Why don't they tell you what power connectors a graphics card has?

1 minute ago, xentropa said:

If a video card could overload the rails, knowing what power adapter it needs won't help.

OK let's say you get an 8 pin graphics card. Your power supply has a 6 pin power connector. Since that won't work you use an 8 pin to molex. Now you're putting a big load on those 12v rails which aren't meant to handle it. See what the issue is?

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Or this monstrosity

Spoiler

5-1-devil-13.jpg

Good lord... IMO that cooler seems quite insufficient to dissipate 600W

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

In the legal disclaimer?? Who would look there? It's a spec

You said its not listed anywhere, I proved you wrong.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I have an idea, can you show me any modern card on any website that doesn't tell you what power connectors it needs and I will go from there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZYPEHK/

(does have a link to spec sheet, but that wont always be there)

23 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZYPEHK/

(does have a link to spec sheet, but that wont always be there)

Check here

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-6GT-OCV1/Specification

Looks like it requires one 6 pin for supplemental power.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Yes. I'm not saying it's impossible to find, but often it's unnecessarily difficult. It does sometimes feel like they try to hide the information.

I don't really like going by Amazon's descriptions or specs anyway. If you're lucky, the specs and description can be correct but vague...if you aren't, they can be wrong. Especially in the market place. It is just a big cut and paste fest the seller may not know the difference between the MSI 1060 Gaming 6G and an MSI 1060 Gaming X 6G as an example (not saying there is a listing, just saying it might happen). That's why I generally find what I want on the manufacturer websites then search Amazon by part number.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

I don't really like going by Amazon's descriptions or specs anyway. If you're lucky, the specs and description can be correct but vague...if you aren't, they can be wrong. Especially in the market place. It is just a big cut and paste fest the seller may not know the difference between the MSI 1060 Gaming 6G and an MSI 1060 Gaming X 6G as an example (not saying there is a listing, just saying it might happen). That's why I generally find what I want on the manufacturer websites then search Amazon by part number.

Another issue with Amazon now is that they group multiple products into one listing, so the questions and answers aren't specific to any product. So you can ask what connector a card has, and someone will answer, but that guy bought a different unit from the one you're asking about. It also makes the reviews totally useless

23 hours ago, thejackalope said:

Right. That's exactly what they don't tell you. Is it 6 pin? Is it 8 pin? Is it NONE? 

Because your PSU usually comes with enough PCIE cables and cables that are 6+2, so they will fit either slot. If you cannot properly (so no dodgy molex adapter stuff) connect the GPU to your PSU, you probably shouldn't be using that power supply with that graphics card in the first place.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Because your PSU usually comes with enough PCIE cables and cables that are 6+2, so they will fit either slot. If you cannot properly (so no dodgy molex adapter stuff) connect the GPU to your PSU, you probably shouldn't be using that power supply with that graphics card in the first place.

If you build your own PC yes. But many of us have pre built workstation computers including pretty much every business

5 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

If you build your own PC yes. But many of us have pre built workstation computers including pretty much every business

In my experience those things either have/had proprietary connectors anyway and aren't really geared towards taking a big high-end power hungry GPU in the first place.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 minutes ago, tikker said:

In my experience those things either have/had proprietary connectors anyway and aren't really geared towards taking a big high-end power hungry GPU in the first place.

Exactly, usually you get a 6 pin connector. That's why you need to know what the card has

2 hours ago, thejackalope said:

Exactly, usually you get a 6 pin connector. That's why you need to know what the card has

So look at the picture or go to the manufacturer's website. I don't know about Amazon and the likes, but Nvidia, Asus, Gigabyte and probably others all have this listed in the spec sheet on their product pages.

People also have made a valid point already about power consumption over PCIe, 6 pin and 8 pin, but you'd have to know about that.