel, no results but keep in mind that Im not running any fan inside (only the CPU Water cooler).

So ye... Hope I don´t need to cut, but maybe I need it because the fan of GPU doesn´t seem to have space do "run" but maybe its just my impression.

Im waiting for the splitter damn they are slow, any minute now...   then I connect it and I give it a try before any modding!

Thanks for ur advice!

1 minute ago, jaydeltaa said:

Yes its that case that u mention.

I did remove every single panel, no results but keep in mind that Im not running any fan inside (only the CPU Water cooler).

So ye... Hope I don´t need to cut, but maybe I need it because the fan of GPU doesn´t seem to have space do "run" but maybe its just my impression.

Im waiting for the splitter damn they are slow, any minute now...   then I connect it and I give it a try before any modding!

I am confident a lot of your temperature issues will be solved by having your case fans spinning! :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I am confident a lot of your temperature issues will be solved by having your case fans spinning! :) 

Dude I hope so, it would be sooooo great.

I was like WTF 90ºC for running a RTX? Well it does perfome well before it reaches the 90ºC.   HOPE u are right!

What I was afraid was the space between GPU and Fan of GPU are slim... and that maybe the GPU doesn´t have the fan running!

FANS ARE ALMOST HERE UWWWFFFF   DHL takes his time damn!  

EDIT. Bad news, fans splitter coming only next weak :(  I missed the guy for about 30 min that I was away from my house LOL

Guys, I did cut it, I had to.

The 1rst fan wasn´t spinning, was touching the ground. Now I have a big difference in temps without even having the 2 fans working (200mm and the 140mm) and I did overclock it, now I got a great score. I even changed CPU to the 2600 (non X) and did overclock it.

So here is my 3DMARK score and temps.

And there are the cut "non professional" btw are the connectores to PCI to GPU correct in that order?! Sorry to ask!

20181109_200031.jpg

20181109_184118.jpg

20181109_184954.jpg

20181109_192335.jpg

20181109_192342.jpg

20181109_192415.jpg

20181109_192920.jpg

20181109_193245.jpg

20181109_193250.jpg