Is vs650 good for my next build?

Buc221

So in october im building a new pc. Im pretty set for all the components but the power supply. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Corsair vs650 650w psu be enough for my build.

Specs: Amd Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 Tomahawk

XFX GTS Rx 580 8gb XXX edition

Patriot Signature 2400mhz 2x4gb DDR4 

Western Digital Green SSD 240gb

Seagate Barracuda Guardian 1tb 7.2k RPM HDD

I'm going to use the PC mostly for gaming in 1080p at hopefully ultra or high settings, most likely won't overclock any of the components.

I just need to make sure the PSU will be good enough and that it won't bottleneck anything.

1 minute ago, Buc221 said:

So in october im building a new pc. Im pretty set for all the components but the power supply. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Corsair vs650 650w psu be enough for my build.

Specs: Amd Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 Tomahawk

XFX GTS Rx 580 8gb XXX edition

Patriot Signature 2400mhz 2x4gb DDR4 

Western Digital Green SSD 240gb

Seagate Barracuda Guardian 1tb 7.2k RPM HDD

I'm going to use the PC mostly for gaming in 1080p at hopefully ultra or high settings, most likely won't overclock any of the components.

I just need to make sure the PSU will be good enough and that it won't bottleneck anything.

No, the Corsair CX450M is a much better choice. The VS is for dGPU-less systems. Them offering a 650W variant makes zero sense. Your system will use about 200W without OC and maybe 300W with it, so you're fine on the CX450.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just go with a CX M

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

I think psus don't bottleneck they just can cause the death of your components or even burn your house down which is even worse. Bottlenecking is bullshit, people overestimate it way too much.

anyway back to the point, the old orange label vs series is garbage and the new gray label vs series is group regulated so I wouldn't touch it not in 1st world countries

So will a CX650M be good enough?

Yes, but GET THE 450W VERSION

You truly do not need anywhere near 650W.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yes, but GET THE 450W VERSION

You truly do not need anywhere near 650W.

The problem is here in Croatia there is nothing less than 650w from the CX series. Atleast not in the store where i'm building my pc

The problem is here in Croatia there is nothing less than 650w from the CX series. Atleast not in the store where i'm building my pc

Ah

Well then get the extra 200W, go for it.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:12 AM, Buc221 said:

Croatia?

see if you can get the bitfenix formula or corsair vengeance

On 9/21/2018 at 11:03 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Them offering a 650W variant makes zero sense. Your system will use about 200W without OC and maybe 300W with it, so you're fine on the CX450.

they offer high power versions bc remember people just care about wattage

also an rtx 2080 ti alone pulls like 300w isn't it (obviously that is not meant to be used with a vs psu)

2 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Croatia?

see if you can get the bitfenix formula or corsair vengeance

they have got nothing from bitfenix, and from corsair they have the VS, CX ,TX, SF, RM, HX and AX series. I just saw the Enthusiast Series TX550 that has a 80+ gold rating, is that any better?

8 hours ago, Buc221 said:

they have got nothing from bitfenix, and from corsair they have the VS, CX ,TX, SF, RM, HX and AX series. I just saw the Enthusiast Series TX550 that has a 80+ gold rating, is that any better?

enthusiast with an 80+ gold rating? there are only 80+ bronze models IIRC

and those aren't that good for today's standards

17 hours ago, Buc221 said:

So will a CX650M be good enough?

If you have enough money for a 650W, you can get a Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, Cougar GX-F, be quiet Straight Power 11, 450 or 550W and don't need to stick with shittier 650W units.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 hours ago, 17030644 said:

enthusiast with an 80+ gold rating? there are only 80+ bronze models IIRC

and those aren't that good for today's standards

Then you don't remember correctly.

The TX-M is a really good PSU.

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If you have enough money for a 650W, you can get a Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, Cougar GX-F, be quiet Straight Power 11, 450 or 550W and don't need to stick with shittier 650W units.

He's already been told that, but he can't find good lower wattage PSUs in his area.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Then you don't remember correctly.

The TX-M is a really good PSU.

AFAIK only the old TX's were referred to as "Enthusiast" , the newer ones have no such branding.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

42 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

AFAIK only the old TX's were referred to as "Enthusiast" , the newer ones have no such branding.

True.  All those descriptors were dropped recently.  But OP said "with 80 PLUS Gold efficiency" which makes it pretty obvious which one he's talking about.

It's like "Genesis with the 5.0L", which would be the sedan and not the coupe, though I wish the coupe came with the 5.0L as well.  ;)

3 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

Yeah that's exacly what I mean, the new ones are no longer called enthusiast

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Hey, I have a question people over youtube say you should buy bigger PSU because PSUs deliever less power over time?

I don't trust them, that's why I am asking you

19 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Hey, I have a question

people over youtube say you should buy bigger PSU because PSUs deliever less power over time?

I don't trust them, that's why I am asking you

That's bullshit.

A good quality PSU should be able to put out 100% of it's capability for at least the duration of its warranty as long as it's operated within it's rated temperature range.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's bullshit.

A good quality PSU should be able to put out 100% of it's capability for at least the duration of its warranty as long as it's operated within it's rated temperature range.

That's the answer I wanted thanks

People mention some capacitor aging stuff that sound weird to me

What shuts down, continuous load or transients (peak power)?

23 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

What shuts down, continuous load or transients (peak power)?

If your load is within the PSU's capability, no continuous load should cause a shut down as long as it's within operating temperature range (i.e. under 50°C).  

Transient spikes, however, frequently shut down even the best PSUs.  These spikes can't be captured with a Kill-A-Watt or software.  You need a scope with a clamp to catch them.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

If your load is within the PSU's capability, no continuous load should cause a shut down as long as it's within operating temperature range (i.e. under 50°C).  

Transient spikes, however, frequently shut down even the best PSUs.  These spikes can't be captured with a Kill-A-Watt or software.  You need a scope with a clamp to catch them.

That's what I thought, kill-a-watts can't catch those spikes.

Then why do people say use a kill-a-watt to figure out how much you need

1 hour ago, 17030644 said:

That's what I thought, kill-a-watts can't catch those spikes.

Then why do people say use a kill-a-watt to figure out how much you need

It gives you a starting point.  If you have a high end card that tends to exhibit transient spikes (typically only the higher end cards like Vega 64 and 1080 Ti.  Not sure about the RTX 2080 yet), then just add another 100~150W to the measurement.

Honestly, it doesn't "hurt" to have a larger PSU than necessary, so I don't know why everyone is so up in arms about "OMG!  Don't get a 550W!  All you need is a 350W!!!!"; especially when better quality PSUs don't tend to come in lower wattage variants.

21 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It gives you a starting point.  If you have a high end card that tends to exhibit transient spikes (typically only the higher end cards like Vega 64 and 1080 Ti.  Not sure about the RTX 2080 yet), then just add another 100~150W to the measurement.

Honestly, it doesn't "hurt" to have a larger PSU than necessary, so I don't know why everyone is so up in arms about "OMG!  Don't get a 550W!  All you need is a 350W!!!!"; especially when better quality PSUs don't tend to come in lower wattage variants.

Yup sounds very reasonable, like you said there aren't good PSUs under 400W and mostly there is a $5-10 dollar extra for every 100W jump so I don't see it as a severe waste of money.

On 23.9.2018 at 12:32 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah, sadly there are almost no 400W PSUs in good quality and even 450W are rare. Right out of my head, I can think of 3 good 450W: be quiet Straight Power E11, Bitfenix Formula and Whisper M.

All others start at 550W (Cougar GX-F for example, Xilence Performance X)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"