Which is more important? Anti-static wrist strap or anti-static mat?

It is my first time building a pc, I can only buy one of this because of the fixed budget. I wonder if what is more important, anti-static wrist strap or anti-static mat? Linus often use or recommend using the motherboard box for placing all of the components, can I also use it as an alternative for anti-static mat?

you'll be fine without either. just touch something metal before you start to discharge any static you might have

don't wear fuzzy socks while you build

assemble the motherboard on top of the box it came in

The risk of causing damage to your components through static discharge is incredibly low. They're more practical for people who spend all day working on building/fixing PCs, but for building a single computer once off the risk is incredibly minimal so they're often not worth the cost.

If you're on a budget then don't buy either. Just occasionally touch a metal object (such as the PC case) to ground yourself and discharge any static that you may have built up.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Most important thing is common sense.

(even if it isn't that common)

And thinking at least twice before doing anything when you're new to building PC.

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The risk of causing damage to your components through static discharge is incredibly low.

Depends entirely on environment and climate.

I can guarantee there are places when ESD zapping stuff would be as easy as sitting into chair and touching exposed circuitry.

On 21/09/2018 at 7:08 PM, EsaT said:

Most important thing is common sense.

(even if it isn't that common)

And thinking at least twice before doing anything when you're new to building PC.

Depends entirely on environment and climate.

I can guarantee there are places when ESD zapping stuff would be as easy as sitting into chair and touching exposed circuitry.

I live in Dubai it's we very hot and hi mid here

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

mσthєrвσαrd     αsrσck z370 kíllєr slí/αc

???     ??????? ????????? ??? ???? ?????? ???    

???? ??????? ??? ???? ?? ?????? ???

????     ???????? ??????? ?????

???????  ?? ????? ??? ??? ??? ?.? ?????? ????????? ???

PSU     Rosewill CAPSTONE 550M

D҉i҉s҉p҉l҉a҉y҉(s҉)     B҉e҉n҉Q҉ V҉A҉ L҉E҉D҉ E҉y҉e҉-c҉a҉r҉e҉ M҉o҉n҉i҉t҉o҉r҉ 2҉2҉ I҉n҉c҉h҉

ᶜᴼᴼᴸᴵᴺᴳ     ᶜᴼᴼᴸᴱᴿ ᴹᴬˢᵀᴱᴿ ᴹᴬˢᵀᴱᴿᴸᴵᵟᵁᴵᴰ ᴸᴵᵀᴱ 120 ᴬᴵᴼ

κεψß⊕αrd     gεηεrïς uηηαmεd ςhεrrψ mx ßレuε ƒακε mεςhαηïςαレ κεψß⊕αrd

MƠƲƧЄ     ƦƛȤЄƦ ƇӇƦƠMƛ ƊЄƛƬӇƛƊƊЄƦ ЄԼƖƬЄ 2017

ѕoυɴd     eѕтoɴe вeѕт coмpυтer ɢαмιɴɢ нeαdѕeт нeαdвαɴd wιтн мιcropнoɴe мιc хιвerια v10 нeαvy вαѕѕ ѕтereo ɢαмe нeαdpнoɴe wιтн lιɢнт ғor pc ɢαмer

ФPΞЯДΓIИG SУSΓΞM     ЩIИDФЩS 10 БЯФ