Microsoft and Xbox announce Project xCloud

ZacoAttaco
2 hours ago, Calt said:

?

So you're suggesting that ActiB don't care about the competitive gaming scene around Overwatch?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

It's a win win win for them and a lose lose lose lose for us

Whats the lose for us? We get no cheaters in games. sounds like a win to me.

7 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Whats the lose for us? We get no cheaters in games. sounds like a win to me.

this is consoles, so there were no cheating in the 1st place. All you have to do now to not have cheaters in your games is buy an xbox, i fail to see the difference.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

this is consoles, so there were no cheating in the 1st place. All you have to do now to not have cheaters in your games is buy an xbox, i fail to see the difference.

The article clearly states this is for mobile devices, which definitely has cheaters...

9 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I don't know we'll see how it catches on.  If gaming does just go to monthly subscription and streaming without actually owning the game digitally or physically I won't buy any new games. I Have a collection built up with titles from PS4, Wii, Wii U, Gamecube, 3DS, Nswitch, DS, GBA, and SNES Classic.  I suppose it'll free up funds and time to pursue my retro collection more

I'm gonna guess you like Nintendo? Sounds like quite the library you have built up, I'm trying to look after my old consoles. That's why I like the idea of classic consoles, that I can just play offline. Hopefully there is more of a push for these consoles. I'd be very interested in N64 Classic and the PS2 Classic, if they turn out to be true.

9 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Watch the movement here, there is a visible delay between moving the right stick (just after the explosion) and the player rotating and this is probably in an optimal setting.

Nice find, definitely a little unsettling, we don't know how early it is but it should be 'near perfect' conditions for them to show a demo, although to be fair this wasn't a demo, just more of an announcement. There is a noticeable delay.

7 hours ago, poochyena said:

The article clearly states this is for mobile devices, which definitely has cheaters...

Yeah but mobile devices aren't doing any of the actual processing, they just stream the game play from Xbox's on server blades in Microsofts data-centers. So it's the same constraints that consoles have, and consoles don't quite have the access to core files, making cheating and use of other tools pretty hard. So I doubt cheating would be an issue, latency on the other hand...

I'm just not keen on this type of technology personally, i wouldn't want to be in a position where my gaming life is thrown into turmoil because the internet is down.  Long live single player offline games!  

13 hours ago, BuckGup said:

How about work on getting SIMPLY internet to 4.22 billion people. Yeah over half the population still doesn't have internet

C'mon, microsoft's gaming division isnt gonna stop making money via video games and the internet just because some people dont have internet.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

14 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

C'mon, microsoft's gaming division isnt gonna stop making money via video games and the internet just because some people dont have internet.

Unfortunately, you're right, all the key markets, will have sufficient internet capabilities and that'll keep the business viable.

Even for us in Australia, for Blizzard titles, we play on Americas servers for games because it isn't financially viable for the market size to build a whole new region for Oceania. I could see the same for this xCloud initiative. Obviously they want to serve as many people as possible, but if it doesn't make sense from a business perspective then they won't care. It's just business.

10 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Unfortunately, you're right, all the key markets, will have sufficient internet capabilities and that'll keep the business viable.

Even for us in Australia, for Blizzard titles, we play on Americas servers for games because it isn't financially viable for the market size to build a whole new region for Oceania. I could see the same for this xCloud initiative. Obviously they want to serve as many people as possible, but if it doesn't make sense from a business perspective then they won't care. It's just business.

Blizzard has oceanic servers though, at least for WoW

Edit: Overwatch too?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm gonna guess you like Nintendo? Sounds like quite the library you have built up, I'm trying to look after my old consoles. That's why I like the idea of classic consoles, that I can just play offline. Hopefully there is more of a push for these consoles. I'd be very interested in N64 Classic and the PS2 Classic, if they turn out to be true.

Indeed i can't deny.  I dont have a huge library its just stuff I've built up as ive been gaming.  Still regret giving away my n64.  Hindsights a bitch but i hope some kid enjoyed it

3 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Blizzard has oceanic servers though, at least for WoW

In WoW there is only a few Oceanic servers, I mainly play Overwatch and I can often be queued with Americans.

9 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Indeed i can't deny.  I dont have a huge library its just stuff I've built up as ive been gaming.  Still regret giving away my n64.  Hindsights a bitch but i hope some kid enjoyed it

I think everyone has something they wish they hadn't given away, worse when it's tech-related. Live and learn I guess. ?

15 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

So it's the same constraints that consoles have, and consoles don't quite have the access to core files, making cheating and use of other tools pretty hard. So I doubt cheating would be an issue, latency on the other hand...

yea, thats my point....