cpu 2, core 3 heating up 50 degrees f more than the other 7 cores

i have a potentially very bad problem.. especially how i am on an EXTREMELY limited budget and had to literally sacrifice eating good this month in order to get this computer up and running to a level i am proud of.. i have absolutely no idea whats going on or why its doing this, or if its normal, or if my computer is gonna crash any second...

long story short, core 3 on my second cpu is usually around 50 degrees hotter than any other core on either cpu.. core 3 on cpu 0 is normal and within a single digit difference of cores 1,2,4.. ONLY cpu 1, core 3 is doing this.. ive read around and some people say its normal, but i dont believe that to be the case.. High temps are very bad for any electronic. and maybe a difference in temperature <10 degrees f could be normal... but definitely not 50....

i have gamed on max graphics for 12+ straight hours on this computer and it didnt so much as break a sweat, but im worried that the high temps is gonna significantly lower the lifespan of that cpu.. and i did already have one random crash.. i ran avasts cleanup where it deletes broken registry items and all that, then i defragged and did a disk cleanup, and restarted, and on the logon screen it gave me a split second bsod and restarted itself twice.. and it has not done it before or since.. im hoping that was just software related. i doubt that had anything to do with the cpu..

anyone ever seen this before?

win10 pro

Dual quad core Xeon X5450 cpu's 3ghz

32gb ecc ram

idk what other info youd need to know to give it a guess, but whatever you need, just ask and ill provide..

im not all that computer illiterate, ive built a million pc's in my day and have been fairly heavy into windows based computer related stuff for decades (im 32 Y/O) but im definitely not God of all computer knowledge, and whatever is going on is clearly out of my knowledge base..

any help would be greatly appreciated..5ba094c28c171_Speccy9_18_20182_00_39AM.png.650f071b8d78e5e8ecfbe91b97871620.png

edit:

im pretty sure it ALWAYS says its at 150 degrees.... i dont think ive ever seen it say any more or any less.....

does that mean speccy only can read up to 150 degrees and my cpu instantly heats up to more than that? or does that mean that cores thermal monitering is broke in some way???

that screen shot was taken at pretty much idle.. i did just get done gaming probably a half hour before that, and all im doing is sitting on this website typing this..

those temp readings might not be accurate, if it works and whole cpu is cool  I wouldn't bother, you migh delid it and reapply the paste, as it is a bit old cpu

it appears to be reading in farhenheit. therefore 150*F is only about 65*C which is way below the TjMAX of about 105*C

if it reaches 195-200*F in a stresstest as Prime 95 you should be worried. otherwise you are good

Just now, wojtepanik said:

those temp readings might not be accurate, if it works and whole cpu is cool  I wouldn't bother, you migh delid it and reapply the paste, as it is a bit old cpu

the whole cpu temp on the one cpu is around 100 degrees and its 120 degrees on the one with the hot core. i have no refrence point to know if thats okay or too hot..

and yeah, its definitely an older cpu. but its the max power i could get for what i could afford.. having 8 3ghz cores is never a bad thing. lol.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Switch to Celsius. Those aren't terrible temps.

im in Rochester NY, i only know ferhenheit. it was in celcius when i downloaded it, i had to switch it to ferhenheit.

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

the whole cpu temp on the one cpu is around 100 degrees and its 120 degrees on the one with the hot core. i have no refrence point to know if thats okay or too hot..

and yeah, its definitely an older cpu. but its the max power i could get for what i could afford.. having 8 3ghz cores is never a bad thing. lol.

switch the measuring software to use Celcius as it paint a much better picture as it is the go to metric in PC

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Switch to Celsius. Those aren't terrible temps.

150 degrees isnt a terrible temp for basically idle? i assumed because the number was in orange it was approaching a dangerous level

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

im in Rochester NY, i only know ferhenheit. it was in celcius when i downloaded it, i had to switch it to ferhenheit.

celcius is very easy in PC context

anything below 100*C and you are "good". anything below 90*C is what most recommend staying below.

learn metric. it will pay itself off

this was after only a couple minutes of stress testing.. i turned it off when it hit 177 degrees5ba09d302c568_Speccy9_18_20182_35_17AM.png.a0c9c5283ac57229a7fda9dbc14377cb.png

9 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

It's not telling you the weather. I'm not saying you have to use celcius in your daily life. However, all PC measurements are in Celcius. Just because it's too hot for a human to be comfortable doesn't mean the electronics are too hot.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

and that cpu is now way hotter than the other one.. ALL the cores are hotter than ALL the cores of the other cpu.. im gonna try to reseat the heatsink and apply new paste.. maybe i put that one on crooked or something? or didnt put on enough thermal paste? its cooling down way slower than the other cpu.. 

i assume because that one is listed second that it is "cpu 1", ? (cpu 2)

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

and that cpu is now way hotter than the other one.. ALL the cores are hotter than ALL the cores of the other cpu.. im gonna try to reseat the heatsink and apply new paste.. maybe i put that one on crooked or something? or didnt put on enough thermal paste? its cooling down way slower than the other cpu.. 

i assume because that one is listed second that it is "cpu 1", ? (cpu 2)

1) STOP GIVING VALUES IN FAHRENHEIT.

2) Your CPU isn't hot. We've told you that several times. Those are normal temperatures.

3) It's called a stress test for a reason. It pushes everything to the limit.

4) Cores will almost always be different temperatures.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's not telling you the weather. I'm not saying you have to use celcius in your daily life. However, all PC measurements are in Celcius. Just because it's too hot for a human to be comfortable doesn't mean the electronics are too hot.

lol. well thank you for clarifying that you werent telling me the weather, i got confused for a second and had to double check out the window.. lol. jk..

yeah, i know its the universal standard, i just put it in ferhenheit because i know what those numbers mean.. if my computer tells me my cpu is 100 degrees c its not gonna sound as bad in my head as as 212 degrees ferhenheit...

when i have the option, i like to see both side by side, like in cpu-z.. im trying to get my mind to recognize celcius accurately..

3 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

yeah, i know its the universal standard, i just put it in ferhenheit because i know what those numbers mean

You know what they mean to a human body. Not what they mean to a computer.

17 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

lol. well thank you for clarifying that you werent telling me the weather, i got confused for a second and had to double check out the window.. lol. jk..

yeah, i know its the universal standard, i just put it in ferhenheit because i know what those numbers mean.. if my computer tells me my cpu is 100 degrees c its not gonna sound as bad in my head as as 212 degrees ferhenheit...

when i have the option, i like to see both side by side, like in cpu-z.. im trying to get my mind to recognize celcius accurately..

Celsius is super convenient as a scale for just PCs, even if you use Fahrenheit. 100 degrees is no no, 90 degrees can be bad, 80 and below is good. It sets up a nice scale.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

28 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

this was after only a couple minutes of stress testing.. i turned it off when it hit 177 degrees

177*F is still way below the max temp of 212ish*F. use Celcius. 

keep the stresstest running for a longer time. wait for the temp to stabelize. if it gets to hot the PC will throttle itself.