Looking for Case with great thermals that is not too noisy

Tech Enthusiast

I know that good temps and quiet operation don't go well together.

But finding a good balance seems to be just harder than just going for one or the other.

The case has to have enough room for a 327mm GPU, so the Fractal Design C Meshify is out.

Changing the fans is expected, so I am fine with paying extra.

Tried checking GamersNexus tables, but they don't show how well build a case is, but only how well the stock fans work. Kinda useless sadly.

Currently thinking about a silence based Define R6, while adding more fans to fix the cooling, or going for a Cooler Master H500P Mesh.

The CM one kinda makes it hard to exchange the sucky fans for better ones tho. There are very few 200mm options nowadays.

Also looking at Lian Li Lancool One, with better fans. The reviews are pretty positive and suggest a solid headroom for cooling improvements when adding more / better fans. It seems like a semi-open case, so could fit the cooling/noise bill quite nicely. But unsure how much better fans would help here, as the thermal performance stock is not that great. (noise is tho)

So, anyone got an idea on which case + fan combo would be a solid bet for me?

Again, money is of no concern really, all I care about is a solid cooling / noise balance. Not looking like an RGB monster on drugs would be a plus though. 

have a look at bequite

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

8 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Does the Size of the Case matter?

The Coolermaster H500 is going to be fine

9 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

but they don't show how well build a case is, but only how well the stock fans work

They usually make mention if there's any major design issues, like with the original H500P having panels that fall over and being squeaky.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Acid Panda said:

have a look at bequite

Anything built for silence like Bequite or Fractal is going to have more restrictive airflow.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

the Cooler Master MasterCase H500

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Oop, streeguru beat me to it

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

12 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Also looking at Lian Li Lancool One,

Speaking of Lian Li though you could grab the 011 dynamic, airflow version is out but It's really not necessary at all

Otherwise Try a Core X9 with 200mm noctua fans if you don't care about size

Spoiler

Bequiet and fractal design are great.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Size only matters if it can't fit a 327mm GPU. Bigger is no issue, though I would likely not buy a server rack sized case either. ;-)

I'll check the Lian Li Dynamic out.

Planning on adding a few of these Deep Silent fans. 68.5 CFM at only 14.4 dB.

If a case can fit 200mm fans, ill go for those Noctua nf-a20 . 86.4 CFM at only 18.1 dB.

Just need to find the right case for these I guess.

1 hour ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

The Core X9 is pretty big but offers a ton of options for cooling

Forget any other fans, just buy all noctua, maybe not the newest ones though unless you care a bunch about it, those are $30 a fan

Spoiler

Kinda settled for the Lian Li Lancool One.

Thinking about replacing the front fan with 2x140mm Phantecks PH-F140XP PWM, while the back gets a Noctua NF-S12A PWM Chromax.Black.

For 140mm Phantecks seems to have a much more silent offering, that also happens to push more air and higher pressure. The only other fan that beats this on paper is from Nonoxia and they seem to go for very cheap parts and are hit or miss from what I gathered, also their Numbers on paper do not seem to match up with reviews.

For the rear the case only offers space for a single 120mm fan, so I went with Noctua over Silent Wing 3s, due to pushing about 25% more Air, with only marginally more noise. I will play with the two built-in 120 fans to see if using bottom/top will actually improve temperatures, over having a better air tunnel.

Picked the Case for being the only one that went for 35 or less dB Noise in any GamersNexus test, while still having a front that does not obstruct air flow. When removing the front panel it only seems to drop about 0.9 Degree, which is much less than the common 10 degree other cases see that are also considered silent.

The one downside is medicore cooling, but this comes from two very weak and bad stock fans. Improving the incoming airflow by almost 6x CFM should fix this pretty easily. Due to the great front panel that incoming air has a chance to actually work, which other more silent cases do not offer at all.

Also, the case looks kinda ok. Not too over the top and not like a boring box.

If the fan tests with top/bottom lead to better cooling, I would plug in some more quality fans, but for now, I will stick with only adding 3 fans while replacing the 2 stock ones.

12 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Tried checking GamersNexus tables, but they don't show how well build a case is, but only how well the stock fans work.

For Quality of case I usually reference HardwareCanucks who does a better job of detailing "The Build process" GN is only interested in thermals and objective stats.

A case similar to the Meshify C is the Enthoo Pro M TG, unless you're settled on the Lancool One

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

For Quality of case I usually reference HardwareCanucks who does a better job of detailing "The Build process" GN is only interested in thermals and objective stats.

A case similar to the Meshify C is the Enthoo Pro M TG, unless you're settled on the Lancool One

Thanks, good tips!

Settled for the Lancool One for this build (my Wife needs the case, as her 2080 TI is 327mm big and she has no removable drive bays in the old one).

In the not so distant future, I am planning on going a very similar route for my own build though. So I will keep looking for alternatives. Thanks.