Is my corsair VS 650w enough for a veag 56 red Dragon ?

Spaiden

So i am planning on getting a Vega 56 and in know they are power hungry so i just want to if my psu will be enough.If i need a new psu could you recommend a cheap but good psu.I also have an i5 4590

The Vega 56 will be a bottleneck for that i5 and the Corsair VS series is concidered rather crap, so those are both things to consider here.

Yes, in its current state, your PC will work with the Vega card, albeit at reduced performance. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

The Vega 56 will be a bottleneck for that i5 and the Corsair VS series is concidered rather crap, so those are both things to consider here.

Yes, in its current state, your PC will work with the Vega card, albeit at reduced performance. 

how much will it bootleneck? if the bootleneck is so huge that i cant play anymore then its a problem for me

2 minutes ago, Spaiden said:

how much will it bootleneck? if the bootleneck is so huge that i cant play anymore then its a problem for me

Won't be that bad, but don't expect a really big jump if you're already using something like a GTX970/R9 290 in games like GTA V or BF1.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Won't be that bad, but don't expect a really big jump if you're already using something like a GTX970/R9 290 in games like GTA V or BF1.

yeah i know GTA and BF are more CPU intensive if i remember correctly.But those are games that i dont play so yeah

The VS power supply line is quite unreliable. Get a Corsair CX 550 to replace it. 

Also, you're pairing a modern high end graphics card with an old mid end CPU, that's just asking for an unbalanced system. What graphics card do you currently use?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

42 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The VS power supply line is quite unreliable. Get a Corsair CX 550 to replace it. 

Also, you're pairing a modern high end graphics card with an old mid end CPU, that's just asking for an unbalanced system. What graphics card do you currently use?

970 i guess then a cpu upgrade would be more usefull ? but to what should i upgrade to?

8 minutes ago, Spaiden said:

970 i guess then a cpu upgrade would be more usefull ? but to what should i upgrade to?

I think an i7 4790 would be good to get from the used market, and if you want something more modern, get a ryzen 5 2600 on a B350 or an i5 8400 on a B360.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

The VS power supply line is quite unreliable.

Really?

Got links?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Really?

Got links?

Yeah let me go out of my way to retread what the PSU tier list on the forum has already compiled.

I might not be a power supply expert, but one shouldn't have to go to a link archive whenever giving hardware advice.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah let me go out of my way to retread what the PSU tier list on the forum has already compiled.

I might not be a power supply expert, but one shouldn't have to go to a link archive whenever giving hardware advice.

We all know where the tier list is, but it doesn't say the VS is "unreliable".

You specifically stated that the VS is "unreliable", which would tend to suggest that they have a high failure rate.

Unless you mis-spoke.

We don't know how long the OP has had his VS.   It would be good to know that and if he's had any issues previously that would suggest that it is somehow "unreliable". 

I'm not sure if the Vega 56 has the same transient spikes that the Vega 64 has.  This would be a concern.

650W is more than enough power and the VS650 is rated to output 650W continuously unlike a lot of other cheap PSUs on the market today.  I would suggest the OP get the card and run some benchmarks on it (I suggest Catzilla since it has a lot of transient spikes) to see if there's any abnormal behavior before shitting on his PSU.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

We all know where the tier list is, but it doesn't say the VS is "unreliable".

You specifically stated that the VS is "unreliable", which would tend to suggest that they have a high failure rate.

Unless you mis-spoke.

We don't know how long the OP has had his VS.   It would be good to know that and if he's had any issues previously that would suggest that it is somehow "unreliable". 

I'm not sure if the Vega 56 has the same transient spikes that the Vega 64 has.  This would be a concern.

650W is more than enough power and the VS650 is rated to output 650W continuously unlike a lot of other cheap PSUs on the market today.  I would suggest the OP get the card and run some benchmarks on it (I suggest Catzilla since it has a lot of transient spikes) to see if there's any abnormal behavior before shitting on his PSU.

I suposse you're right about my wording, the quality is what is in question as opposed to reliability.

I did once seek the efficiency curve of the VS series, and it appears many corsair PSUs are most efficient at 30%, but I couldn't find the VS specifically. Hopefully a non-certified PSU doesn't lose all too much efficiency at higher loads, or else a high power draw system is far from ideal.

Primary PC:

12 hours ago, Spaiden said:

So i am planning on getting a Vega 56 and in know they are power hungry so i just want to if my psu will be enough.If i need a new psu could you recommend a cheap but good psu.I also have an i5 4590

No, you should get something better.

Depending on where you live a Bitfenix Formula, Cougar GX-F, be quiet Straight Power 11 are good options, 550W or more.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"