HELP! I'm a noob and need help with a PSU question...

SpacemanSpiff_
Go to solution Solved by emosun,

on a 1070? get the 500 and give yourself some room

So I'm putting together my first PC system for gaming and light productivity work using various programs in the adobe suite (I'm a design student). It's supposed to be a mini ITX 'space-saving' build since I am a poor ass student with limited room space. 

This is the parts list I have together so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600

CPU Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212X

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI Mini ITX

Memory: Team 1x 8GB DDR4-2400 (I plan to add a second dimm for 16Gb ram down the line when I can afford it)

Storage: 1x WD blue 250Gb SSD (Boot SSD)

1x WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD (Large file storage)

Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming (We do a lot of modelling and rendering work in design and I figure this card will do a good job without breaking the bank)

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 400w
All put together in a Bitfenix prodigy case with 3 be quiet Silent wings 3 pwm case fans.

Ok so my question is Is the 400w power supply enough to run this system? I have consulted various PSU wattage calculators online and I've got loads of varying answers, with some saying it will run with a minimum of 325w, while others saying I need at least a 650w PSU. I have already purchased the 400w PSU but I can return it and buy a 500w PSU if I need to. If someone could give me a more definitive answer I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Note: I live in New Zealand and PC components are bloody expensive here so please bear that in mind before recommending a 1200 watt power supply or something ridiculous that I could never afford. Thanks :D

1 minute ago, emosun said:

on a 1070? get the 500 and give yourself some room

I second this.

2 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

I second this.

#metoo

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

400W is plenty. The 1070 is a 150W card, the system will draw under 250W at load. 

:)