Describe your audio setup

zrmaxwell
5 hours ago, TheAgnda said:

Front-Audio.jpg
Back-Audio.jpg
My-Current-Audio-Setup.png

Everything is completely interconnected, all inputs / outputs can be shared between the main & capture PC seamlessly without delay. The Inputs on each RME interface (UCX / UC) represent their own input device in Windows (with submixing of any channel into any other) which allows for non-destructive (separate) recording at any desired level. All physical outputs on each RME card make their way to my Mackie ProFX12V2 mixer, and eventually my headphones and speakers, which allows me to mix everything in real-time to desired listening levels without affecting the actual recordings.

Took awhile to setup but once I got it working I've had no issues or qualms with anything, this combination of devices has given me far superior control compared to any other solution I've seen anywhere else with little to no degradation of audio quality.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ *drool*

My only audio requirement is immersive, decent directional sound for team FPS Games (like Squad, Post Scriptum and Escape From Tarkov).

Current set up is:

Fostex T50RP MK3 with Shure 1540 pads (semi open planar magnetic)

Schiit Magni 3 Amp with Modi 2 DAC

It sounds fantastic IMO, but I am looking for the next step up.

I would like to stick with planar magnetic headphones, any advice welcomed!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

On 10/25/2018 at 10:29 AM, Bloodshed Romance said:

under the listen tab in the sound settings theres sliders for the INPUTS of the computer now, WITH NO LAG!

speaker properties1.PNG

Unfortunately for me I'm using a usb mic XD

1 hour ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Unfortunately for me I'm using a usb mic XD

hmm... I use a USB soundcard and it works on it but I don't have a USB mic to try to figure that one out.

dtabxdhdqnt11.thumb.jpg.2dc134fe1ca38efa2414969f4a151ad1.jpg3P7A1281-Edit.thumb.jpg.546f9439038a9700f5f9d72b08d4c917.jpg

PC > RME ADI-2 DAC > iFi Pro iCan > iFi iESL.

20 hours ago, Bloodshed Romance said:

hmm... I use a USB soundcard and it works on it but I don't have a USB mic to try to figure that one out.

The sliders don't even show for me, latest version of windows.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

My setup is quite simple, nothing too special.

My main DAC and amp is the RME ADI 2 DAC, it feeds my Genelec 8040s which are placed on some foam pads, my Cavalli tube hybrid amp, UERM, AKG K612, sennheiser hd 580 precision, Sennheiser HD 25 and Focal Elex.

I mainly use the Cavalli tube hybrid for when I just want take it slow and relax.

So yeah that is my main setup, nothing too fancy, but I enjoy it and it works well for what I do. I do plan on adding to it in the future, but it won't be anytime soon.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'm new to the audio game so I have a decent starting setup. I have the Hifiman He-400is connected to a Schiit stack playing FLAC files from Tidal (I'm aware the amp should be on top for better heat circulation, it's an oldish picture. Noob mistake on my part).So maybe a bit more than decent starting point. One question I have is: where to go from here? Im thinking of upgrading next year to a upper Mid-fi to lower Hifi headphone such as the Dt 1990 pro 250 Ohm or the He-560 to stick with Hifiman. Basically, what would a good step up pair if headphones be for ~$500?

20180923_010538.jpg

On 10/28/2018 at 12:49 AM, King Poet said:

dtabxdhdqnt11.thumb.jpg.2dc134fe1ca38efa2414969f4a151ad1.jpg3P7A1281-Edit.thumb.jpg.546f9439038a9700f5f9d72b08d4c917.jpg

PC > RME ADI-2 DAC > iFi Pro iCan > iFi iESL.

owo

stax

which kidney did you sell of to afford that?

1 hour ago, chin chin said:

owo

stax

which kidney did you sell of to afford that?

The STAX were the cheapest thing in either photo.

I wasted a lot of my money and time and terrible chi-fi IEMs from KZ. I owned several budget headphones. I borrowed a Hifiman HE 400 for a week. Yeah, it’s better than the gear that I have, but I wouldn’t even consider it 1.5 times better. Here’s the gear that I have and I really enjoy using:

- AKG K92 (like an ATH M50 but 1/3 of the price and in gold trim) 

- KEF m100 (these sound perfectly neutral)

- Marshall Mode (warm dark bassy earphones that are fun with indie music)

- KZ ZSA (better than most other garbage from KZ but the highs are still ever so sibilant)

My dream headphone would probably be a Sony flagship like the Z1R. But I am not prepared to spend $600 on the used market. It’s tempting though. 

Oh yeah, and I feel like I wasted $100 on this Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC that sounds about as good as the $15 iPhone headphone dongle. 

Living room

Speakers: JBL PA speakers with 15" 2226h woofer, altec 811b horns, emilar compression drivers

Woofer amp: Myriad MA-120

Tweeter amp: Chinese JLH Hood 1969 class A amp

Crossover/dsp: Minidsp 2x4

Preamp: Carver CT-7

8dwS5hn.jpg

Bedroom

Speakers: JBL LSR4326P monitors

DAC: Theta DSPro Progeny

Amp: Pete Millett Jonokuchi

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

DqdhSyg.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 10/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, zrmaxwell said:

I am just using skullcandy earphones plugged into my iphone 6 plus and my lenovo laptop.. I have Grado SR60i, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH m40X, and sennheiser HD 558, the closed back models are terrible comfort wise so i can't have them on for more than like 20 minutes before my ears get itchy, and hot and i have to take them off.. The open back models suck too because i have a loud family and when the loudness begins, i can barely hear my music and i am very sensitive to loud sounds to the point where it gets annoying at times. I really need to upgrade my audio game in terms of headphones and i need to get a new DAC since my current one crapped the bed.. 

Here is my point/question: Is there a good closed back headphone that blocks out a bunch of noise and sounds good for rock/metal music for about $250 or less? I will even go the in ear monitor route but they have to have detachable cables for the sake of longevity.. 

Anyone? 

You have a great closed back headphone the M40X. You just need new pads and they will be a whole new experience.. I changed the pads in the first 5 min of owning them the stock ones are horrible and most people who recommend that headphone tell people the pads are horrible and to upgrade them.  

Purchase a set of HM5 Angled Ear pads and you will thank me you can wear these for hours. I own a pair of m40x as well as (HD6XX HD558, XPT 100) I play games and listen to music for up to 6-7 hours in a day sometimes and never need to take them off due to comfort they are my go to pair due to noise as I live in an apartment.

At the least pickup the cheap pads below you will not regret it these headphones are transformed with these pads.

Link to pads:

Cheap: im sure they would work but cannot comment on the build quality: (This option would let you try it for 10$ and see if its something you would like and could save you hundreds on buying a whole new headphone)  

https://www.amazon.com/Angled-Memory-Foam-pads-Cushion/dp/B071F14DJP/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540842530&sr=8-9&keywords=hm5+angled+pads

Mid Pricedthis is what I have really comfy and have held up

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540842530&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+angled+pads

Expensive ones: really nice material.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540842530&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+angled+pads

On 10/27/2018 at 12:34 AM, Bloodshed Romance said:

Rip I have a mini itx system anyways so no expansion cards for me?

19 hours ago, Tz000 said:

You have a great closed back headphone the M40X. You just need new pads and they will be a whole new experience.. I changed the pads in the first 5 min of owning them the stock ones are horrible and most people who recommend that headphone tell people the pads are horrible and to upgrade them.  

Purchase a set of HM5 Angled Ear pads and you will thank me you can wear these for hours. I own a pair of m40x as well as (HD6XX HD558, XPT 100) I play games and listen to music for up to 6-7 hours in a day sometimes and never need to take them off due to comfort they are my go to pair due to noise as I live in an apartment.

At the least pickup the cheap pads below you will not regret it these headphones are transformed with these pads.

Link to pads:

Cheap: im sure they would work but cannot comment on the build quality: (This option would let you try it for 10$ and see if its something you would like and could save you hundreds on buying a whole new headphone)  

https://www.amazon.com/Angled-Memory-Foam-pads-Cushion/dp/B071F14DJP/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540842530&sr=8-9&keywords=hm5+angled+pads

Mid Pricedthis is what I have really comfy and have held up

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540842530&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+angled+pads

Expensive ones: really nice material.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540842530&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+angled+pads

When it comes to Audio Technica M series only two rules

1) Only the M40X is a good buy

2) Put on custom angled pads as soon as you get them.

I put them on before even listening for the first time and the isolation vastly improves and the sound signature changes ever so slightly but it sound way better especially with so much more air for the driver to vibrate at lows.

Looking at all these setups makes me wonder whether I will ever get to that level. I do hope I can build a great setup even 10% of one of those mentioned above.

For now, I make do with an ATH M40X with Brainwavz Angled earpads plugged into a HP Envy x360 getting audio from Amazon Music(no spotify here and Play Music is similar, only Prime is like 2$ a month here)

I didn't really listen to much music till about two years back and then I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 201 for 25$ and those had great sound for the buck maybe not the most balanced but good. Those stopped working and I got a replacement from Sennheiser but the replacement cans HD 205 are way too tight on any head.

Not many people in India care about audio except for those rich people who just randomly buy the most expensive BT headphone on the market form Bose, which means prices are really high. I think my current setup is a lot for me as I am just in high school.

Thinking about upgrading to 300-500$ cans after buying a new laptop for college. But first I want to find a physical store where I can listen to good cans and compare them. Even the big cinema industry in my country doesn't use the best audio and the producers EQ everything to crazy levels of bass. 

Nothing especially unique about my setup, except what I've paid for it.

I have my Audioengine A2+ (won in a raffle on their site) connected to my computer via USB and using the built in DAC and my Polk Audio PSW10 (father-in-law upgraded and I got his hand me down) connected to extend the low end. I use the RCA ins  on the A2+ for my Technics SLDD22 turntable (free when my friends were cleaning out their basement)

My DT990 250 ohm headphones were a birthday present from the same friends from whom I got the turntable, I built my own headphone stand using a 6 in round billet of aluminum ($5) and some scrap 1x4 hemlock I laminated together. I did have to buy some flat black spray paint ( ~$15) The O2 amp is a DIY affair which cost me a good $80 - 100, and I think the ModMic 5 cost about $60.

All told, maybe $200 out of my pocket 

20181030_223426.jpg

Warm and moody with undertones of chestnut and schittberry.