Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does AT&T block Windows Folder Shares?!?!

iKingRPG

Ok so I just had to get at&t in my new house because it was the only option, but we currently have 12 megabits a second (sad), but anyway that isn't the point. The router the ISP provided us with I think is why I can't connect to my windows folders that are shared. Normally I would go to this PC and map network drive and type: \\DESKTOP-******\Server (server is the folder name.) But now it doesn't connect. I also can't connect to remote desktop. It is connected to the internet, if I go in browser on other PC I can type it in and it just shows windows ISS. (internet information services) 

Hope someone can help idk it blocks ports or something there customer support didn't help at all. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

Ok so I just had to get at&t in my new house because it was the only option, but we currently have 12 megabits a second (sad), but anyway that isn't the point. The router the ISP provided us with I think is why I can't connect to my windows folders that are shared. Normally I would go to this PC and map network drive and type: \\DESKTOP-******\Server (server is the folder name.) But now it doesn't connect. I also can't connect to remote desktop. It is connected to the internet, if I go in browser on other PC I can type it in and it just shows windows ISS. (internet information services) 

Hope someone can help idk it blocks ports or something there customer support didn't help at all. Thanks!

they didn't help becouse they aren't allowed to help you with something that's not in a certain part. or they just can't. do you have any other old routers laying around?

and I feel your pain. have had 12 mb at my old house too. now i have 500.

The router may be configured as a bridge instead of a router, which would mean all your PCs are directly connected to Internet and that would be why shares aren't working. Also, it's a terribad thing to be connected directly to the Internet, unless you know what you're doing. You have to check the IP-addresses of your PCs to see if they're typical internal LAN-addresses or Internet-facing addresses.

For LAN-addresses, the IP would be akin to 10.x.x.x, or 172.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Did you check if SMB is active in Windows features? Also like WereCatf said.. Check your IP.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:35 AM, iKingRPG said:

Is any of these machines using wireless? If so, there is an option in most routers that allow you to isolate WiFi devices and they wont be able to connect to network shares. 

@WereCatf I highly doubt its an issue with bridge mode. Firstly AT&T doesn't have the IP addresses to do this. HELL I heard that on parts of their network they are using carrier grade NAT. Most ISP's have a limit to 1 IP address per customer, unless you pay extra or are a business customer. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I assume this is all from the LAN side?  No router should block the LAN side (at least wired) as LAN traffic doesn't touch the router, it stays within the hardware switch that the router is electrically connected to.

Now if its wireless some DO block cross-device traffic, but if that was the case you wouldn't even get ISS.

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)