Overwatch on 5400rpm HDD, how is it?

Yugen

I'm planning on installing overwatch in my WD 2tb blue 5400rpm. I have to give some space for FF XV and autodesk apps in my 250gb ssd so I can't install it there. How good do you think OW will run in my hdd?

Reconciling Physics and Poetry

5400RPM HDDs as a whole aren't fun.

OW might be fine, given it's an online game and shouldn't have to load as much from the drive.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Yugen said:

I'm planning on installing overwatch in my WD 2tb blue 5400rpm. I have to give some space for FF XV and autodesk apps in my 250gb ssd so I can't install it there. How good do you think OW will run in my hdd?

Overwatch will run, however, you may experience character models and maps taking forever to load in upon initial launch. This happens to a friend I play comp with, where the first few matches we play have to be Quick Play or Arcades because their character models don't load in for the first 5-10 minutes on their laptop, which uses a 5400rpm drive.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

28 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Overwatch will run, however, you may experience character models and maps taking forever to load in upon initial launch. This happens to a friend I play comp with, where the first few matches we play have to be Quick Play or Arcades because their character models don't load in for the first 5-10 minutes on their laptop, which uses a 5400rpm drive.

As much as I want to buy another ssd dedicated for games, I just think it's not gonna be practical unless it's a 1tb+ since the AAA games consumes 70+ gb, which doing so would cut a big hole in my pocket. Do you think buying a 7200 rpm hdd would at least be viable?

Reconciling Physics and Poetry

8 minutes ago, Yugen said:

As much as I want to buy another ssd dedicated for games, I just think it's not gonna be practical unless it's a 1tb+ since the AAA games consumes 70+ gb, which doing so would cut a big hole in my pocket. Do you think buying a 7200 rpm hdd would at least be viable?

A 7200rpm drive would be a small upgrade, sure, but honestly I'd save the $40-$60 you'd spend on one and put it toward a larger 500GB SSD, especially since you can get a 500GB or 1TB Crucial MX500 for super inexpensive now from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-1TB-NAND-Internal/dp/B077SF8KMG/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

5400RPM HDDs as a whole aren't fun.

HDD in General aren't much fun

But it also depends on the 5400rpm HDD. There are ones that are worse than others.

Anyway, it is possible, but you could expect a couple of seconds worse loading times.

39 minutes ago, Yugen said:

500GB are like 90€ or so, I paid 189€ for my Samsung 850 EVO (wich was mostly used as a PS4 Drive for reasons)...

And I don't really believe a 7200rpm HDD will be that much better.

You have two disadvantages with that:
a) higher noise
b) higher failure rate.

So its either a SSD or nothing really.

My recommendation:
Just get a 500GB SSD, keep your HDD (or replace it with a 4TB Model) and copy the game you want to play to the SSD when you want to play it.

With Steam you can just do that.

You just have to copy the appmanifest*.acf that belongs to your game to the Folder on the SSD.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Yugen said:

A good quality 7200rpm drive will be fine. I had Overwatch on WD Black for few months before getting 500gb ssd for software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You do the opposite of what I do. I put multi-player games on my SSDs and single player games on my HDDs. Single player games are much larger so I'm not sure why you put them on your SSD, even if it's too alleviate loading times. Seems like this is an easy fix. Move FF15 to your HDD

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

HDD in General aren't much fun

But it also depends on the 5400rpm HDD. There are ones that are worse than others.

Sure, but 7200RPM drives are much faster than 5400RPM.

They may not be SSD tier levels of performance, but it's still true.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Honestly, for the majority of games, a 7200rpm hard drive is enough to keep stuttering at bay.

Unless it's Team Fortress 2. For some reason it sucks ass at loading even on an SSD.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Honestly, for the majority of games, a 7200rpm hard drive is enough to keep stuttering at bay.

Unless it's Team Fortress 2. For some reason it sucks ass at loading even on an SSD.

Agreed. I've only ever used 7200RPM drives.

My brother constantly complains about his laptop being slow, turns out it's the 5400RPM drive he's got in it. I'll probably wait for it to either fill up or die, and then upgrade him to at least a 7200RPM.

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Agreed. I've only ever used 7200RPM drives.

My brother constantly complains about his laptop being slow, turns out it's the 5400RPM drive he's got in it. I'll probably wait for it to either fill up or die, and then upgrade him to at least a 7200RPM.

I need to get a 7200rpm drive that isn't from 2007; I'm rocking a mediocre 750GB laptop drive from 2013 and man, it's slow as hell. Could really use a 2TB 7200rpm drive right now.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I need to get a 7200rpm drive that isn't from 2007; I'm rocking a mediocre 750GB laptop drive from 2013 and man, it's slow as hell. Could really use a 2TB 7200rpm drive right now.

I've got a Barracuda 1TB in my desktop, and a 750GB in my Sandy Bridge-based laptop.

To be fair though, my laptop drive is holding up pretty well.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on what you are comparing and how. 

While the 7200rpm drives in general have better access times, I'd not say that they are in general faster.

Thing is with newer, denser Drives you have higher transferrates...

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That wasn't my argument ;)
It was that not all 5400rpm drives are equally bad.

Some are reasonable, while others are really just crap and slow.

So in the End I doubt that my new 4TB Seagate (or one of the Hitachi 5900rpm ones) will be slower than one of the 7200rpm/1TB Samsung Drives I have here.

Because of the Density, transferrate and so on...

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Laptop, 2,5" Drives

That was what I was thinking on ;)
3,5" Drives usually are much faster than the 2,5" Laptop drives.

Even 7200rpm doesn't help much (and are only available up to 1TB), a desktop drive, when possible, is better and faster...

But it also depends on the AAM Settings of the drive, if its optimized more for quiet operation or performance and so on...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I was running overwatch from a 7,200 rpm caviar blue 320 gb from 2008 ish and it runs perfectly no lag and very similar map loading time than my friend 460 gb OCZ ssd. the 7,200 rpm is literally 2-3 second slower.