Soundbar VS Surround Speakers

Xcelsior86

Possibly upgrading my TV to 4K soon and would like an Atmos setup.  I won't be installing speakers into the ceiling because I'm renting and don't want to put the money into that.  So my options are buying a new receiver and having speakers that will bounce the sound off the ceiling along with the rest of the speakers or an Atmos soundbar.  My living room is large and open with the TV and everything setup in a corner on an angle facing the couch directly so a soundbar would be putting out the sound directly to me.  Specifically looking at a Samsung 3.1.2 soundbar with wireless subwoofer because I can get it in a bundle deal with a decent Samsung TV.  Only downside is only two HDMI in which isn't a huge deal and I'm hoping I could get a splitter for more devices if need be.  Thanks for the input.

Before going any further, how much do you want to or not want to spend? I can recommend a multitude of systems, but need a budget. If you are talking about the HW-K850, that is a good soundbar. 

Also, how big is the room, and how tall are the ceilings? 

I still work for Best Buy in a magnolia store, so I deal with these questions daily and can do any budget. 

Is there an Atmos soundbar with surround speakers? That's what I would tell people to go for. :P I just can't believe that a soundbar in front will give the same presence and directionality as dedicated surrounds.

I know there's some cheaper non-atmos soundbars with wireless surrounds. I'd really also only recommend it for simpler setup.

#Muricaparrotgang

Ceiling is 8 feet high and the living room is about 20x20.  TV is about 12 feet from the couch.  The soundbar I am looking at is the HW-K850 and I know I can add wireless surround speakers if I want to.

Budget is about $2,500 all in for the TV and upgraded sound system.  I'm also looking at the Pioneer VSX932 (huge savings on sale) or Sony STRDH790 along with the Pioneer Atmos bookshelf speakers for the front and the Pioneer SW8MK2 for a subwoofer.  Toss up between Samsung 65NU8000 (Package deal with the soundbar) or LG 65UK7700 for TV's. I know the Samsung is a top line model compared to the LG I have picked, but reviews put it close to the same level of quality.

The Samsung destroys that LG for starters. The 7700 is an ips panel this year. 

So $2500 is a decent budget. Let me get back to you from what you’ve picked out. I’m out of country for another day. I’ll build you something to fit the budget. Are you buying online? Retail store?