Why don't they tell you what power connectors a graphics card has?

Over the last couple years I've shopped for graphics cards 3 times. Every time I've had trouble finding what power connector a given card has. The listings on retail stores like Amazon don't say, and usually the manufacturer websites don't say, and the product photos don't show. So you end up having to find threads on forums where other people have the same question. 

It seems like a very basic spec, even more crucial than video output ports. Why would that not be listed?

the manufacturers will state the power connectors needed, and even if you can't find them just google the exact model and find pictures of the side of the GPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I shop for new GPUs at least few times a year, never had an issue with finding right amount of power connectors. Amazon usually got pictures of the card showing the amount of power connectors needed. As a safe measure, I go  YouTube and search for unboxing of the card that I want to buy. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

They do tend to make it a little difficult to find. Maybe they're scared of losing sales when people don't have the necessary power connectors available, or of just causing confusion when people don't know what power connectors their PSU offers.

I think all GPUs use the same power connector.  It's either a 6 pin, 8 pin or both.  

7 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the manufacturers will state the power connectors needed, and even if you can't find them just google the exact model and find pictures of the side of the GPU.

Often you can't find a picture of the side with the connectors, especially for models that are less common

3 minutes ago, xentropa said:

I think all GPUs use the same power connector.  It's either a 6 pin, 8 pin or both.  

Right. That's exactly what they don't tell you. Is it 6 pin? Is it 8 pin? Is it NONE? 

11 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I shop for new GPUs at least few times a year, never had an issue with finding right amount of power connectors. Amazon usually got pictures of the card showing the amount of power connectors needed. As a safe measure, I go  YouTube and search for unboxing of the card that I want to buy. 

OK so what if Amazon doesn't have a picture of the side? What if the connector is on the rear of the card?

What if there's no unboxing video?

This is really basic information. It should be readily available!

2 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

Right. That's exactly what they don't tell you. Is it 6 pin? Is it 8 pin? Is it NONE? 

The voltage pins on the pcie bus is only capable of 75 Watts.  So if a graphic card is more than 75 Watts, it will most likely use a 6 or 8 pin connector.  I am pretty sure all PSUs should have at least one or the other.  Otherwise, a graphic card should come with some kind of an adapter.

4 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

OK so what if Amazon doesn't have a picture of the side? What if the connector is on the rear of the card?

What if there's no unboxing video?

This is really basic information. It should be readily available!

In my 8 years of PC building I never had this issue.

Maybe if you're buying some really sketchy Chinese card you might run into some problems.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

In my 8 years of PC building I never had this issue.

Same here.  Since building my Pentium 3 and Geforce 2, I can't say I ever came a cross a situation where I couldn't find a compatible power adapter for a video card.

2 minutes ago, xentropa said:

The voltage pins on the pcie bus is only capable of 75 Watts.  So if a graphic card is more than 75 Watts, it will most likely use a 6 or 8 pin connector.  I am pretty sure all PSUs should have at least one or the other.  Otherwise, a graphic card should come with some kind of an adapter.

Well some power supplies have a 6 pin, some have an 8 pin, some have both. I've never bought a graphics card that had any adapter except to 4 pin molex which is pretty sketchy.

I currently have an HP Z220 workstation that only has a 6 pin, so that limits what graphics cards I can use.

I also have a Dell T5820 that has zero GPU cables even though the PSU has plugs, and Dell doesn't sell the cables, so that limits me to graphics cards with no connector.

Easy right? Just get one below 75W? Nope. Some low power cards still have a jack. 

Just now, xentropa said:

Same here.  Since building my Pentium 3 and Geforce 2, I can't say I ever came a cross a situation where I couldn't find a compatible power adapter for a video card.

I think you're missing something here. Just because an adapter exists doesn't mean you should use one. Yes you can use an adapter for Molex to 8 pin. Or 6 pin to 8 pin. And possibly overload those rails. 

Just now, thejackalope said:

I think you're missing something here. Just because an adapter exists doesn't mean you should use one. Yes you can use an adapter for Molex to 8 pin. Or 6 pin to 8 pin. And possibly overload those rails. 

I have an idea, can you show me any modern card on any website that doesn't tell you what power connectors it needs and I will go from there.

I don't understand the attitude "I've never had a problem". 

By that same token I could say "I've never had a problem connecting monitors to my graphics cards therefore manufacturers should not tell you what video ports a card has". Why the opposition to clearly and plainly providing information to the consumer?

Just now, thejackalope said:

I don't understand the attitude "I've never had a problem". 

By that same token I could say "I've never had a problem connecting monitors to my graphics cards therefore manufacturers should not tell you what video ports a card has". Why the opposition to clearly and plainly providing information to the consumer?

It means that maybe, just MAYBE you weren't looking hard enough.

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I have an idea, can you show me any modern card on any website that doesn't tell you what power connectors it needs and I will go from there.

Here are two examples of graphics cards currently for sale on my local Craigslist that I can't find what power inputs are needed

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131719

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GIGABYTE-Graphic-GV-RX560GAMING-OC-4GD/dp/B071F1CR3X

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

It means that maybe, just MAYBE you weren't looking hard enough.

So you think it's good that it's difficult to find information? You don't think manufacturers or retailers should present information readily? Wow. That's quite an attitude you have. Forget user experience right? 

5 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

Here are two examples of graphics cards currently for sale on my local Craigslist that I can't find what power inputs are needed

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131719

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GIGABYTE-Graphic-GV-RX560GAMING-OC-4GD/dp/B071F1CR3X

1st one picture was there, 2nd one, just need to scroll down into the questions, answer is there, hard right? Took me whole 60 seconds to find both.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

5 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

1st one picture was there, 2nd one, just need to scroll down into the questions, answer is there, hard right? Took me whole 60 seconds to find both.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

I missed that picture, sorry.

Now look at the Amazon listing. The fact someone had to ask and then rely on an answer from another customer is ridiculous.  And the answers are wrong. Molex to 6 or 8 pin is not always safe, it depends totally on which PSU you have. And it's not a 6+2 pin.

It would have taken zero effort for the listing to include "6 pin PCIE power connector" just like it lists DVI/HDMI/Displayport and all the other stuff

3 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

I missed that picture, sorry.

Now look at the Amazon listing. The fact someone had to ask and then rely on an answer from another customer is ridiculous. 

I'm actually retarded, it was listed on the 2nd one too :P

Untitled.png

I never really thought about this. Card manufacturers will usually list a recommended PSU, maybe they assume that PSU will have the proper connections?

The rule I go by is if it requires supplementary power it will likely use 6-8 pin connectors. Depending on the power requirement will determine what power connections it will need.

• PCI express slot can provide 75W
  • 6 pin supplementary power connection can provide 75W
  • 8 pin supplementary power connection can provide 150W

Usually cards require either a 6 pin or 8 pin but of course there are exceptions...such as if they're very high power consumption cards (like a TItan XP or MSI GTX480 lightning) they could require multiple of one or the other or (in the titan's case) one of each...which research is definitely recommended if the manufacturer site doesn't say.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I never really thought about this. Card manufacturers will usually list a recommended PSU, maybe they assume that PSU will have the proper connections?

The rule I go by is if it requires supplementary power it will likely use 6-8 pin connectors. Depending on the power requirement will determine what power connections it will need.

• PCI express slot can provide 75W
  • 6 pin supplementary power connection can provide 75W
  • 8 pin supplementary power connection can provide 150W

Usually cards require either a 6 pin or 8 pin but of course there are exceptions...such as if they're very high power consumption cards (like a TItan XP or MSI GTX480 lightning) they could require multiple of one or the other or (in the titan's case) one of each...which research is definitely recommended if the manufacturer site doesn't say.

Or this monstrosity

5-1-devil-13.jpg

16 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

If a video card could overload the rails, knowing what power adapter it needs won't help.

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I'm actually retarded, it was listed on the 2nd one too :P

Untitled.png

In the legal disclaimer?? Who would look there? It's a spec