400W power supply

damian61
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Nah, you'll be fine.  the Hexa+ is not a great model, but it can supply the advertised values, it can do up to 385 watts on 12v.

Your GTX 1050 will use up to 75-85w on 12v, maybe a tiny bit more depending on the factory overclocking.

You'll have around 10w on 12v between the mechanical hard drive and the two fans.

You'll have maybe around 10-15w on 12v consumed by motherboard (dc-dc converter to power ram, other things)

So you're left with around 250w of power available for the processor.

the 1xxx series is not that power hungry - if you overclock an eight core Ryzen 1700x and set the voltage to max recommended of 1.42v , the cpu will use around 140w ... with the vrm efficiency (the dc-dc converter that converts 12v to 1.42v) to account, let's say 160 watts MAX.

You have a Ryzen 5 1400 which is basically half of a Ryzen 1700x and runs at lower frequencies by default , so without overclocking it's unlikely it will use more than around 60w. With overclocking, you're not going to go over 80w.

Basically, overclocking your cpu will only add around 20-25w to your current power consumption, which is around half of what your psu can provide. Your psu is decent enough that it can handle providing half of its rated power just fine, without you having to worry about it.

I have a FSP HEXA+ 400W psu, and my current build:

Ryzen R5 1400 

GTX 1050 AERO ITX OC 

1x8 GB DDR4

1tb HDD and 120gb M2 ssd

+2 120mm Fan

If I want to oc my Ryzen 5, will this PSU enough to handle it? 

That's a tier 7 PSU. Please throw it away and buy a proper PSU. The lowest I'd go would be a CX450 or a G450M.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Nah, you'll be fine.  the Hexa+ is not a great model, but it can supply the advertised values, it can do up to 385 watts on 12v.

Your GTX 1050 will use up to 75-85w on 12v, maybe a tiny bit more depending on the factory overclocking.

You'll have around 10w on 12v between the mechanical hard drive and the two fans.

You'll have maybe around 10-15w on 12v consumed by motherboard (dc-dc converter to power ram, other things)

So you're left with around 250w of power available for the processor.

the 1xxx series is not that power hungry - if you overclock an eight core Ryzen 1700x and set the voltage to max recommended of 1.42v , the cpu will use around 140w ... with the vrm efficiency (the dc-dc converter that converts 12v to 1.42v) to account, let's say 160 watts MAX.

You have a Ryzen 5 1400 which is basically half of a Ryzen 1700x and runs at lower frequencies by default , so without overclocking it's unlikely it will use more than around 60w. With overclocking, you're not going to go over 80w.

Basically, overclocking your cpu will only add around 20-25w to your current power consumption, which is around half of what your psu can provide. Your psu is decent enough that it can handle providing half of its rated power just fine, without you having to worry about it.

Its not great but better than a Seasonic S12II it definately is.

So the system should work, though I'd not recommend anyone buying this PSU but since you already have it and are on a lower power system, it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

With a new, high power GPU however I'd think about getting a better quality PSU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

That's a tier 7 PSU. Please throw it away and buy a proper PSU. The lowest I'd go would be a CX450 or a G450M.

It's a bit funny, because when I bought this PSU back in march. The guys at the local store highly recommended FSP and they suggested me to buy this in my budget range :D

Now it feels a strange to know I have a tier7 psu... 

FSP Hexa is not Hexa+. Hexa is Tier 7 in the tier list thread (why? I have no idea). Your Hexa+ is not in there at all.

It's fine for your setup like @mariushm and Stefan said above.

1 hour ago, damian61 said:

It's a bit funny, because when I bought this PSU back in march. The guys at the local store highly recommended FSP

He is not wrong, though you can't really go by brand, though it could be worse - for example he could have talked you into a Seasonic S12II variant. Wich is clearly worse.

I've found a Review of the Hexa+ wich seems quite good for a group regulated unit. Sadly they didn't use a decent protection IC...

https://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/fsp-hexa-plus-500-watt-im-test/5/#diagramm-spannungsregulation-plus-12-volt

Its not such garbage like the S12II would have been with almost 13V on 12V:
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_spannungsregulation

(XFX XT zweite Revision is the Seasonic one).

And its also a bit quieter, though not much. 

and they suggested me to buy this in my budget range :D

Wich one is it exactly??

Hexa? Hexa+? Hexa85+??

That makes a big difference!

And your budget range is the sub 40€ range here in Germany. 

Right now the Hexa+ with 400W is listed for just 36€. 

Well, its a very low price for a PSU, you have to sacrifice much for that...

Now it feels a strange to know I have a tier7 psu... 

Well, the list is kinda subjective. ANd the PSU you have seems to be a bit better in the voltage regulation department than a Seasonic S12II-430 would have been so its fine for your setup and I'd trust FSP more than some other manufacturers...

The thing is that you already have that PSU and while its not the best, you could also have done far worse for the same (or more) money...

Do I think that the Hydro should be in "Tier 7"? Well, no, not really. 

So if you replace it, do it with a really good one like the Hydro G (NOT GE!!), Hydro X or something in the better gold area, depending on the manufacturer.

Everything else doesn't really make sense...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

He is not wrong, though you can't really go by brand, though it could be worse - for example he could have talked you into a Seasonic S12II variant. Wich is clearly worse.

I've found a Review of the Hexa+ wich seems quite good for a group regulated unit. Sadly they didn't use a decent protection IC...

https://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/fsp-hexa-plus-500-watt-im-test/5/#diagramm-spannungsregulation-plus-12-volt

Its not such garbage like the S12II would have been with almost 13V on 12V:
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_spannungsregulation

(XFX XT zweite Revision is the Seasonic one).

And its also a bit quieter, though not much. 

Wich one is it exactly??

Hexa? Hexa+? Hexa85+??

That makes a big difference!

And your budget range is the sub 40€ range here in Germany. 

Right now the Hexa+ with 400W is listed for just 36€. 

Well, its a very low price for a PSU, you have to sacrifice much for that...

Well, the list is kinda subjective. ANd the PSU you have seems to be a bit better in the voltage regulation department than a Seasonic S12II-430 would have been so its fine for your setup and I'd trust FSP more than some other manufacturers...

The thing is that you already have that PSU and while its not the best, you could also have done far worse for the same (or more) money...

Do I think that the Hydro should be in "Tier 7"? Well, no, not really. 

So if you replace it, do it with a really good one like the Hydro G (NOT GE!!), Hydro X or something in the better gold area, depending on the manufacturer.

Everything else doesn't really make sense...

Back then I bought this PSU for an office PC, first I added with the GTX 1050 and a week ago I replaced the i3 6100T with a ryzen 5.After those changes ,I was thinking about might I need a better psu as well.

Thanks for your help and effort, I will keep my psu until I find a better one on sale.