Is this a Virus?

Knightdroid250

Hi i just installed a software called Cheat engine and I did not use this for cheating I just needed this to fix a slow motion type of problem in games not online and when i installed this software it comes with avast anti virus installed and i deleted it but not sure if i deleted all of it. and also search in the file explorer that i have a files that have avast in its name in the windows folder.i download the software in this link. <Content Removed>    pls help.Thanks

Capture.PNG

Edited by SansVarnic
Link Removed

You can't just delete the files of the program, you need to uninstall it.

Something you probably can't do now that you've manually deleted half of it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can't just delete the files of the program, you need to uninstall it.

Something you probably can't do now that you've manually deleted half of it.

I uninstalled it in the control panel but just wanted to make sure that all files are deleted so i searched in the file explorer.

If you did download it from cheatengine.org then it should be clean. The scan is just picking up parts of cheat engine that look like a malicious program... which is normal because of what it does reading memory, modifying memory, injection, etc. So it is a false positive.

Now you might have other stuff on your machine that is malicious and needs to be cleaned, but cheat engine isn't one of them.

5 minutes ago, Knightdroid250 said:

if youve got nothing to say that could help pls refrain from posting here.Thanks.

I'd like you to know discussing any illegal activities (cheating is such an activity) is not allowed on this forum. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'd like you to know discussing any illegal activities (cheating is such an activity) is not allowed on this forum. 

I see sorry about that but I wasnt cheating.It's the truth I swear I was just using this because theres a problem in dark souls remastered where you get slowmotion in low frame rate so i use this to use speed hack which speeds the game so that the game would run at normal speed though I dont know if this process is consider cheating.But just say if i need to delete this post and i will immediately delete it. 

7 minutes ago, Knightdroid250 said:

I uninstalled it in the control panel but just wanted to make sure that all files are deleted so i searched in the file explorer.

You need to restart you PC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you did download it from cheatengine.org then it should be clean. The scan is just picking up parts of cheat engine that look like a malicious program... which is normal because of what it does reading memory, modifying memory, injection, etc. So it is a false positive.

Now you might have other stuff on your machine that is malicious and needs to be cleaned, but cheat engine isn't one of them.

I see thats reassuring ahahaha.Thanks. :)

1 minute ago, Knightdroid250 said:

I already did that. :)

That's odd. O.o Check if it is still in the program list in the control panel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

That's odd. O.o Check if it is still in the program list in the control panel

It's not there anymore.

13 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I think you should look over the standards again. I think you are misreading a rule. There is nothing in there about cheating. Also cheating isn't illegal. If you are referring to hacking or cracking then that is different and refers to pirating of games... which is not what cheatengine does.

Cheatengine allows you to for example modify your memory to change a value to a permanent value to give you say unlimited ammo in a game. It also doesn't exactly work in most multiplayer games, because those values are maintained by the server and thus your changes have no effect. So this really is only relevant to single player games.

So cheating is not "illegal" it might be against the TOS, but that does not make that activity illegal, just means you are breaching your agreement with the software company who can kick you from the game or decide to sue you for losses if needed.

A little more information this has also been ruled on previously in Lewis Galoob Toys VS Nintendo. If anyone remembers game genie it was a cartridge that plugged into your nintendo that allowed you to enter codes and cheat. It did so by modifying the memory, just like cheat engine. The judge rules that it did NOT infringe on copyright and was no different than say using the fast forward feature on your VCR to skip the credits. So just another example of cheating not being illegal.

I frankly don't even know where to begin with this thread lmao ?

It's not a virus, it's an antivirus and you can't just delete it lol

13 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Cheating is illegal? Where?

-= Topic Locked =-

Unfortunately linking and or discussing software that is designed for illegal activity is not allowed.

Since your real issue is not related the material you posted I suggest you create a thread that does not involve the cheating software.

That Said; Avast is an Anti-Virus software which is used to detect and remove Virus' from your system. Essentially through your effort to remove this program you have removed the option to properly uninstall it and you wont be able to remove it entirely but you can get at least 80-90% if your careful enough. To address the control panel "deletion" you cannot really delete it but you can damage/corrupt it which is a possibility. I suggest you A. (assuming your using Win10) do a windows recovery which will resolve the control panel issue B. run the Avast removal tool LINK  and see  if this will help remove any files that are lingering. C. stop using cheat software.. never ends well.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER