Help with the Onkyo TX-SR606

SeeFights
Go to solution Solved by johnt,

Your question is loaded, and the answer is no and yes.

1) Can you have two different input sources playing to the same set of speakers outputs? No. This is a very rare feature on home receivers, if it even exists. Some inputs have multiple types of connectors, like HDMI and RCA, but you will need to go into the options and choose whether the receiver should use HDMI or RCA - it won't use both.

2) Can you have two different input sources playing to two different sets of speaker outputs? Yes. Your particular receiver has outputs for Zone 2, so you can decide what to set from the main outputs, and then the remote should have a Zone 2 button that will let you select the second source separately. Of course, this will require a second set of speakers. I do not recommend wiring the main speaker terminals and Zone 2 terminals to the same speakers.

So this is an odly specific question and because I'm not big on this I need help with some trouble shooting.

I am a University Student so buying a new amp/receiver isnt an option on this one.

My question is can this receiver be set up to have two inputs coming out at the same time?

Let me break this down with my current set-up, we currently have a PS4, Nintendo Switch and an Xbox One all set up to go through the receiver and come out the receiver into the TV, we then have an AUX cord running from a phone into the receiver using the AUX ports on the front of the receiver. I want to be able to play music on my phone and be able to play on one of the consoles at the same time, is there a way to set this up? I have googled and cant seem to find an answer and I've came to the last place where all my tec answers get answered. If anyone has an idea as to how to do what I want to do please respond

27 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

If you figure out an answer let me know! I want to be able to have PC sounds as well as a vinyl on my record player at the same time. I have an Onkyo receiver as well. 

I tried placing the aux cord through the coponents ports at the back corresponding to the HDMI that is selected but there is no luck :( I will keep trying things and coming back and telling you what ive tried until i solve it

1) Can you have two different input sources playing to the same set of speakers outputs? No. This is a very rare feature on home receivers, if it even exists. Some inputs have multiple types of connectors, like HDMI and RCA, but you will need to go into the options and choose whether the receiver should use HDMI or RCA - it won't use both.

2) Can you have two different input sources playing to two different sets of speaker outputs? Yes. Your particular receiver has outputs for Zone 2, so you can decide what to set from the main outputs, and then the remote should have a Zone 2 button that will let you select the second source separately. Of course, this will require a second set of speakers. I do not recommend wiring the main speaker terminals and Zone 2 terminals to the same speakers.

John is right. You need a 2nd set of speakers, and use zone 2 and run your source through that. Do NOT run both sources to one set of speakers. Bad things.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:50 PM, JohnT said:

Thank you for the in depth but yet simple reply, I thank you kind sir. We have spare speakers so setting up a zone 2 wont be hard however my uncle noticed we where lacking and is giving me his old one...I do not know what make or model it is all i know is my uncle is an auido phanatic so itll be better then what we have now, Ill check when i receive this new system how to set up a zone 2 and do so but thank you for your answer none the less as its helped with feature indevors.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:11 PM, Alexsolo said:

If you figure out an answer let me know! I want to be able to have PC sounds as well as a vinyl on my record player at the same time. I have an Onkyo receiver as well. 

My mans we figured it out 

6 hours ago, SeeFights said:

Thank you for the in depth but yet simple reply, I thank you kind sir. We have spare speakers so setting up a zone 2 wont be hard however my uncle noticed we where lacking and is giving me his old one...I do not know what make or model it is all i know is my uncle is an auido phanatic so itll be better then what we have now, Ill check when i receive this new system how to set up a zone 2 and do so but thank you for your answer none the less as its helped with feature indevors.

You're welcome!