A Good, cheap phone

Trekie47

So i am in the market for a good smartphone. Now what i would classify as a good smartphone, is something that has decent battery life, and a good camera. I dont care what the brand is as long as it can be trusted, and newer than 2016.Thanks for the suggestions

me and my wife got this blu phone...battery lasts a long time..decent camera..and screen look really good and does everything we throw at it so far..........the only complaint is phone in speaker mode...has a slight echo...oh and it only like 130 dollars
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Life-One-X3-Smartphone/dp/B0784VB4JX/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1537992141&sr=1-6&keywords=blu+phones+unlocked&dpID=414wXBY8lgL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

4 hours ago, Slottr said:

If you're alright with going with iOS, the 6s is a great phone.

i've heard its got battery issues, and if it bends too much pcb's could get damaged or disconnected

1 hour ago, Trekie47 said:

i've heard its got battery issues, and if it bends too much pcb's could get damaged or disconnected

It was the initial 6 that had bend issues. The 6s is perfectly fine.

Battery issues I never faced, I used the phone for a good two years and didnt have any issues.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 hours ago, circeseye said:

me and my wife got this blu phone...battery lasts a long time..decent camera..and screen look really good and does everything we throw at it so far..........the only complaint is phone in speaker mode...has a slight echo...oh and it only like 130 dollars
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Life-One-X3-Smartphone/dp/B0784VB4JX/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1537992141&sr=1-6&keywords=blu+phones+unlocked&dpID=414wXBY8lgL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Those phones are full of bloatware junk and supposedly malware ridden

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Those phones are full of bloatware junk and supposedly malware ridden

um where did you hear that lol......about 2 years ago a app got put on that was bloat but it wasnt what blu wanted and it got removed.........there is no bloatware on them or malware...there are  2 basic blu apps (blu help and blu rewards) on it that can be shut down...and every app can be uninstalled except of course the stupid google play stuff but they can be fully shut down also.....so i believe you are misinformed

I've had a Moto G4 the past couple years and while I'm going to have to replace it in the near future, it was a great phone. This year's successor is the G6 ($220)

Some other options are:

Essential Phone ($350)

OnePlus 6 is more mid-range ($529)

Nokia 6 ($230)

the Poco Phone that everyone's talking about (I think its $400 if you can find it)

You mean Oneplus 6 is more than mid-range? ^^ that's quite a Flaggship already with at worst only some minor cons.

I would not pay 400 bucks for a pocophone, if a Oneplus 6 is only 100 bucks more.

For 200, or at least 150 bucks less, then yea, i would consider it (if you can live with the disadvantages)

"Cheap" & "Good" aren't two words that normally go together when talking about phones.

9 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

"Cheap" & "Good" aren't two words that normally go together when talking about phones.

Eh, this was true 4-ish years ago, but these days cheap phones can be pretty good. You really don't need a flagship to get something worthwhile anymore. As an example, let me bring up the Moto G line again. Cheap? yes. But it isn't full of bloat, has a decent screen, fast enough specs for normal use, and it even includes features like fast charging. I'm not saying they are perfect phones (the cameras definitely aren't flagship-quality) but I think that they'd suit the needs of most people.

On 9/27/2018 at 5:43 PM, greenlotad said:

Eh, this was true 4-ish years ago, but these days cheap phones can be pretty good. You really don't need a flagship to get something worthwhile anymore. As an example, let me bring up the Moto G line again. Cheap? yes. But it isn't full of bloat, has a decent screen, fast enough specs for normal use, and it even includes features like fast charging. I'm not saying they are perfect phones (the cameras definitely aren't flagship-quality) but I think that they'd suit the needs of most people.

This all comes down to what you think is "GOOD" and at what price point. If you want a well rounded quality phone then you aren't going to get it by sacrificing camera quality or battery time. You won't get it from getting a phone with a 2k screen, but no having the GPU to power it. You need at least a good balance, normally a budget phone sacrifices in a couple of those areas.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:45 PM, Trekie47 said:

So i am in the market for a good smartphone. Now what i would classify as a good smartphone, is something that has decent battery life, and a good camera. I dont care what the brand is as long as it can be trusted, and newer than 2016.Thanks for the suggestions

I am eyeballing the LG G6. It seems way underpriced. I wouldn’t even bother with budget/midrange options. 

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. They are still amazing devices in 2018. 

Decent camera, has OIS if you get the Plus

Ok battery life, good in the case of the Plus

It has a headphone jack

Good screen

Fast

Reliable

Secure (TouchID)

Runs iOS 12 and will continue to get security updates and iOS updates probably into 2020. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)