What are your best moving tips?

Slottr

In April I'll be making the move over to my first apartment, yes its a few months away but I thought I should get a head start.

Heres my situation: 

I'll be moving out with a really close friend of mine, known the guy since kindergarten. Were both students and are looking into getting a fairly sized apartment but also trying to keep costs low. 

So overall, what are somethings I can look into right now, on the day we move and rules to follow in the years to come?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

If you are renting, document all the existing damage so before you move in and inform your landlord about these so that you won't be charged for these damages when you move out. Back in college, my friends and I got screwed out of our deposit because of some of the littlest damage to walls.

If the apartment has carpet, if possible, get rug to cover almost all of it so that it doesn't get dirty. You can also adopt the no shoes in the apartment rule.

Document and take picture of everything in the apartment before moving in, so you cannot be blamed later on for something you didn't do.

Set rules on who does which chore in the house and when. Like this week you take out the trash and clean the dishes. Next week he does it.

Make sure you're both paying a similar amount of money(splitting bills), otherwise it may lead to quarrel later on like "I'm the one paying for the internet, why should I let you use it for free!?".

If you share the same fridge, either separate it in half for your stuff and his stuff or share together(while making sure you are both paying similar amounts in food each month... trash like cola, candies, chips, fast food not included)

You'll need rules for the bathroom usage and who buys the toilet paper. If you let a towel hang to dry after using it, make sure the other party knows not to use it as it is yours.
It's the little things like that, that can be a pain with a roommate.

Don't intrude on each other's personal space, invest in a locking doorknob for both of your rooms, keep the living room as a "communal space" where everything goes.

Don't be a dick and let the other sleep when they need to, no loud music or other crap like that.

Getting in a relationship while sharing an apartment with a friend, can break a friendship. Either because the partner will be jealous that you spend a lot of time with your friend or because you spend all your money on the new partner, leaving none to fulfill your responsibility. (Or the partner cheat on you with your friend)

There's plenty of little things like that, that should come to your mind easily if you think about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Document all damages with photo evidence before moving in and taking the keys. Make sure that you get the owner's signature stating that he reviewed the damages and that you're not liable for them. Retain a copy of the agreements and damages. 

Shoe rack at the entrance with a dirt and water pan. 

Curfew or noise level limits. 

Be sure to have a shared budget with a pool of cash for the month's expenses. Things like internet should be shared, but so should washing clothes. If one person washes more often, they should pay more unless you're washing together. Or you can use a laundromat. 

"Do Not Disturb" signals for those "other friend" occasions. Just don't make it an obvious one.

Soundproofing doors. 

Move all of your necessities to the front of the moving van (toilet paper, chairs, phones, etc.) so that you don't have to scramble for them. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

move

All depends on how far the move it, usually you just go rent a U-Haul and grab some buddies, or if you have a buddy with a truck then you can just rent a trailer, or you can hire Two Amigo's Moving or Two Small Men Moving, or you can hire a regular joe off of Kijiji or Craigslist to move your stuff, or if you are moving internationally you can hire United Van Lines. You got to be careful because some companies will hold your stuff hostage and claim over weight.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If you are renting, document all the existing damage so before you move in and inform your landlord about these so that you won't be charged for these damages when you move out. Back in college, my friends and I got screwed out of our deposit because of some of the littlest damage to walls.

If the apartment has carpet, if possible, get rug to cover almost all of it so that it doesn't get dirty. You can also adopt the no shoes in the apartment rule.

Will absolutely take that into account. Thanks so much!

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

We've talked about a lot of that, actually, having all written it down in a contract type of thing.

Relationship wise, thats super informative. We're both in relationships currently (obviously that can change in the coming months) but I can definitely see where that can cause issues.

57 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

A big thing for him is to find a place with in suite laundry, so we wont have to worry about that much (aside from detergent).

A lot of those little things help a lot. Thanks

11 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Current plan is to get some of my buddies to help.

Half of them drive trucks and the guy i'm moving in with has a huge F150, so hopefully they all accept pizza and beer  as payment lol

Video tape a walkthrough of the apartment, with the landlord or someone from the management of the apartment. Point out and specifically record any and all "damage" that already exists.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Video tape a walkthrough of the apartment, with the landlord or someone from the management of the apartment. Point out and specifically record any and all "damage" that already exists.

Awesome idea. I'll definitely be doing this.

Just now, Slottr said:

Awesome idea. I'll definitely be doing this.

Make sure to video tape them acknowledging the existence of any already existing damage.

If they refuse to do any of this, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to actually rent the place.

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

pizza and beer

Gas is expensive these days, so gas money, pizza, beer and vodka!

Landlords can be scumbags, so document it all with the landlord or agent with you, every scratch, every stain, EVERYTHING!

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

If they refuse to do any of this, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to actually rent the place.

Absolutely, fair point. 

Being students, we'd like to keep the same place for at least a couple years. Having a scummy landlord would kill me

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Having a scummy landlord would kill me

There are plenty out there!

And be warned, the landlord has more rights then you do!

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

landlord has more rights then you do!

Oh yeah, im well aware haha. Thanks so much

10 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Absolutely, fair point. 

Being students, we'd like to keep the same place for at least a couple years. Having a scummy landlord would kill me

Not sure about Canada, but know that in the US most places steadily raise the rent until you move out.

I'm not sure why they do this, but it's a known problem that local government usually fails to address. At least in non-rent-controlled areas.

I almost rented from a guy named Andrew Gooding sometimes called Drew Gooding in Calgary and what he did was buy a house, and literally converted the house to like 8 or 10 rooms, still had one stove so it was legal, I never saw Andrew just another person. Luckily I never rented from him. I learned that he is a scammer, not giving damage deposits back, letting the utilities get disconnected. That other person claimed Andrew lived there, but thats highly unlikely, but its per city by-law. As for taxes on rental income, who knows. I came to the conclusion that his $350k mortgage 12 yrs ago is now probably paid off with 8x$500=$4kx12=$50kx12yrs=$600k I have always wondered if I should rat him out to the taxman and the city.

You can pull the title of the property from the registry or auto registry or city hall and see who owns the property.

Then ask to see their ID.

Too many scams now a days, people not even owning the property and renting it out and scamming people.

Talk and make a contract on how bills are paid, find all damage and call things out to the landlord so you don’t get blamed for nonsense. Stains in the carpet, all that. Mold, and yeh. 

Don’t spend much on nonsense, you’ll prolly want your own house later & you’ll need money. 

50 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not sure about Canada, but know that in the US most places steadily raise the rent until you move out.

I'm not sure why they do this, but it's a known problem that local government usually fails to address. At least in non-rent-controlled areas.

Our price ceilings and floors are fairly tight, 

My dad's done a fair bit of landlord work for many properties and for certain know he or the group of guys he does it with, have ever raised rent to get someone out.

50 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I'll keep my eye out ;)

I'll be surprised if he moved to the prairies to pull his scams elsewhere

47 minutes ago, fpo said:

Talk and make a contract on how bills are paid, find all damage and call things out to the landlord so you don’t get blamed for nonsense. Stains in the carpet, all that. Mold, and yeh. 

Don’t spend much on nonsense, you’ll prolly want your own house later & you’ll need money. 

Understandable.

I'm fairly good with investments and saving, I'm certain i'll be good in that area :) 

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

z

How will utilities be paid?

Its always a hassle when the utilities are under someone elses name and they dont pay it and they turn off your heat in the middle of -40 degree weather. I knew someone who rented the main floor, utilities were under the name of the basement dweller renter and the guy I knew said "NEVER AGAIN!" he still lives there, utilities are under his name ;)

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

I'll be surprised if he moved to the prairies to pull his scams elsewhere

Those type of people, own many houses but they like to keep them in the same city for ease of ripping people off.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

How will utilities be paid?

Its always a hassle when the utilities are under someone elses name and they dont pay it and they turn off your heat in the middle of -40 degree weather. I knew someone who rented the main floor, utilities were under the name of the basement dweller renter and the guy I knew said "NEVER AGAIN!" he still lives there, utilities are under his name ;)

Oh jesus haha yeah I can't imagine that'd be too much fun. Currently we have a vague plan of having one person taking all bills and the other paying for them and doing an automatic monthly etransfer of funds.

Good idea or bad?