Dead Rising no more? Capcom closes Capcom Vancouver

WMGroomAK

In sad news for fans of the Dead Rising Series, it appears that the Dead Rising franchise may be dead for a while as Capcom has decided to close the Capcom Vancouver office (formerly Blue Castle Games).  Capcom has officially stated that they are cancelling development of projects in Vancouver and concentrating on major titles in Japan.  Not really much to say or in the article, but kind of sad that they are closing shop...  Would be nice if the 158 people (or at least some of them) could pool together resources and reopen Blue Castle Games or a new studio.  

https://vancouversun.com/technology/gaming/gaming-giant-capcom-shutters-its-burnaby-studio

Japanese video game giant Capcom closed its Burnaby studio Tuesday, leaving 158 people out of work.

The studio, which first opened in 2005 as Blue Castle Games before being purchased by Capcom in 2011, was responsible for producing the popular Dead Rising franchise and the free-to-play Puzzle Fighter.

Operations at Capcom Vancouver are being suspended immediately and projects are being moved to Japan, the company says.

“Capcom has been focused on increasing the efficiency and growth of its game development operations. To support this objective, new R&D facilities and annual hiring have been underway at the Osaka headquarters,” Capcom said in a statement.

“In consideration of this process, as a result of reviewing titles in development at Capcom Vancouver, Capcom has decided to cancel the development projects at this studio and will concentrate development of major titles in Japan.

“As part of this overall direction, the Capcom Vancouver studio will suspend operations, effective today, so the current staff will be laid off and the office will be closed.”

In February, Capcom cut 30 per cent of its Burnaby staff as part of a “restructuring.”

The company says laid-off staff will receive severance packages

Maybe he can just move a few blocks over to EA Burnaby HAHAHAHAAA. no. Back on topic, it looks like even their website has already been changed to redirect to the Japan page. Wow, they work fast. It's cold. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Better than pulling a Sears move of not giving out packages. Dead Rising is definitely one of those games to just relax and run around, not necessarily doing something productive.

never played it, won't miss it 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

They said they were moving the current projects so if they were working on something then it might still come to be

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

this guys can form a new studio. Make a clone of dead rising. Be creative.

I'm glad Capcom wants to focus on Japan homemade games, i like them, i wish there were more. A million other companies in the west can clone Dead Rising.

As a general rule I'm not a huge fan of anything Capcom ever made.

Megaman 1, 2 & 3 were great and obviously i spent thousands of hours playing SF2 over the years but asides from that I can honestly say I've never been captivated by anything they've made.

Oh shit, I almost forgot Resident Evil. The early RE games (upto 4) were great and I have to admit I fully enjoyed RE 7 too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

33 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

As a general rule I'm not a huge fan of anything Capcom ever made.

Megaman 1, 2 & 3 were great and obviously i spent thousands of hours playing SF2 over the years but asides from that I can honestly say I've never been captivated by anything they've made.

Oh shit, I almost forgot Resident Evil. The early RE games (upto 4) were great and I have to admit I fully enjoyed RE 7 too.

Devil May Cry? :'( 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

13 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Devil May Cry? :'( 

Nope, my best friend loves DMC, I've played them all and didn't really care for any of them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)