A video idea with SSDs & Xbox 360s

I remember reading in the Xbox 360 Wikipedia (ohno) article, and it stated that the hard drive for the Xbox 360 E & Slim were just run-of-the-mill 2.5" SATA drives in a custom enclosure with a custom firmware slapped on it so then you can store your saves for Just Dance 2019 on it. (Most people would question this, and yes, Just Dance games are still being made for the Wii, Wii U and the 360. Yup.) That made me wonder, can you put an SSD in the enclosure, copy the files the Xbox 360 regurgitates onto a USB to the SSD to ensure the 360 recognizes it & legitimately use it in the system? I really want to know.

DDR

10 minutes ago, Sonen10 said:

I remember reading in the Xbox 360 Wikipedia (ohno) article, and it stated that the hard drive for the Xbox 360 E & Slim were just run-of-the-mill 2.5" SATA drives in a custom enclosure with a custom firmware slapped on it so then you can store your saves for Just Dance 2019 on it. (Most people would question this, and yes, Just Dance games are still being made for the Wii, Wii U and the 360. Yup.) That made me wonder, can you put an SSD in the enclosure, copy the files the Xbox 360 regurgitates onto a USB to the SSD to ensure the 360 recognizes it & legitimately use it in the system? I really want to know.

DDR

Well yes, you can replace any mechanical drive with an SSD assuming the SSD fits, functionally they're identical.

I wouldn't recommend it though, infact I wouldn't recommend you use a straight SSD in any games console (including PS4 Pro and Xbone X) as the operating systems do not support TRIM, both Sony & Microsoft recommend using SSHDs which offer increased speeds but won't suffer from no garbage collection.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

No it won't work. As you mentioned, the 360 uses HDD with a special firmware, so you will need specific HDD brands and models that are compatible. There are no SSD that are compatible.

Source : I used to sell custom HDD on eBay a decade ago ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, Sonen10 said:

DDR

You need to hack the SSD to accept the XBox 360 Filesystem.And I don't know if there is a way to do that. There is however a way to hack certain HDDs.

And I'm pretty sure that M$ hasn't changed this and you still need a Drive with a hacked, compatible Firmware...

And only Western Digital Drives were able to be hacked. No idea how that is today.

So the best you can do is a 7200rpm HDD inside the 360. That's what I have a 250GB WD Black...

And if you really use it, 500GB is a good way to go. Yo do not need much more for last gen consoles...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

wow. dasa lota replies. for being online for only a day, wow.

On 11/2/2018 at 12:15 PM, Stefan Payne said:

You need to hack the SSD to accept the XBox 360 Filesystem.And I don't know if there is a way to do that. There is however a way to hack certain HDDs.

And I'm pretty sure that M$ hasn't changed this and you still need a Drive with a hacked, compatible Firmware...

And only Western Digital Drives were able to be hacked. No idea how that is today.

So the best you can do is a 7200rpm HDD inside the 360. That's what I have a 250GB WD Black...

And if you really use it, 500GB is a good way to go. Yo do not need much more for last gen consoles...

Hit the nail on the head.

That's the same thing I did. I put a 500 GB 7200 RPM WD Scorpio Black into my old FAT using the firmware hack method. I was pretty happy about it as they never even sold a 500 GB drive for the FAT. Still works perfect to this day, although I hardly play it thanks to One backcompat.

Austin Evans has a video about "updating" 360, hopefully it helps scratch your itch a little. If you desire more 360 hardware content in general, MrMario2011 is worth checking out. (And since I'm apparently linking the entire Internet now, I'll just leave one of my favourite documentaries about 360 in general here too.)

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

The constant flow of GwG and fear of the shutdown of 360 services managed to fill my 500+250GBs, wasn't expecting to see that day but oh well. I'm sure they'll never fill my new 500+1000GB combo!111

I regret being lazy when I upgraded my "internal", but this whole backwards compatible thing is out of hand enough already, real hardware deserves some love too. ?‍♂️ (I ran into some trouble with replicating whatever needed to be copied for the bc support, so I gave up, and going back now to fix that feels too much of a hassle.)

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 8:22 PM, tatte said:

Austin Evans has a video about "updating" 360, hopefully it helps scratch your itch a little. If you desire more 360 hardware content in general, MrMario2011 is worth checking out. (And since I'm apparently linking the entire Internet now, I'll just leave one of my favourite documentaries about 360 in general here too.)

The constant flow of GwG and fear of the shutdown of 360 services managed to fill my 500+250GBs, wasn't expecting to see that day but oh well. I'm sure they'll never fill my new 500+1000GB combo!111

I regret being lazy when I upgraded my "internal", but this whole backwards compatible thing is out of hand enough already, real hardware deserves some love too. ?‍♂️ (I ran into some trouble with replicating whatever needed to be copied for the bc support, so I gave up, and going back now to fix that feels too much of a hassle.)

I already watched that. And that itch is alive & more annoying than ever, sorry to say.

(also, you can't link the entire web without this)

On 11/3/2018 at 3:15 AM, Stefan Payne said:

How about those SATA to USB things? You just format a standard USB stick on the 360, dump the contents to the SSD, reassemble it & boot up?

3 hours ago, Sonen10 said:

How about those SATA to USB things? You just format a standard USB stick on the 360, dump the contents to the SSD, reassemble it & boot up?

360 only has USB 2.0, so no, not viable and bullshit.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"