INSANE FPS from an Rx 480 ಥ_ಥ

About a year ago I bought an Rx 480 8 GB Red Devil. 

The packaging was nice and I scored it with a good deal. I was happy and excited!

A week later I received the card and through it in my system, yeet! Not literally... sadly. 

The system I used with the 480 was an AMD-FM-4350 Quad Core @ 4.20 GHz. That paired with a decent Mobo, a solid state and an overqualified 750-watt power supply meant we were ready.

I started with a Unigene Heaven Benchmark at 1080 with 0x at ultra. We got 43 FPS... I wasn't quite sure what to expect so I thought that was good. I booted up a game and the FPS tanked. I then booted up Minecraft as its graphics are relatively plain. The FPS also tanked along with tearable screen tearing. 

I used the drivers from the included disk which had an update once installed. (yes I am running windows 10)

So I find myself stuck and I have two theories. One: I have configured the Card wrong? Two: My CPU is throttling? 

Some suggestions on what to try for fixing this would be great so we can get back to those smooth frames... 

Thank you in advance?

You are insanely cpu throttled with a 6 year old cpu and ddr3 ram in current 1080p games. Heaven is very gpu centered, so it didn't show the cpu bottleneck too badly, but it will continue to tank in games until you upgrade to a new cpu platform, be it ryzen or intel.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

3 minutes ago, wiredbrother said:

(yes I am running windows 10)

On a quad core piledriver... OOF

Looks nice, doesn't works. Install 7. Then bump the CPU to at least 4.4 GHz, you could do more but you'll need better cooling

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

You are insanely cpu throttled with a 6 year old cpu and ddr3 ram in current 1080p games. Heaven is very gpu centered, so it didn't show the cpu bottleneck too badly, but it will continue to tank in games until you upgrade to a new cpu platform, be it ryzen or intel.

DDR3 has nothing to do with this.

FragBox: i7-2700k 4.7-12GB Samsung 1600mhz CL8-ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN 3-R9 Fury Nitro custom bios-NZXT HALE90 750W-NZXT s340

AOC i2267WH IPS

6 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Nothing to do with how bad his system is. I'd see about a refund for the card or see the level of thermal paste. It seems like the card hasn't been treated very well. 

That cpu is crap. It was quite crap when it came out and it's a lot worse today.

I would get a cheap am4 mobo, 8gb ddr4 (or 4 if 8 is too expensive) and whatever cpu you can afford that has zen-based cores. Even the athlon 200GE would be a decent upgrade.

Or go the 2nd hand route.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

23 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

I don't own a CPU newer than 2011, I still manage can 18670 in Firestrike and 1076 in Cinebench. There's absolutely nothing wrong with DDR3.

I just ran Heaven Ultra on a Phenom II 945 at 4.6ghz with a lightly overclocked R9 280(non-X) GCN1. It's even running on one of those junk motherboards with no VRM heatsinks and the Gigabyte phases that are known to explode. While I definitely don't use this computer frequently, it still makes a killer spare computer for some 1080p gaming on a 60hz monitor.

It got 67.2fps with a score of 1692. There's definitely something wrong with your setup.

So I am getting two sides to this.

1. My CPU is old and is throttling or...

2. there is something configured wrong.

or both? 

Minecraft runs on a potato - from what I can tell on your OP you have owned the card for a year with zero problems until today?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Nothing to do with how bad his system is

So the low frames aren't influenced by the 6 year old cpu? /s It's the architecture and how old the rest of the system in comparison to the gpu.

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

4 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

There's definitely something wrong with your setup.

Yup, the cpu is throttling the system.

1 hour ago, wiredbrother said:

So I am getting two sides to this.

1. My CPU is old and is throttling or...

2. there is something configured wrong.

or both? 

Looking at the utilization, there is a reason you are only pulling 14 fps in minecraft and 22% usage on the gpu.  Side note, minecraft is very cpu intensive, so i'd turn down the render settings on a cpu that can't handle that workload too effectively.  You have a cpu bottleneck and upgrading may not only fix problems you may be currently having, but it will also increase the workload capacity of your pc in gaming and other things. If you need help upgrading or can get something together quickly, let us know.

My current rig:

1 hour ago, hconverse02 said:

So the low frames aren't influenced by the 6 year old cpu? /s It's the architecture and how old the rest of the system in comparison to the gpu.

Low frames are but not screen tearing / artifacting.

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Low frames are but not screen tearing / artifacting.

Screen tearing is very different than artifacting.  Screen tearing happens on all pcs and only on monitors with g-sync/freesync or with some v-sync tech, does that become 'fixed.'  He said nothing about artifacting, so that's not an issue here and therefore with the information givenwe can assume that the card is not dying/dead.

Edited by hconverse02
added words

My current rig:

Yup, the cpu is throttling the system.

Looking at the utilization, there is a reason you are only pulling 14 fps in minecraft and 22% usage on the gpu.  Side note, minecraft is very cpu intensive, so i'd turn down the render settings on a cpu that can't handle that workload too effectively.  You have a cpu bottleneck and upgrading may not only fix problems you may be currently having, but it will also increase the workload capacity of your pc in gaming and other things. If you need help upgrading or can get something together quickly, let us know.

So why will my much older cpu with worse performance and a worse graphics card out perform his on a similar platform? I use a 9 year old CPU and motherboard every single day, the age of the hardware has nothing to do with it. The hardware is adequate for what he is trying to do with it and much worse, older hardware performs much much better than what he has. If I hadn't just sold my 6870, I'd toss that into a Q6600 and probably beat 45fps in Heaven benchmark...

Looking at the utilization he marked out that the CPU was at 32% at 4.14ghz... While we can't just see what his core usage is, I'm sure the games he's playing can use more than a single thread.

Use DDU, install latest amd drivers, grab open hardware monitor, check temps, look for stuff pegged at 100%, overtemp ect. Dunno about FX but I know most AM3 stuff doesn't like being very hot. You keep saying you think it's throttling, have you checked the temps yet? Hit it with a benchmark like Cinebench, should be decently similar to heavy load while not abusing it too hard.

Observe anything that's running, see if you can find any sort of correlation between any lag spikes, ect and something moving upwards in usage. Past that, it's pretty much just shooting in the dark unless you can find something that at least suggests what's going on. Reinstalling windows and troubleshooting hardware will come quickly at that point. Sometimes I've heard of peripherals and all sorts of different stuff causing issues with other things.  

Also use modern drivers the one that it came with are probably 2 years old.

7 hours ago, wiredbrother said:

About a year ago I bought an Rx 480 8 GB Red Devil. 

The packaging was nice and I scored it with a good deal. I was happy and excited!

A week later I received the card and through it in my system, yeet! Not literally... sadly. 

The system I used with the 480 was an AMD-FM-4350 Quad Core @ 4.20 GHz. That paired with a decent Mobo, a solid state and an overqualified 750-watt power supply meant we were ready.

I started with a Unigene Heaven Benchmark at 1080 with 0x at ultra. We got 43 FPS... I wasn't quite sure what to expect so I thought that was good. I booted up a game and the FPS tanked. I then booted up Minecraft as its graphics are relatively plain. The FPS also tanked along with tearable screen tearing. 

I used the drivers from the included disk which had an update once installed. (yes I am running windows 10)

So I find myself stuck and I have two theories. One: I have configured the Card wrong? Two: My CPU is throttling? 

Some suggestions on what to try for fixing this would be great so we can get back to those smooth frames... 

Thank you in advance?

Your CPU is garbage unfortunately

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Screen tearing is very different than artifacting.  Screen tearing happens on all pcs and only on monitors with g-sync/freesync or with some v-sync tech, does that become 'fixed.'  He said nothing about artifacting, so that's not an issue here and therefore with the information givenwe can assume that the card is not dying/dead.

Not correct. 

So after increasing Fan Speed using WattMan and bringing the GPU down to I think normal temps we booted a game back up. The FPS still tanks...

2018-09-25_22-33-08.thumb.png.6a7f265222c454578746e86b44bb8b55.png

35 minutes ago, wiredbrother said:

So after increasing Fan Speed using WattMan and bringing the GPU down to I think normal temps we booted a game back up. The FPS still tanks...

Vanilla MC is all about CPU, try tweak it with Optifine. 

42c idle is normal for GPU.

Why some of your CPU clocked at 1.4ghz while on load? Try use High Performance window power option.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Vanilla MC is all about CPU, try tweak it with Optifine. 

42c idle is normal for GPU.

Why some of your CPU clocked at 1.4ghz while on load? Try use High Performance window power option.

Windows High Performance Energy Profile is already enabled. Is this something I should be looking for in the BIOS?