Hello.

Before all, i want to apologize if topic isn't on the right spot.

So, here is the thing. I just installed Ubuntu Linux on my laptop. When i play some full hd video on youtube, picture isn't well, it freezes for moments.

I think that i don't have good driver for my graphic card. Can you help me with that? I don't know where to look for drivers or how to install it because i am new to linux.
Thank you in advance and sorry for my english.

if i recall correctly, ubuntu has some sort of driver tool for this, but i cant recall what it's called.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

if i recall correctly, ubuntu has some sort of driver tool for this, but i cant recall what it's called.

jockey, at least at one point... they may have renamed it since

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

jockey, at least at one point... they may have renamed it since

Can't find anything similar to that.

When i type ''lspci'', it says that my driver for graphic card is for Radeon HD 7640G and i have that graphic card.
When i open sofrware & updates it says that there is no additional drivers to install. It seems that i already have all drivers that i need but idk what's the problem with video.
I forgot to say, that problem only happens when video is in full screen mode.

Just now, uzivkovic997 said:

Can't find anything similar to that.

When i type ''lspci'', it says that my driver for graphic card is for Radeon HD 7640G and i have that graphic card.
When i open sofrware & updates it says that there is no additional drivers to install. It seems that i already have all drivers that i need but idk what's the problem with video.
I forgot to say, that problem only happens when video is in full screen mode.

What resolution and codec are you watching?  What is your CPU?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1080p or 720p, it doesn't matter. It happens on both resolutions when its full screen mode.
When i open firefox, it says ''OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.7.1''
CPU is AMD A8-4500M 
I can watch videos in those resolutionson windows without problems.

1 minute ago, uzivkovic997 said:

1080p or 720p, it doesn't matter. It happens on both resolutions when its full screen mode.
When i open firefox, it says ''OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.7.1''
CPU is AMD A8-4500M 
I can watch videos in those resolutionson windows without problems.

That last point is interesting... proves it's just a software issue so we should be able to solve it.  What browser were you using on Windows?  And what are you using on Linux?  I assume firefox or chrome for the latter.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That last point is interesting... proves it's just a software issue so we should be able to solve it.  What browser were you using on Windows?  And what are you using on Linux?  I assume firefox or chrome for the latter.

I'm using both firefox and chrome on windows. On linux I am currently using firefox because i installed os 20-30 minutes ago, didn't installed any other software.

2 minutes ago, uzivkovic997 said:

I'm using both firefox and chrome on windows. On linux I am currently using firefox because i installed os 20-30 minutes ago, didn't installed any other software.

Hmmm that's really got me stumped.  It should perform the same then.  I wonder if the compositor is perhaps interfering or taking up GPU or CPU time that's pushing the load over the edge?  You'd have to try a different desktop environment to find out (xfce) since they removed the ability to run gnome/unity without it several years ago.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hmmm that's really got me stumped.  It should perform the same then.  I wonder if the compositor is perhaps interfering or taking up GPU or CPU time that's pushing the load over the edge?  You'd have to try a different desktop environment to find out (xfce) since they removed the ability to run gnome/unity without it several years ago.

How to check that first thing? I didn't understand that.
I tried that and i tried to run other linux systems like mint, kali, backbox... The problem with video is on every linux os.

Just now, uzivkovic997 said:

How to check that first thing? I didn't understand that.
I tried that and i tried to run other linux systems like mint, kali, backbox... The problem with video is on every linux os.

Odds are you would have used a DE without compositing then, so that's probably not it.  Hmmm.... I'm really at a loss here.

50 minutes ago, uzivkovic997 said:

Hello.

Do you have a dedicated card except A8 integrated graphics and if yes is it an AMD or Nvidia card?
What version of Ubuntu did you install?

@uzivkovic997 Which version of Ubuntu are you on? Some older cards don't work very well on 16.04 or 16.10.

Which graphics card driver are you using, since older AMD cards have several options available with different acceleration packages available for them.

This looks like an issue with VDPAU and VAAPI not having the proper driver links since those two things are responsible for video acceleration. You can confirm this with the "vainfo" and "vdpauinfo" commands in a command line. It'll spit out a bunch of junk which you can mostly ignore. If it gives you an error then it's not working, if not then it should be working. The error for vainfo would look something like this:

libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

It's probably just one of the packages you need not being installed by default. Unfortunately you have a card from just before a lot of these issues got fixed with the new unified AMD drivers.

56 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Do you have a dedicated card except A8 integrated graphics and if yes is it an AMD or Nvidia card?
What version of Ubuntu did you install?

No, i have only this integrated graphic card.

Ubuntu version is 18.04 bionic (x86-64).

56 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

@uzivkovic997 Which version of Ubuntu are you on? Some older cards don't work very well on 16.04 or 16.10.

Which graphics card driver are you using, since older AMD cards have several options available with different acceleration packages available for them.

This looks like an issue with VDPAU and VAAPI not having the proper driver links since those two things are responsible for video acceleration. You can confirm this with the "vainfo" and "vdpauinfo" commands in a command line. It'll spit out a bunch of junk which you can mostly ignore. If it gives you an error then it's not working, if not then it should be working. The error for vainfo would look something like this:

It's probably just one of the packages you need not being installed by default. Unfortunately you have a card from just before a lot of these issues got fixed with the new unified AMD drivers.

This is what i get when i list my drivers.

Screenshot from 2018-10-16 11-55-36.png

1 hour ago, uzivkovic997 said:

No, i have only this integrated graphic card.

Ubuntu version is 18.04 bionic (x86-64).

Give a try and download " Radeon™ Software for Linux® 18.20 " from AMD's official page. There is a version for UBUNTU 18.04

I don't know if this still relevant. Open Software Center and go to that tab, other wise you might need some terminal witchcraft. 

uOF4m.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, uzivkovic997 said:

This is what i get when i list my drivers.

Screenshot from 2018-10-16 11-55-36.png

That doesn't show any drivers. It's just a list of your PCIe devices. You need "lspci -v" to see attached drivers.

The driver should either be ATI/Radeon, fglrx, or Catalyst Legacy.

1 hour ago, Settlerteo said:

Give a try and download " Radeon™ Software for Linux® 18.20 " from AMD's official page. There is a version for UBUNTU 18.04

Those drivers are not compatible with his GPU. His GPU Is Southern Islands based and would need an old legacy versiuon of Catalyst if he wants to use proprietary drivers.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I don't know if this still relevant. Open Software Center and go to that tab, other wise you might need some terminal witchcraft. 

uOF4m.png

There is no additional drivers for mz laptop, already tried.

8 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

That doesn't show any drivers. It's just a list of your PCIe devices. You need "lspci -v" to see attached drivers.

The driver should either be ATI/Radeon, fglrx, or Catalyst Legacy.

Those drivers are not compatible with his GPU. His GPU Is Southern Islands based and would need an old legacy versiuon of Catalyst if he wants to use proprietary drivers.

Thats all about graphic card.

So should i install Radeon software for linux like @Settlerteo said or?

Screenshot from 2018-10-16 14-22-38.png

The radeon driver should be fine, but a 7640G is Northern Islands, you need to make sure you have firmware installed (locate -i aruba|grep firmware).

Direct rending is provided by mesa (r600), and vdpau via mesa-vdpau-drivers (I think), there might be a mesa-vaapi or libva-vaapi too, but that's kinda moot for a NI chip.

TBPH I build all my drivers into the kernel along with the firmware, so someone else will have to tell you how to force the right firmware, though there should be something in dmesg about it rejecting the wrong files and accepting the right ones.

16 hours ago, Ralphred said:

TBPH I build all my drivers into the kernel along with the firmware, so someone else will have to tell you how to force the right firmware, though there should be something in dmesg about it rejecting the wrong files and accepting the right ones.

That's why i love Linux, Go Build or Go Home :P :P