Changing games graphics setting s make no difference?

Khader87

Hi, 

I have the below rig. 

i7 4790 @3.8ghz on all cores

RX 580 @1470mhz

16GB DDR3 1600mhz

LG Ultrawide 2560x1080 @80hz

Im playing shadow of the tomb raider, assassin's creed odyssey which runs badly, Total War Warhammer 2, BO4... 

Anyways, in games that my pc cant run on 80FPS, like SOTTR, total war, odyssey i dont get any or very minimal FPS increase whatever i change in settings, shadows, AA, texture... Etc. Average FPS remains almost the same, i get get steady 60FPS on SOTTR even if i but all on low. 

All drivers are updated, normal temps

Look at your usage, this sounds really close to my problems with Assassin's creed Origins. CPU usage at 100% GPU at 50-60% I am playing on 1080p too.
Playing on lower resolution doesn't push the GPU so hard thus you get the need of more powerful CPU.

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Is v-sync on?

Nop, as i cant reach monitors refresh rate

7 minutes ago, voiha said:

Look at your usage, this sounds really close to my problems with Assassin's creed Origins. CPU usage at 100% GPU at 50-60% I am playing on 1080p too.
Playing on lower resolution doesn't push the GPU so hard thus you get the need of more powerful CPU.

The problem is i have 100%usage on gpu on all games and average of 50% usage on cpu on all games. 

All of these games are both CPU and GPU demanding. 

It may very well be that at higher settings you're limited by your GPU and the CPU is almost fully utilized so when you lower the settings and the GPU load goes down, the CPU has to work extra, but it already almost did so on higher settings so you won't really see the difference in FPS as both your GPU and CPU hit their limits at around the same FPS mark. 

Whether that's really the case I can't say without proper testing but it is very plausible given the specs and the particular games mentioned. 

Just now, Khader87 said:

Nop, as i cant reach monitors refresh rate

I was just wondering because you did say your FPS seemed to be capped at 60. Also, it is an ultrawide, and it's still just an RX 580. With the level of detail in games nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bottleneck somewhere.

Just now, Khader87 said:

The problem is i have 100%usage on gpu on all games and average of 50% usage on cpu on all games. 

Then your graphics card is bottlenecking your CPU.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

See if you're upscaling the resolution in the game settings? It takes a massive impact. Check also the Drawing Distance?  
Adaptive antialising is also heavy on the hardware from what i noticed. 
The gpu performs with no issues in other games? 

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

100% GPU usage is normal, i Mean Gpu's are supposed to run at around 98% so its good.

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

3 minutes ago, Khader87 said:

Then the GPU is just not sufficient enough to push all of those frames that you want.

44 minutes ago, Enochian said:

100% GPU usage is normal, i Mean Gpu's are supposed to run at around 98% so its good.

100% GPU usage is normal when paired with 100% CPU usage. It means you don't have a bottleneck'd GPU or CPU. In OPs case they're getting 50% CPU usage and 100% GPU usage meaning the GPU is bottlenecking their CPU.

There is no such thing as "GPU is bottlenecking the CPU"

To put it in a very simplified fashion, a game has some amount of work for the CPU to do. The GPU cannot in any way, shape or form, hinder the CPU from ever completing that work. The GPU however, can be hindered in doing its job if the CPU is too busy because the CPU has to send it render commands.