Buying my first car, would like some feedback!

TheHolyCawCaw

Ahoi there!

As the title says I am looking at cars currently as I will soon buy my first car. I am not really a car guy in the way that I know all of the specific thingies, but I enjoy driving a lot.

Currently I am tempted on getting a Bmw 1 or a Honda Civic Sport. My overall budget is 35k € but would maybe go up to 40k € if it would really be an worthwhile thing to do.

The Bmw1 has a 118d engine and is an automatic car which I wouldnt mind as they are pretty decent in bmw's; and has the M-Kit and multiple other additional gadgets as they have a special offer going on. (Pdf provides them though some are in French words).

The Honda Civic Sport Plus has a more extravagant look and more power and has manual gear, though it has less gadgets. It a bit cheaper then the Bmw.

So which car would you choose?

Looking forward on hearing your opinions! 

BMW Bilia - Emond - BMW Série 1 Hatch 2.pdf

For your first car and already a budget of 40k?

Been saving for a while have you?

Personally i would say buy something you're not gonna be beat up about when you crash it (if you're new to driving you WILL crash it at some point)

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

For your first car and already a budget of 40k?

Been saving for a while have you?

Personally i would say buy something you're not gonna be beat up about when you crash it (if you're new to driving you WILL crash it at some point)

Oh no Im not new to driving at all, I am 23 and had my driving license since 18; been driving ever since. 

Well yeah saving a bit and got a pretty decent job that helps a lot with the budget to be honest^^

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Step 1: reconsider buying a BMW. 

Personally I’d get the Civic; it’s probably cheaper to insure. 

You have bad experience with Bmw or is it simply a general matter?^^

1 minute ago, TheHolyCawCaw said:

Oh no Im not new to driving at all, I am 23 and had my driving license since 18; been driving ever since. 

Well yeah saving a bit and got a pretty decent job that helps a lot with the budget to be honest^^

Then how have you got your cars? Company cars?

I'd go with the Honda Civic.

2 minutes ago, TheHolyCawCaw said:

BMWs are fine, great when they're new, but when something goes wrong it can be a pain. When I say pain, I really mean it.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

3 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

Then how have you got your cars? Company cars?

No actually cars of my parents that I could drive quite often I got lucky there : /

The civic:

1. It's manual
  2. It's not diesel

Perfect.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DimasRMDO said:

I'd go with the Honda Civic.

BMWs are fine, great when they're new, but when something goes wrong it can be a pain. When I say pain, I really mean it.

I really like the look of it, the only thing is it really has way less gadgets but it stands out quite a lot and my parents always had a Honda which might lower the price even a bit more.

I actually heard that from a few people but others say they are great I never know whom to trust damn haha

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The civic:

1. It's manual
  2. It's not diesel

Perfect.

Yep I like driving manual^^ 

Yeah not having a Diesel is also good, the Civic only eats a little bit more fuel but well,its not like its not supposed to do that its a Sports car kinda again^^

1 minute ago, TheHolyCawCaw said:

I really like the look of it, the only thing is it really has way less gadgets but it stands out quite a lot and my parents always had a Honda which might lower the price even a bit more.

I actually heard that from a few people but others say they are great I never know whom to trust damn haha

Looking at the bright side, less gadget means you don't have to worry for more things to break.

It depends on where you live, I like BMWs but all car manufacturers have weak points.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

Buy this 

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2/t-34-35

If you are in the US like me, you just need to replace the metal track with rubber and it will then be legal to drive in the roads. 

Are you fucking serious is that possible? hahahaha

I am not from the US though Im from Luxembourg so thats no option for me^^

I'm guessing you are looking at the used market, correct? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I'm guessing you are looking at the used market, correct? 

No new ones, except if there would be a really really good deal as I want to keep the 2 year warranty from the brand

40 minutes ago, TheHolyCawCaw said:

I feel like he's running off the typical stereotype. The BMW is probably the nicer car, depending on spec etc, build quality I've found to be as you;'d expect for the price premium. But a BMW will be more to run and insure than the Civic, no doubt.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Personally I wouldn't look at either of those options, but out of the two, it would easily be the Honda Civic, it'll be much more reliable, and parts/repairs will be a lot cheaper.

I'd look at something like a Toyota Camry or Corolla, or a VW Golf (Particularly like the Alltrack or SprortWagen - not a fan of the regular Golf)/Jetta/Passat.

But if you're set on the two you've listed above, get the Civic. Owning a car and driving your parents car are very different things - even if you have a decent job, take the money you save on maintenance and put it into a savings fund. Use that fund for whatever, or put it towards a nicer "2nd car" that's more expensive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, TheHolyCawCaw said:

except if there would be a really really good deal

If you are going out to look at some used vehicles, check the front chassis legs for accident damage. If these look accident damaged in anyway shape or form walk away from the vehicle and look for other vehicles in your area. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

I feel like he's running off the typical stereotype. The BMW is probably the nicer car, depending on spec etc, build quality I've found to be as you;'d expect for the price premium. But a BMW will be more to run and insure than the Civic, no doubt.

Thats what I heard so far from reviews that the Bmw has pretty decent build quality where on the other hand the Civic Sport is not the best one especially the interior...

To be honest the insurance in not that far off and are considerable close to my own surprise^^

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Personally I wouldn't look at either of those options, but out of the two, it would easily be the Honda Civic, it'll be much more reliable, and parts/repairs will be a lot cheaper.

I'd look at something like a Toyota Camry or Corolla, or a VW Golf (Particularly like the Alltrack or SprortWagen - not a fan of the regular Golf)/Jetta/Passat.

But if you're set on the two you've listed above, get the Civic. Owning a car and driving your parents car are very different things - even if you have a decent job, take the money you save on maintenance and put it into a savings fund. Use that fund for whatever, or put it towards a nicer "2nd car" that's more expensive.

Yeah that seems more than reasonable, I also looked at the VW Golf but I somehow do not like the look of it ( simply other taste that I like not much to do with the car itself). 

I will nevertheless have a look at the other one you mentioned!

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If you are going out to look at some used vehicles, check the front chassis legs for accident damage. If these look accident damaged in anyway shape or form walk away from the vehicle and look for other vehicles in your area. 

Thats a great tip thank you! I really dont know that much about cars so all tips are helpful haha

@TheHolyCawCaw that IS a surprise, insurance wise! But I guess we need to take into account what engine sizes are we talking about here? 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

if you're prone to park like an ass, love to honk in red lights or want to pass the guy ahead of you which is going 59 km/h in a 60 km/h road, get a BMW

otherwise get the Civic

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB