i7-4770k + GTX 1080 - Problems with lower FPS than expected in BF1. Help!

USCdeacon

My current specs: i7-4770k running stock 3.5Ghz but turbo boost up to 3.9Ghz Asus Z-87 Pro mobo 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport - 1333Mhz EVGA GTX 1080 8GB SC2 w/ iCX on 399.24 drivers Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB (OS drive) Samsung 850 Evo - 500GB (Game installed on here)

I've tried OC'ing my 4770k to >4.0Ghz, but it's unstable even at 4.0Ghz with voltage at 1.2 - got a bad one I guess, so running on stock for now.

Running BF1 on Ultra preset, 1080p, no super-sampling, etc. and getting 70-80fps on average in multiplayer. That doesn't seem right to me.

In campaign, I'm getting about the same, with occasional moments of 100+fps. Here's a recording of the beginning of "Fall From Grace" mission: https://youtu.be/OaQeYTOmtxY

My thoughts so far:

1) Card was installed with new drivers straight from Nvidia following DDU installation of drivers for my old card. So I don't think it's a driver issue.

2) Thermal readout on CPU and GPU both seem fine, so don't think any throttling is going on.

3) Processor power management through Windows 10 set for maximum performance, min and max processor state is 100%.

4) Thought maybe it was the old cores getting unparked issue, but all cores are running fine.
5) Don't think it's CPU bottleneck as GPU stays at 99-100% and all cores aren't getting close to full utilization.

6) Origin In-Game Overlay disabled.

7) Nvidia Control Panel set to "Let 3D application decide".

Any ideas on what's going on? Or is this performance expected for my setup?

----

Userbenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 106%, Desk 87%, Work 66%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K - 77.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 127.7%
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB - 94.1%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - 135.7%
RAM: Crucial BLS8G3D1609DS1S00. 2x8GB - 61.5%
MBD: Asus Z87-PRO

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11015769

I am willing to help you but can you please set the color to something readable in dark mode? -Thank you.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

15 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I am willing to help you but can you please set the color to something readable in dark mode? -Thank you.

yes of course - I'll edit the text and upload a new video! Also going to try to perform a userbenchmark and upload that as well to provide more info.

17 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

My current specs: i7-4770k running stock 3.5Ghz but turbo boost up to 3.9Ghz Asus Z-87 Pro mobo 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport - 1333Mhz EVGA GTX 1080 8GB SC2 w/ iCX on 399.24 drivers Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB (OS drive) Samsung 850 Evo - 500GB (Game installed on here)

I've tried OC'ing my 4770k to >4.0Ghz, but it's unstable even at 4.0Ghz with voltage at 1.2 - got a bad one I guess, so running on stock for now.

Running BF1 on Ultra preset, 1080p, no super-sampling, etc. and getting 70-80fps on average in multiplayer. That doesn't seem right to me.

In campaign, I'm getting about the same, with occasional moments of 100+fps. Here's a recording of the beginning of "Fall From Grace" mission: https://youtu.be/OaQeYTOmtxY

My thoughts so far:

1) Card was installed with new drivers straight from Nvidia following DDU installation of drivers for my old card. So I don't think it's a driver issue.

2) Thermal readout on CPU and GPU both seem fine, so don't think any throttling is going on.

3) Processor power management through Windows 10 set for maximum performance, min and max processor state is 100%.

4) Thought maybe it was the old cores getting unparked issue, but all cores are running fine.
5) Don't think it's CPU bottleneck as GPU stays at 99-100% and all cores aren't getting close to full utilization.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

18 minutes ago, USCdeacon said:

My thoughts so far:

is your problem persist in other games ? maybe u set resoliution scale way higher in than it used to be, though you said that no super sampling, don't know how to explain it, i had 1080 with my i7 2600k year ago, could play bf1 on ultra on my 4k screen with 50-60fps no problem. Try some overclocking of your cpu, use manual on youtube, you definetly could do atleast 4,4ghz or more 1.2 voltage is too low i wouldn't use less than 1,35-1,4 to get anywhere near 4,4

4 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I'm assuming you mean for the rivatuner readout in the video, correct?

4 hours ago, Tadziunia said:

is your problem persist in other games ? maybe u set resoliution scale way higher in than it used to be, though you said that no super sampling, don't know how to explain it, i had 1080 with my i7 2600k year ago, could play bf1 on ultra on my 4k screen with 50-60fps no problem. Try some overclocking of your cpu, use manual on youtube, you definetly could do atleast 4,4ghz or more 1.2 voltage is too low i wouldn't use less than 1,35-1,4 to get anywhere near 4,4

I got a bad 4770k, won't overclock past 3.9Ghz without being really unstable.  Don't want to go that high on voltage due to temps going past 85°C whenever I went up that high.

How many players are on the server you got that reading from. also 1.2V is not that much.
You should easily be able to go 1.25V (depending on your cooler ofc) but that should help your FPS.
I have a 1080+ 3770k @4.6GHz and i get about 70-110 in 1440p on rather low settings so this seems a little bit odd to me.
I suggest turning down some settings from max. In a moving image you do not see the difference and there is stuff with a 15% performance hit on ultra compared to 8% on high and it looks barely different. I don't have any examples but i think i saw something when the game was release tested by pcgh.de
Try if that works. If your FPS does not increase that way you are CPU limited and NEED to OC to increase your FPS.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

1 minute ago, USCdeacon said:

I got a bad 4770k, won't overclock past 3.9Ghz without being really unstable.  Don't want to go that high on voltage due to temps going past 85°C whenever I went up that high.

its more cooling problem than cpu itself

2 minutes ago, USCdeacon said:

What cooler do you have? 1.2 is not a high voltage by any means

3.Use

7 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

What cooler do you have? 1.2 is not a high voltage by any means

yeah so I'm wondering if I just have a bad chip that doesn't respond well to the higher voltage?  I know Haswell has a reputation for running hot, but my chip is SO sensitive to any changes from stock. 

CPU cooler is a Noctua U12p SE2 - https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12p-se2, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014

8 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

its more cooling problem than cpu itself

I don't have a bad CPU heatsink/fan from what I can tell :/

----

original post edited with userbenchmark

1 minute ago, USCdeacon said:

yeah so I'm wondering if I just have a bad chip that doesn't respond well to the higher voltage?  I know Haswell has a reputation for running hot, but my chip is SO sensitive to any changes from stock. 

CPU cooler is a Noctua U12p SE2 - https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12p-se2, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014

I don't have a bad CPU heatsink/fan from what I can tell :/

check how it's attached to your cpu, because i can't believe that it runs that hot also besides that try to use DSR and run BF1 on 4k check performance . 

Your CPU is running pretty damn hot if you are getting 85C at stock with an NH-U12S. Sure the 47xx chips were a heat disaster but still... I'd check the cooler for dust and re seat it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Your CPU is running pretty damn hot if you are getting 85C at stock with an NH-U12S. Sure the 47xx chips were a heat disaster but still... I'd check the cooler for dust and re seat it

Only when attempting >1.2volts for an OC.  Otherwise it runs in the 50-60°s when playing BF1 on stock 3.5Ghz turbo boosting to 3.9Ghz.

3 hours ago, Tadziunia said:

check how it's attached to your cpu, because i can't believe that it runs that hot also besides that try to use DSR and run BF1 on 4k check performance . 

here it is running at 4k DSR on Ultra - getting around 50ish fps on average, which is what I expect from my current setup.