A look back at Macrumors release thread of the very first iPod

NickTheMajin

I like this one:

"Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!"

Here's the original product page. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20011026014834/apple.com/ipod

of note 

image.png.00986fe4610ec5b120ab8abc9951e853.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Wow, they wanted $400 ($568.24) for the first iPod. I didn't know that it was that expensive when it came out. 

yah the real revolution was the ease of use- itunes a couple of years later mostly. 
It was really a good mp3 player for people who have money and just want music in their pocket. I mostly don't remember them being super popular until the 2003 and 2004 models, the ones with the first click wheel I remember mostly. I personally held out and used mp3 players until the nano 5 gen which I loved but hated itunes with all of my heart. 

My favorite comment 

I really wanted to like it. Really. But do the math:

20GB hard drive: $199 from APS tech.

MP3 player: $50 from Best Buy.

You save $150 plus get an extra 15 Gig of storage!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For me, what made the iPod great was how universally adopted it was. I used an old iPod plugged into the headunit of my car for years before finally switching to Bluetooth.

13 minutes ago, FunkmastaFlex said:

One of the top comments on the announcement page was called "You're all a bunch of looney bitches"

To quote that one:

You're all a bunch of loony bitches

We live in the YEAR 2001... not 6000 years from now when ridiculously awsome technology will exist. No other mp3 player has a harddrive like this... 5gigs... **** yeah. A rio of the same size offers 64megs. Jesum Crow, get over your moping.. .this is revolutionary.... plus it's just the beggining. This device litterally bests anything on the market by about 100x

it's time

10 minutes ago, RollTime said:

To quote that one:

that's mostly due to the fact that almost all of them were flash based memory, and apple was like, nah you NEED more storage. Hard drive in your pocket it is. Even 10 years after that were were still buying devices with only 8-16 GB of built in storage.

Years later I had always wanted an iPod classic that had like 30GB+ of stoarge, but I tended to put my devices in hard cases and subjected them to a lot of abuse, so I knew it wouldn't survive drops. When even later I got a nona gen 5, I abused the fuck out of that thing in a hard case and it live through all of it since it had flash memory

muh specs 

All parts black