My X470 msi motherboard may not be working

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
3 minutes ago, Oathkeeper98 said:

Yes both are plugged in but didnt notice any led's. I didnt attempt to power it since the power wasn't labled on the motherboard.

You won't know for sure until you try. Take a look in your manual to find the pins that control the power button. Just tapping them with a screwdriver should power the board up when connected to power. If nothing happens, it's probably DOA.

So I tried to test my X470 motherboard with a CX500m power supply to see if it was working which when I plugged everything in I didnt see any LED's on so I'm not sure if it's going to work or not. I'm not getting my newer CX650m till Tuesday along with the case that's why I was a little curious to if it would work or not. So is my motherboard not going to work when I set it up?

So did you plug in a CPU and RAM and actually turn the board on? (if it's not in a case, use a screwdriver)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Yes both are plugged in but didnt notice any led's. I didnt attempt to power it since the power wasn't labled on the motherboard.

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

So did you plug in a CPU and RAM and actually turn the board on? (if it's not in a case, use a screwdriver)

Yes both are plugged in but didnt notice any led's. I didnt attempt to power it since the power wasn't labled on the motherboard.

You won't know for sure until you try. Take a look in your manual to find the pins that control the power button. Just tapping them with a screwdriver should power the board up when connected to power. If nothing happens, it's probably DOA.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

25 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Alright I got it on but now the VGA light is on 

2 minutes ago, Oathkeeper98 said:

Alright I got it on but now the VGA light is on 

Makes sense if you don't have a GPU installed combined with a Ryzen non-G processor. Do you have a semi-modern graphics card to test with?

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Makes sense if you don't have a GPU installed combined with a Ryzen non-G processor. Do you have a semi-modern graphics card to test with?

Yeah I got a 1070 but I currently have the psu from that rig in the motherboard I'm testing. It has on bored the so I find it to be odd that's its trying display  from that 

Yeah I got a 1070 but I currently have the psu from that rig in the motherboard I'm testing. It has on bored the so I find it to be odd that's its trying display  from that 

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Do you have the 1070 installed on the X470 or not? Because if not, and you're not running a 200GE, 2200G or 2400G CPU, it will always try to find onboard graphics, which it can't, and won't POST as a result. So far, it seems the board is okay, though.

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Do you have the 1070 installed on the X470 or not? Because if not, and you're not running a 200GE, 2200G or 2400G CPU, it will always try to find onboard graphics, which it can't, and won't POST as a result. So far, it seems the board is okay, though.

That's good and this is give insight to what I meant.

1538992086241694740422759333412.jpg

Just now, Oathkeeper98 said:

1538992086241694740422759333412.jpg

Currently the GPU is other PC lol but atleast no CPU or memory light turned on so I'll be properly booting Tuesday 

2 minutes ago, Oathkeeper98 said:

Ah, check. To know for sure the board is good, put in a graphics card and connect a monitor. It should POST, judging from what you've been describing thus far :) 

14 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ah, check. To know for sure the board is good, put in a graphics card and connect a monitor. It should POST, judging from what you've been describing thus far :) 

It works thank you so much! 

20181008_060442.jpg