Wattage conundrum, will 900Ws do?

DIV1D3

I'm planning on eventually getting 2 R9 290s and I've already bought an Antec HCG-900 for my build. I just would like to know if I'm pushing the envelope too much. 

Thanks if you help. 

Cheers!

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Two 290's under a load pull about 493W.

A 4770k under load pulls about 137W @ base clock

So a 750ish would be fine. Would just an 800 to be in a good spot.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Two 290's under a load pull about 493W.

Factor in your CPU, HDDs and the misc.. You're safe with 750ish.

That makes me so much more happier. I've seen people saying that 1000Ws is the minimum for 2 R9 290s. Would an aftermarket R9 290 draw more power? XFX recommends 750W minimum for one of their non-reference R9 290s. Just one!

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

That makes me so much more happier. I've seen people saying that 1000Ws is the minimum for 2 R9 290s. Would an aftermarket R9 290 draw more power?

Some of them will because of their design. I'd say go for a 850W PSU because having too much wattage isn't bad.

Quote me to get a reply!

That makes me so much more happier. I've seen people saying that 1000Ws is the minimum for 2 R9 290s. Would an aftermarket R9 290 draw more power?

Small difference between the two really.

800W would be my recommendation for the crossfire setup.

So if you've got the 900W, you're good to go.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

That makes me so much more happier. I've seen people saying that 1000Ws is the minimum for 2 R9 290s. Would an aftermarket R9 290 draw more power? XFX recommends 750W minimum for one of their non-reference R9 290s. Just one!

Yes but not much, 750w will do

Some of them will because of their design. I'd say go for a 850W PSU because having too much wattage isn't bad.

I'm getting a 900W PSU, good quality too.

Small difference between the two really.

800W would be my recommendation for the crossfire setup.

So if you've got the 900W, you're good to go.

Nice to know that 900W will suffice.

Yes but not much, 750w will do

Awesome.

What if I want to OC the CPU, it's an i5 4670K. I don't plan on much but without a GPU I might have to.

What if I want to OC the CPU, it's an i5 4670K. I don't plan on much but without a GPU I might have to.

It's about a 40W difference between stock and a decent OC.

130 to 170W.

I'm getting a 900W PSU, good quality too.

Nice to know that 900W will suffice.

Awesome.

What PSU are you going to get?

Quote me to get a reply!

It's about a 40W difference between stock and a decent OC.

130 to 170W.

Aha, good to know there isn't much of a difference.

Antec HCG-900.

Here's the link on PCPartPicker: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vmeX

It says that 700W will do.

Btw, I'm getting the 1TB Barracuda and LP version of the Vengeance, not Pro.

Btw, I'm getting the 1TB Barracuda and LP version of the Vengeance, not Pro.

What have you already bought? We might be able to recommend something better for the price :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

What have you already bought? We might be able to recommend something better for the price :)

Everything has been bought, well obviously not the R9 290/s.

I said what I'm getting in the OP, maybe you should read it again, this time thoroughly.

Use the psu calc in my sig!

Thanks, decided that 900W will suffice even with extreme OCs. With a mild OC of 4GHz it comes in at 712Ws, 900Ws will be more than enough.

Btw, if I am going to OC my 4670K, what clock speed and Vcore should I put it at, will it make a large enough difference in the games like BF4, Ghosts, BOII, Terraria, Starbound and World of Warplanes?

Thanks, decided that 900W will suffice even with extreme OCs. With a mild OC of 4GHz it comes in at 712Ws, 900Ws will be more than enough.

Btw, if I am going to OC my 4670K, what clock speed and Vcore should I put it at, will it make a large enough difference in the games like BF4, Ghosts, BOII, Terraria, Starbound and World of Warplanes?

Oc'ing wouldn't make much of a difference for gaming but you might as well go as high as you can without it getting too hot and stable. Try to stay with 1.3v or less.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Oc'ing wouldn't make much of a difference for gaming but you might as well go as high as you can without it getting to hot and stable. Try to stay with 1.3v or less.

Awesome, thanks.

Awesome, thanks.

If you do buy a PSU try to find one that is either silent/doesn't ramp up the fan speed until its a 40%. Its one less fan noise to worry about

If you do buy a PSU try to find one that is either silent/doesn't ramp up the fan speed until its a 40%. Its one less fan noise to worry about

Did you read anything? I have already bought everything except for the R9 290, *facepalm*.

Did you read anything? I have already bought everything except for the R9 290, *facepalm*.

Yeah just after reading the whole thread i forgot that fact :-S

That 900w is a great unit. All PSU calculators i have seen do not take into account GPU overclocking.

The 900w will give you some headroom too.

People underestimate how much wattage increases with heavy overclocking.

This is true, I bet that with enough interest they might add it. You should be able to find power draw of a gpu when overclocked though, you could just use the max it can possibly pull via its connections if you really want to be overly safe.

I would love to get an Australian kill a watt that doesn't cost 3 digits.

But, there is a line between headroom and overkill.

You could firgure it out from in depth review very likely, no need to go that far.

Yeah, I suppose so. Just if I was studying others benchmarks. I'd rather do it myself, that why I know for sure.

buy you said you couldnt afford that...

Yeah just after reading the whole thread i forgot that fact :-S

Lol, np.