The Alienware Steam Machine

TheRuke

wow before trashing the thing for its looks you should consider how it performs alienware machines usually are pretty good despite the price slapped on them

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

We never owned them because they're overpriced to shit.

They really aren't. At least the laptops aren't. Two years ago I paid ~$200 more for my Alienware than the exact same specced out Sager. So I paid the $200 more for the aesthetics of the machine, build quality (From the Sagers I've seen in person, my laptop is built much better. Two screws and the entire bottom comes off and everything is easy to remove), and the next day tech support (Anything breaks and I just have to give Dell a call and a tech is at my house the next day). 

Desktops will be overpriced, but so are all prebuilts. 

all prebuilt desktops are overpriced. alienware's laptops are the best value for the money. my second gen m17x is five years old. the gpu on my laptop is 2 years old and the cpu is 3 years old. what other laptop can you upgrade the cpu, gpu, and monitor years after you receive the machine? price is justifiable by its forward thinking adaptability to modern components. of course not every component is gonna work. no one has gotten a 780m to work on a r2 yet. however, a dual 7970m on crossfire has been tested and is working.

If the price is under $500 and it has at least a mobile i5 and a 760m (assuming it is built with mobile parts, which it probably is at that size) it might make a decent steam machine, considering its size. Anything weaker and even if its size is taken into account, I don't see why anyone would think to buy this over iBUYPOWER's steam machine.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

If the price is under $500 and it has at least a mobile i5 and a 760m (assuming it is built with mobile parts, which it probably is at that size) it might make a decent steam machine, considering its size. Anything weaker and even if its size is taken into account, I don't see why anyone would think to buy this over iBUYPOWER's steam machine.

Speaking of IBUYPOWER, I just saw on an engadget article that their $500 Steam Machine has been unveiled with an R7 250 1GB GDDR5 (hoping to change it for an R7 260X once they ship) and only 4GB of RAM! WTH!? They said it would be an R9 270, don't remember if they said 8GB RAM but 4GB is not enough. Now CyberPowerPC's $500 model looks to be the best with 8GB RAM, an R9 270 and a dual core A6.

This might not be appealing to us but I think this is good for the PC gaming market in general and might get more dudebros onto the path to joining the master race eventually.  It's like a PC master race green card so to speak...maybe not green card...a visa.

ugh... dont make the steamboxes. GIVE US PARTS TO BUILD EM' SO WE CAN ACTUALLY TEACH PEOPLE SOMETHING!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Oh for fucks sake, alienware no longer deserves the bad rep they get, they are by no means badly priced and you guys act as if they are worse then consoles.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

ugh... dont make the steamboxes. GIVE US PARTS TO BUILD EM' SO WE CAN ACTUALLY TEACH PEOPLE SOMETHING!

You can make them, steam has given the linux based os they are using, these steam boxes are just standard pre made systems with the steam os on them nothing more nothing less.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Alienware arent overpriced anymore as they are now private due to dell. Of course its cheaper to make your own system but for getting a pre made system alienware isnt all that bad and their rma system beats everything.What a lot of idiots here dont understand is that you have to pay for a service, if you do the service yourself then you save money but then there is the hassle doing something, eg I could say Ikea rip you off if i could make my own desk, if i cant then all of a sudden their prices are reasonable.

Listen if you care.

Looks like you won't be able to upgrade the GPU very easily.

There isn't a price yet.

Yes there is. 2x

x is the price of every other steam equivalent steam machine

Praise Duarte!

When are the Budget Steam machines going to hit. If Steam machine has any chance at competing with the consoles they need to have competitive pricing. If they give the steam machines BS price tags it will further reinforce the "PC gaming is for rich people" stereotype.

They said there were going to be different boxes available at different price points and performance specs and at least one will be comparable to the new consoles in price and performance.

That being said, it's gonna have a low end consumer-grade, low profile GPU. The steam machine that compares to console likely will be able to support a 1080p monitor but it won't run games at max settings or anything.

Figured I'd edit that. There's no guarantee it's gonna have the most recent really bad GPU in there. The weird bit is that they said NVidia. I expected one of AMD's new R7/R9 260's.

I think this looks awesome I think majority of people have programmed in there brain it's ugly because it's from Alienware where's if it was made by IBP or some other company people wouldn't be so harsh.

just looks like a box with lights on it 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Yes there is. 2x

x is the price of every other steam equivalent steam machine

From what I heard in the video, they said it would the price of Xbox one or PS4. We will have to wait and see what the real price is.

Quote me to get a reply!

It looks fine, what the hell is everyone going on about? Try not to choke on your angry bias towards Alienware, you're frothing at the mouth.

268545-ooh.jpg

That is perfectly marketable, stop being silly.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Remember, guys! This is made to appeal to the console kiddies! It's a well-documented fact that their simple minds are easily entranced by shiny lights!!!

But yeah, on a more serious note, I think some of the other Steam boxes look a little bit better aesthetically. But hey, that's the nice thing about these machines (an attempt to dispel misconceptions about the PC and gaming). There's variety and several to choose from.

It looks fine, what the hell is everyone going on about? Try not to choke on your angry bias towards Alienware, you're frothing at the mouth.

That is perfectly marketable, stop being silly.

The fact that it is made by Alienware means it will probably be overpriced. I don't really mind the box itself.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

The fact that it is made by Alienware means it will probably be overpriced. I don't really mind the box itself.

It will be priced in line with other pre-mades, obviously. This should surprise no one. Building your own is always cheaper because you don't need to pay for a global distribution net and bunch of staff while selling relatively few units. I always thought the term overpriced is misused constatly, it's not overpriced, it's more expensive for a reason. Wether it appeals to you is an entirely different point.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

When are the Budget Steam machines going to hit. If Steam machine has any chance at competing with the consoles they need to have competitive pricing. If they give the steam machines BS price tags it will further reinforce the "PC gaming is for rich people" stereotype.

I believe there is one by Scan I think that is as powerful if not more than the next gen console but is around the same price maybe a little more than the XBone. I can't wait to see what Steam machines we get. I won't buy one personally unless you can buy the Digital Storm one's case, because that case looks really nice.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It will be priced in line with other pre-mades, obviously. This should surprise no one. Building your own is always cheaper because you don't need to pay for a global distribution net and bunch of staff while selling relatively few units. I always thought the term overpriced is misused constatly, it's not overpriced, it's more expensive for a reason. Wether it appeals to you is an entirely different point.

There are steamboxes that have dual Titans... and others that go for $6000

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Is it just me or does that controller look cheap?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.