The Alienware Steam Machine

TheRuke

eeeeww! 
I prefer a APU based BRIX. The currently have a A8 one, in a couple of months we shall see the new generation A10 in there.

There are steamboxes that have dual Titans... and others that go for $6000

You can also pay to get your car customised with an equally overkill setup, that is also expensive. And not because the parts are expensive. You're paying for professional staff, quality guarantees, customer service, distribution etc. ect. ect. It would be literally impossible to have a functioning, healthy business that ships custom PCs like that worldwide and make it cost nearly the same as if you picked the parts off a shelf and put them into your own case. Be realistic.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Speaking of IBUYPOWER, I just saw on an engadget article that their $500 Steam Machine has been unveiled with an R7 250 1GB GDDR5 (hoping to change it for an R7 260X once they ship) and only 4GB of RAM! WTH!? They said it would be an R9 270, don't remember if they said 8GB RAM but 4GB is not enough. Now CyberPowerPC's $500 model looks to be the best with 8GB RAM, an R9 270 and a dual core A6.

I didn't know iBUYPOWER changed their machine's specs to that seing as that with those parts, that model is terrible both in erformance and value. What were they thinking? I guess maybe they were hoping that mantle would possily come to linux and improve the performance, but still its a terrible "gaming" pc. Also, if this is the article you`re reffering to, it looks like they also stuffed a pi in there for no reason at all...

On the other hand CyberPowerPC's machine. does actually look pretty good for the price.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

Is it just me or does that controller look cheap?

I`m assuming the controller looks cheap because its a prototype, and because of this, is likely made as cheaply as possible in order to get a working model out quickly to testers.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

You can also pay to get your car customised with an equally overkill setup, that is also expensive. And not because the parts are expensive. You're paying for professional staff, quality guarantees, customer service, distribution etc. ect. ect. It would be literally impossible to have a functioning, healthy business that ships custom PCs like that worldwide and make it cost nearly the same as if you picked the parts off a shelf and put them into your own case. Be realistic.

You think Companies pay the consumer price LOL. They probably pay 2/3 as much as you especially if you factor in bulk purchases. So far, the ibuypower Steam machine looks like the best out of all of them. Nice design, good parts, and great price.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

My god that controller is ugly

Well it's quite an original controller made by Valve, can't wait to try how it feels actually.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Looks like ass!

Not in my opinion, I like the look of alienware things. Though it's fucking overpriced for the performance it gives & i'd never buy it. But this is personal opinion of course, and to each his own. :)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not in my opinion, I like the look of alienware things. Though it's fucking overpriced for the performance it gives & i'd never buy it. But this is personal opinion of course, and to each his own. :)

how do you know its overpriced for the performance? have you tried it?

This looks exactly as big as an m-ITX board around. Which means it will have an external power brick and no discrete graphics card (and even if you wanted one, the power brick won't give you enough power)

I don't buy the 'it could have laptop parts' guess that some people made as even a laptop GPU would have to stack vertically on top of the board in this case, leaving no room for any real storage except maybe a crappy mSATA card.

So I guess this is the bare minimum Steam box, which will put it at maybe $350.

What worries me is that it's announced before FM2+ processors come out, which means it either has a shitty Intel iGPU or is running previous generation APU from AMD, both bad choices. Should be cheap though, like I said.

Hope it has decent storage. If it has more than 2TB and an SSD as well, I might get one for my sister.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You can make them, steam has given the linux based os they are using, these steam boxes are just standard pre made systems with the steam os on them nothing more nothing less.

what I am saying is. no one makes a case this small for us to do builds in. We need more smaller cases. I know linus showed one the other day I think from silverstone. That still looked too big to me though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

More images here:http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=319392&a=319392&po=1,00.asp

Looks good! lets just see the price now...

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

You think Companies pay the consumer price LOL. They probably pay 2/3 as much as you especially if you factor in bulk purchases. So far, the ibuypower Steam machine looks like the best out of all of them. Nice design, good parts, and great price.

Not true, Linus and Josh Smith (Fractal Design and a former custom system builder) covered this in a WAN show ages ago. It was when they were covered the kids trying to do a "cheap" PC.

http://youtu.be/GJFRucXDxS0?t=32m52s

Not a fan of the case. Hope internals compete with the others

how do you know its overpriced for the performance? have you tried it?

I'm talking about alienware products in general. I said though I like the look of alienware they're overpriced for the performance and I'd never buy it.

Not this specific product in general. I like the look and I'm looking forward to hearing the specs and price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like it. now I'd like to know the specs + price

I'm talking about alienware products in general. I said though I like the look of alienware they're overpriced for the performance and I'd never buy it.

Not this specific product in general. I like the look and I'm looking forward to hearing the specs and price.

have you ever owned an alienware product or are you just quoting everyone who just bash alienware because they cant afford it?

This looks exactly as big as an m-ITX board around. Which means it will have an external power brick and no discrete graphics card (and even if you wanted one, the power brick won't give you enough power)

I don't buy the 'it could have laptop parts' guess that some people made as even a laptop GPU would have to stack vertically on top of the board in this case, leaving no room for any real storage except maybe a crappy mSATA card.

So I guess this is the bare minimum Steam box, which will put it at maybe $350.

What worries me is that it's announced before FM2+ processors come out, which means it either has a shitty Intel iGPU or is running previous generation APU from AMD, both bad choices. Should be cheap though, like I said.

Hope it has decent storage. If it has more than 2TB and an SSD as well, I might get one for my sister.

The reason why people, myself included, are assuming that it would have laptop parts is due to the fact that in the gamespot video, the host states that it comes with an intel gpu and a nvidia gpu. Also, I believe either the 760m or 765m is soldered onto the motherboard of some laptops, and so it could be similar here, where the gpu would be part of the motherboard eliminating the need to stack it vertically on top. Of course I could be entirely wrong and this could have something like an atom and 610gt (which you can buy together on an itx board) but I really hope I'm not, seeing as that would perform terribly.

have you ever owned an alienware product or are you just quoting everyone who just bash alienware because they cant afford it?

No i haven't owned one because I refuse to purchase one, I have had several friends who have, and I have used their products. & No I could afford their crap pcs, but I'd prefer to build my own better one for a cheaper price. So please stop trying to cause an argument for no reason over something that doesn't matter. Especially when you try and make it personal. Like I said before, their products are overpriced. Of course they're not 'Bad'. They're just expensive p2p and there's no reason to ever buy one.

No i haven't owned one because I refuse to purchase one, I have had several friends who have, and I have used their products. & No I could afford their crap pcs, but I'd prefer to build my own better one for a cheaper price. So please stop trying to cause an argument for no reason over something that doesn't matter. Especially when you try and make it personal. Like I said before, their products are overpriced. Of course they're not 'Bad'. They're just expensive p2p and there's no reason to ever buy one.

their pc arent crap they actually are pretty damn well made,  a friend of mine has a  alienware desktop with a first generation core i7 extreme it came with 2 480 and at the time that was pretty powerful, of course it has been upgraded a lot since.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

their pc arent crap they actually are pretty damn well made,  a friend of mine has a  alienware desktop with a first generation core i7 extreme it came with 2 480 and at the time that was pretty powerful, of course it has been upgraded a lot since.

I have nothing further to say on this matter. Please re-read my post till you understand.

I have nothing further to say on this matter. Please re-read my post till you understand.

wasent trying to  argue we all have diffrent opinions (probably could have phrased my words better) I personally will never buy one as I agree with you, I just tend play devils advocate :)

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

wasent trying to  argue we all have diffrent opinions (probably could have phrased my words better) I personally will never buy one as I agree with you, I just tend play devils advocate :)

the day someone shows me a alienware pc that I can't build a cheaper equivalent of with better performance is the day I buy one. Simple as that. I love their style but hate the price.

So, I decided to go on a mission, because you and others complain all the time about this and I figured lets put this to the test. I chose pretty decent options. 16GB 1600mhz RAM, 4930k, Windows 8, Dell U2413, 256GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage, dual 780s, Bluray burner, top keyboard and mouse options, and Liquid Cooling. It comes to a grand total of $4,441.98. Lets not forget the case, motherboard, and power supply comes with this. (don't want to leave anything out.)

So I chose Newegg as my place of choice to shop here.

4930k = $579.99

Asus X79 Deluxe = $349.99

Samsung 840 Evo = $161.99

GTX 780 = $699.99 x 2 = $1399.98

WD 1TB Black = $88.99

Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600Mhz = $154.99

Dell U2413 = $511.99

Roccat Kone XTD = $79.99

Roccat Ryos MK Pro = $159.99

Corsair AX1200i = $329.99

Corsair H100i = $99.99

Corsair C70 = $139.99

Windows 8.1 Full Version (32 and 64 bit) = $119.99

Asus Bluray Burner = $76.99

Total built by yourself = $4,254.85 without shipping costs

Total built by Alienware = $4,441.98 without shipping costs

Point made, I believe, shall we say.

So, I decided to go on a mission, because you and others complain all the time about this and I figured lets put this to the test. I chose pretty decent options. 16GB 1600mhz RAM, 4930k, Windows 8, Dell U2413, 256GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage, dual 780s, Bluray burner, top keyboard and mouse options, and Liquid Cooling. It comes to a grand total of $4,441.98. Lets not forget the case, motherboard, and power supply comes with this. (don't want to leave anything out.)

So I chose Newegg as my place of choice to shop here.

4930k = $579.99

Asus X79 Deluxe = $349.99

Samsung 840 Evo = $161.99

GTX 780 = $699.99 x 2 = $1399.98

WD 1TB Black = $88.99

Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600Mhz = $154.99

Dell U2413 = $511.99

Roccat Kone XTD = $79.99

Roccat Ryos MK Pro = $159.99

Corsair AX1200i = $329.99

Corsair H100i = $99.99

Corsair C70 = $139.99

Windows 8.1 Full Version (32 and 64 bit) = $119.99

Asus Bluray Burner = $76.99

Total built by yourself = $4,254.85 without shipping costs

Total built by Alienware = $4,441.98 without shipping costs

Point made, I believe, shall we say.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($234.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($491.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($491.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor:  Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor  ($154.99 @ Microcenter) 
Mouse:  Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse  ($79.50 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2663.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-08 11:42 EST-0500)

It looks good but... the price is prob over priced because Alienware is special somehow...