Best way to backup games?

hug0mac

Hello

I would like to know the best way to backup physical games that I got stored in my bookshelf, I done it some years ago but since then I got some new ones. They are for PC...

Is there any preferred way to do it? I don't mind paying for software if it will work better. I surely do hope this does not class as piracy?! I'm just trying to archive my games onto my HDD.

Cheers ?

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

1. Insert your DVD or CD.

2. Display all files (including hidden ones).

3. Create folder on your hard drive with game name.

4. Copy everything from DVD/CD to that folder.

:)

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

1. Insert your DVD or CD.

2. Display all files (including hidden ones).

3. Create folder on your hard drive with game name.

4. Copy everything from DVD/CD to that folder.

:)

It can't be THAT easy... can it? ? What about an ISO file? Will the game still run by just copy and paste?

Cheers.

If you've got them on CD and you want them to still function if you want to use them on a later date (copy protection is one of those things...) rip them to an ISO format using software like imgburn. 

Use the disc to image function.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

If you've got them on CD and you want them to still function if you want to use them on a later date (copy protection is one of those things...) rip them to an ISO format using software like imgburn. 

Use the disc to image function.

Hi

I tried this but I got errors using it. Something with SecuROM or SafeDISC. Will imgburn copy all of my physical games to ISO etc?

12 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

Hi

I tried this but I got errors using it. Something with SecuROM or SafeDISC. Will imgburn copy all of my physical games to ISO etc?

I've had some luck with it, but not with all copy protections. You could also try CDBurnerXP. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

27 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

It can't be THAT easy... can it? ? What about an ISO file? Will the game still run by just copy and paste?

Cheers.

I'm only talking about games without some crazy protection that needs disk to work.

New games - sure, you can copy DVD to your HDD and install from HDD without even CD/DVD connected. Like GTA5 for example - friend bought it and first copied all disk to HDD then install from HDD without any CD. But maybe some old games might have some special CD protection that needs to have game inserted into DVD reader.

And about "will the game still run by just copy and paste" - if you mean installer, then yes, why not? If you mean installed game... then, surprise, yes, in 95% cases copy whole game directory is enough to play it on another computer (I'm not talking about Steam or other game systems but standalone installations). In almost rest of cases (4%) export one registry key, modify and import on another computer is enough.

1 hour ago, r4tch3t said:

Haven't used it for years but alcohol120% could rip and burn protected discs when i last used it. 

That's true. Alcohol120% burn apss those protection most of the time. And for the rare case that Alcohol120% didn't work i was using Fireburner.

49 minutes ago, Franck said:

That's true. Alcohol120% burn apss those protection most of the time. And for the rare case that Alcohol120% didn't work i was using Fireburner.

Alcohol 120 is still safe? Their site is marked as unsafe by Firefox? So in practice, there is no better way to copy protected early 2000's games to a ISO file to archive?

?

1 hour ago, hug0mac said:

Alcohol 120 is still safe? Their site is marked as unsafe by Firefox? So in practice, there is no better way to copy protected early 2000's games to a ISO file to archive?

?

haven't used a physical media in 6-7 years. Anyhow it's cheaper to buy a 2 tb hdd and copy or clone another drive than buying tons of dvd. A good dvd is around 1$ CAD per dvd for let's be generous and say it's 1gb per dvd. so 2 tb is 2000$ CAD of dvd while a 2 tb is around 80$ CAD