upgrade to ryzen, yay or nay?

It's definitely an upgrade, but we need more information. What do you use the computer for, and what is the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so i want to upgrade to something faster than my current system (see signature).

i'm looking at a 2700X, this motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-KRAIT-GAMING.html

and this gpu:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-580-ARMOR-8G-OC

is this a good idea? 

That depends on your budget, use case, expectations, and preference. We need more data.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

9 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That depends on your budget, use case, expectations, and preference. We need more data.

I can afford the parts there, and if i save up a bit more a good cooler too, i need reccomendations there as well.

My use case is mostly Overwatch, but i play Overwatch on Linux using Wine, so there's that. 

I also do a lot of general stuff so web browsing, documents and stuff.

Sometimes for school i need a bunch of virtual machines, so it needs to handle 2 or 3 at a time. 

Missing from the parts list are the following parts i already have and will re-use from my old pc:

16gb Corsair DDR4

2 240gb ssd's

Corsair AX 860 psu

Silverstone Raven RV03

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I can afford the parts there, and if i save up a bit more a good cooler too, i need reccomendations there as well.

My use case is mostly Overwatch, but i play Overwatch on Linux using Wine, so there's that. 

Sometimes for school i need a bunch of virtual machines, so it needs to handle 2 or 3 at a time. 

Missing from the parts list are the following parts i already have and will re-use from my old pc:

16gb Corsair DDR4

2 240gb ssd's

Corsair AX 860 psu

Silverstone Raven RV03

What's your current rig? Because I am pretty sure that the one you aim to replace is not the one listed in your profile.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Don't get MSI Armor, cooler on those cards is crap.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

7 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What's your current rig? Because I am pretty sure that the one you aim to replace is not the one listed in your profile.

It's in his signature.

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860

15 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

16gb Corsair DDR4

2 240gb ssd's

Corsair AX 860 psu

Silverstone Raven RV03

No need for a cooler, the cooler out of the box is good enough.

Intel Cpu seems better for your usage but the pricing of the 2700X is so much lower that it's the best value for the money.

What's the speed of your RAM? 2400, 2666, 3000, ....?

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

4 minutes ago, EG! said:

It's in his signature.

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860

No need for a cooler, the cooler out of the box is good enough.

Intel Cpu seems better for your usage but the pricing of the 2700X is so much lower that it's the best value for the money.

What's the speed of your RAM? 2400, 2666, 3000, ....?

...how did I miss that... O.o 

Honestly I mostly play overwatch and the 2700x has served me well for that. Granted I do get bottlenecked around 240 fps but with better ran and overclocking past 4ghz I could probably fix that. Anyways it's a great cpu.  

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

so i want to upgrade to something faster than my current system (see signature).

i'm looking at a 2700X, this motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-KRAIT-GAMING.html

Well it's at least worth considering as the 2700X is excellent at virtualization, and it has a pretty decent value, now it does lack some in the gaming department but that should not be too much of a problem, as you are coming off of the 7400, but before I went out and bought any of these parts I would wait for the 3rd party reviews of the new chips Intel is about to drop.

don't bother with the GPU as the 780ti is still faster, 

is this a good idea? 

That depends on just how much you need a new CPU, and what your budget is, and what your priorities are, if you care more about games, go Intel if you care more about your Virtualization, go AMD.

30 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Look in my signature. That i5 maxes out at 100% quite often...

22 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Don't get MSI Armor, cooler on those cards is crap.

What card would you recommend? I don't want nvidia.

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Does your 780ti still work? If the answer is yes, then just use that, it is still faster than the RX 580.

Look in my signature. That i5 maxes out at 100% quite often...

go with RX 580 or wait for the RX 600 series which should come out next year.

28 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well it's at least worth considering as the 2700X is excellent at virtualization, and it has a pretty decent value, now it does lack some in the gaming department but that should not be too much of a problem, as you are coming off of the 7400, but before I went out and bought any of these parts I would wait for the 3rd party reviews of the new chips Intel is about to drop.

the current intel chips are WAY too expensive for me so i guess the new one's aren't gonna be much better. 

29 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

don't bother with the GPU as the 780ti is still faster

is it really? it's like 5 years old!

30 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That depends on just how much you need a new CPU, and what your budget is, and what your priorities are, if you care more about games, go Intel if you care more about your Virtualization, go AMD.

the thing is i game using Wine. with my current rig on Windows i can get 60fps constant on high/epic settings on overwatch usually. on Linux using Wine i need to run at medium and even then it stutters. 

21 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Does your 780ti still work? If the answer is yes, then just use that, it is still faster than the RX 580.

HOW

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

HOW

... It just is ...

the current intel chips are WAY too expensive for me so i guess the new one's aren't gonna be much better. 

the thing is i game using Wine. with my current rig on Windows i can get 60fps constant on high/epic settings on overwatch usually. on Linux using Wine i need to run at medium and even then it stutters. 

HOW

Rx 580 performs much better and is a more sensible buy than 10 series or 20 series.

10 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

... It just is ...

9 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

Rx 580 performs much better and is a more sensible buy than 10 series or 20 series.

this is quite conflicting info...

She/Her

15 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

this is quite conflicting info...

how is it conflicting its cheaper and it performs great at 1080 for its price 

6 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

how is it conflicting its cheaper and it performs great at 1080 for its price 

one person is saying to keep my 780Ti and one person is saying get the rx580

She/Her

one person is saying to keep my 780Ti and one person is saying get the rx580

ahh okay my bad. well it depends if you want to go in lean yes keep your 780ti. but when it starts to bottle neck upgrade to either RX 580 or anything that fits your budget in the future.

its all preference.

I opted for a AMD build and i couldnt be happier. I can play all games at 1080 ultra or 1440 high or ultra. Also if you have the airflow get a 580 if not get the 780Ti. 

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

Asus/XFX/Sapphire

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

42 minutes ago, Bravo1cc said:

I opted for a AMD build and i couldnt be happier. I can play all games at 1080 ultra or 1440 high or ultra. Also if you have the airflow get a 580 if not get the 780Ti. 

I already have the 780Ti

She/Her

I already have the 780Ti

I see, anything from that point up won't be bottlenecked unless you are running some silly low settings. 

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro