Can alcohol cool a pc better than the water it's self?

OK I have seen a crazy video online regarding a gamer using VODKA (YES, DRINKABLE VODKA) as a way to cool his PC. this is a Gamer's request towards his majesty of tech, Mr LTT himself to do a DIY Project like this. Is this just even possible? the only item you will need is drinkable alcohol. i will put up a video from the gamer that posted it as well as JayTwoCents's video regarding beer cooling PC. o.O

As JazyTwoCents said in his video, it is possible, but the beer will soon start to rot and ultimately become corroded onto the pipes leaving a disgusting mess. Also, it does not cool as efficiently as water 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, polandball2 said:

but would vodka work? that's my question.

in the long term no?

My life

There's usually a reason why water with the proper coolant shit is used rather than alcohol like beer and vodka.

Those spoil and can really fuck up things once they start spoiling, water doesn't usually spoil and, while it can fuck up things if you don't catch it, can be worked with easier.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

There's usually a reason why water with the proper coolant shit is used rather than alcohol like beer and vodka.

Those spoil and can really fuck up things once they start spoiling, water doesn't usually spoil and, while it can fuck up things if you don't catch it, can be worked with easier.

It also helps that alcohol literally melts plastic.Beer dosen't spoil and some manufactures actually recommend leaving it for a year.IDK what it is for high alcohol content drinks.Beer also dosen't really change from temperature change either(as long as your using a filtered beer)

My life

The boiling point of alcohols are going to be much lower than what your PC would output. This would lead to increased pressure as the liquid turns to vapor. 

Best thing would be water (100C) and a solute that will raise the boiling point sufficiently through colligative properties, such as what's done with antifreeze, or by utilizing another liquid's boiling point, significantly harder.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

You should do some more research...  only Beer will spoil due to 2 reasons.... The first would be that the alcohol content isn't high enough to keep the fluid sterile, the other reason is due to the barley. 

Vodka wouldn't spoil because of 1 major reason.. Any guesses?  

Very good class... It's high alcohol content...lol 

Now as for the longevity of using Vodka in a flexible line.. I agree that eventually the hose will get dried out and brittle from the alcohol in the Vodka, but with a hard plastic tube, that should last a very long while.  Any guesses  as to why? 

That's absolutely right class... If we were worried about the alcohol breaking down a hard plastic, then we wouldn't store it in plastic bottles at Liquor stores, bars, hotels, or airplane mini-fridges....etc...rofl  

Which means... yes you can use Vodka as the coolant in your system, if you plan on running hard plastic lines.  As far as it cooling any better or not... that is yet to be determined, but would make for a very good high school science project...lol

Just do it and find out. Plenty of research on it and why it isn’t a viable option. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I would look at motor oils before considering alcohol’s vastly lower boiling point. The loop would have to consider having a cooling coil for the alcohol to have any meaningful effect.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

The boiling point of alcohols are going to be much lower than what your PC would output. This would lead to increased pressure as the liquid turns to vapor. 

Best thing would be water (100C) and a solute that will raise the boiling point sufficiently through colligative properties, such as what's done with antifreeze, or by utilizing another liquid's boiling point, significantly harder.

Your assumption of the boiling point being lower in alcohol than that of water is a valid point.... However... If he assures that all hose connections don't leak, and that the unit is properly bled of all air bubbles, therefore making it a sealed system.

In a sealed system, the boiling point is marginal, and he wouldn't have to worry about vapor unless he did have a leak somewhere.  You mentioned antifreeze... Now that doesn't work for PC cooling because a few different reasons, but the main one is in the name...lmao   Automobile type ANTI-FREEZE is designed for 1 purpose and 1 purpose only... Any guesses?

So it could be possible to use Vodka, but we have no basis for comparison.

II like the OP's question... He raises a very good debate topic...lol  

Now some of you are shouting NO NO NO... while others, are IDK, and the rest of us are like Hmmm I wonder...lol  Well the only true way to know for sure is for someone to actually say what the hell, let's try it and find out.. 

I saw that someone had mentioned boiling point... Which gave me an idea as well.  If it's temps, boiling points, and effectiveness of the fluid we are using in the set-up, there are a couple really effective options with a boiling point a lot higher than water.  

One such fluid we use every day if we drive a car.. NO it is NOT Ant-Freeze...lol

It's a fluid with a very high boiling point, and it's used to save peoples lives...  This fluid is "Dot 3 Brake Fluid"... Which does work a lot better than water would in the applications we use it for. 

So to go along with the Op's idea of trying something new....  

Could it possibly work?

Why wouldn't it work?

What would be the long term effects if any?

Here is a list of different substances and their thermal conductivity. https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/thermal-conductivity-liquids-d_1260.html

Main system:

Enthoo Primo, X99 Rampage V, 16GB Ripjaws, i7 5820K, 500GB 970 EVO, 1TB 850 EVO, GTX 1080Ti SLI, EKWB custom Water cooling, Acer X34.

Obutto R3volution racing sim, Logitech G27 w/Nardi wheel and custom button plate, Logitech Z906 surround sound.

Home Theater:

Fractal Node 605, Asus Prime Z390A, i5 9600K, 16GB 3200MHz, 2 X 500GB EVO, GTX 1080, 4TB WD, Corsair Lapdog - K63 keyboard, Logitech MX Master 2S,

Samsung Q8F 65", Dreamscreen Cineseat powered recliner sofa.

Denon AVR-X4500H, Dynavoice Challenger surround: M-105, C5 XL, M-65. Klipsch R41-SA Atmos speakers. XTZ 12.16 sub, Dynabel Phobos 12" sub.

2nd system:

Fractal R5, Asus Z-97 A, 16GB 2000MHz, i7 4790K, 240GB 840 EVO, GTX 980Ti SLI, EKWB and Swiftech custom water cooling, Asus Swift PG278Q.

Laptop:

Acer Predator G9-793, i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1080p display OC to 100Hz.

Headphones and DAC/AMP: 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sound Blaster X3

Isn't one of the benefits of water is that it has a relatively high heat capacity?

Anti-freeze isn't a general problem. It was popular in the old old days before more dedicated products came along. It was used more for its anti-corrosion and biocide properties than improving performance though.

If anyone has the cash to do it, I have wondered if simply replacing water with heavy water would provide much benefit.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

@DakVampyre Colligative properties tells us that as you add solutes to a solvent the boiling point increases and the freezing point decreases. Anti-freeze is used to depress the freezing point, but by doing so elevates the boiling point of its solvent. The name “anti-freeze” is just a name given for its purpose, not all of its functions. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be adding it to vehicles in warmer climates like the southern states or Mexico. 

Brake fluid could work, but a stronger pump may be necessary since the viscosity of DOT3 is higher (I can’t verify if a normal pump is able to produce significant flow in DOT3).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

As same as the gallium cooling thread, same theory applies here. Tge coolant identity makes limited to no impact on the dissipation of energy from the system.

The fluid is not what is actually cooling the system. Air is cooling the radiators that has heat brought to it by the fluid+pump. Since the waterblock-->fluid-->radiator transfer steps are not the rate limiting (radiator-->air usually is the limiting step) the identity of thr coolant doesnt matter as long as it is reasonably not viscous and better than air. 

This is why things like ethylene glycol can be used just fine although it is less conductive. Similarily, using something very conductive like gallistan is also probably pointless since youre not improving the rate limiting step.

However there are other reasons as to why alcohol is not good. Acrylic and o-ring degradation. So it doesnt help, but can hurt, looks just like water. pointless.

Changing the cooling gas to something other than air on the otherhand may actually bring improvements. Remember the coolant is only the middleman between the components and the radiator, conventional liquid cooling is still air cooling.

• 1 month later...

Methanol water mixture is best for low temperature cooling applications. It's the worst for your health though...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

On 9/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, ARikozuM said:

I would look at motor oils before considering alcohol’s vastly lower boiling point.

The boiling point of motor grade oil is very high yes, but it also relies on very high operating temperatures to reach it's correct viscosity.

When at ambient temperatures, even the thinnest grade of engine oil would be too thick to be viable in a PC cooling loop. The motor would be put under unimaginable strain. And then when the PC got up to temperature, it'd still be far too low. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

On 9/16/2018 at 10:14 AM, DakVampyre said:

Your assumption of the boiling point being lower in alcohol than that of water is a valid point.... However... If he assures that all hose connections don't leak, and that the unit is properly bled of all air bubbles, therefore making it a sealed system.

In a sealed system, the boiling point is marginal, and he wouldn't have to worry about vapor unless he did have a leak somewhere.  You mentioned antifreeze... Now that doesn't work for PC cooling because a few different reasons, but the main one is in the name...lmao   Automobile type ANTI-FREEZE is designed for 1 purpose and 1 purpose only... Any guesses?

So it could be possible to use Vodka, but we have no basis for comparison.

You must not own a car.  Nor have many friends with how you respond to people.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

• 10 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 7:04 AM, Ross Siggers said:

The boiling point of motor grade oil is very high yes, but it also relies on very high operating temperatures to reach it's correct viscosity.

When at ambient temperatures, even the thinnest grade of engine oil would be too thick to be viable in a PC cooling loop. The motor would be put under unimaginable strain. And then when the PC got up to temperature, it'd still be far too low. 

I would say trying a lighter oil.  At my work place we have spindle bearing oils called velocite 3.  It's the color and viscosity of apple juice.  Might flow better but I doubt it work better than water.

The problem is using oil as a coolant is rubber gaskets and rubber o-rings. They all have to be replaced to the oil/fuel resistant ones. Alcohol based fluid (vodka) will damage the acrylic and not chemically but due physics. Then you drain the loop alcohol will start to evaporate at very high speed, thus pulling enough energy from the surface of the acrylic to crack it. How it will react with rubber is unknown to me possibly it is inert to rubber, but to be on the safe side it is better to replace all the gaskets to oil resistant ones. if you have all metal waterblock (such as EK full copper of Watercool heatkiller), and a glass or copper reservoir and all the gaskets changed to to oil resistant ones you can use any fluid in your loop. probably the best one for this purpose is diesel fuel due to the fact it is not conductive and have boiling point high enough to work in the loop, and you can even mix metals due to the fact it is not conductive. if you use kerosine (airplane fuel) you can even go subzero cooling without any risk of freezing your loop) (diesel fuel freezes at around -20-25C). In order to that you have to live at the north of Canada, Russia or Alaska.  

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

2 minutes ago, MaratM said:

Alcohol based fluid (vodka) will damage the acrylic and not chemically but due physics. Then you drain the loop alcohol will start to evaporate at very high speed, thus pulling enough energy from the surface of the acrylic to crack it.

not possible.

you need massive volume & gas pressure to crack anything