iPad Pro 9.7" or 10.5"

Tristanus

Hey everyone!

I'm just about to start my third semester in university and since it's about to start in October, I need to buy an iPad Pro (+Pencil) real soon.
I will use my iPad for taking notes, writing into my lectures scripts and also for drawing.
I am not studying art though, so this is not what I am focusing on.
It is mainly on handling scripts and notes very easily and as handy as possible.
Now my question to you is, if you have any experience regarding iPads and if you could tell me why you would either go for the iPad Pro 9,7" or the iPad Pro 10,5".
The newer generation has better features of course, but I would like to know if getting the older version would be enough in your opinion, since - as you could guess - money as a student is limited.

Thanks for your help and advice!

You could also get the non-pro iPad 2018. Also supports the pen and is muuuuch cheaper.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

If it is purely a note taking machine and is not being used to fully replace a laptop then I would get the non-pro plus a pen or a surface go.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

I wouldn't get the Pro 9.7" anymore. Too old kinda - but yes, it will perform well.

However, it has only 2gb Ram, has only 32/128gb variants for the first 2 (32 might be not enough, but 64 could be from the 10.5").

Take the iPad 2018 for that - if you don't mind a non-laminated Display.

Otherwise, why you should get the Pro 10.5":

- 20% bigger surface area. Trust me, you will love it for writing on it. I even wish often i had 12,9" when it's on my desk), at similar size - smaller bezels

- MUCH better Display. Not just supports Truetone, but also 120 Hz. Yes, it does make a difference, it feels much smoother.

- Better Performance obviously. You wil lsometimes feel it

- 4gb Ram instead 2gb.

- better Battery Life because more efficient Hardware

- smallest storage is 64gb instead 32gb. Second one is 256 instead 128. If 32gb isn't enough, you might have to compare the more expensive iPad Pro 9.7" 128gb vs. the smallest 64gb iPad Pro 10.5".

So yea.. If you take the Pro, second gen. Alone for the 120 Hz and bigger Display. If it's too expensive, go down to the iPad 2018. Similar performance as the Pro 9.7", and also only 2gb Ram.

The surface pro is definitely an alternative, you won't get the easy slickness of iOS but it will integrate more seamlessy with Office 365 and Outlook, which I'm assuming is what your uni uses. OneNote is definitely better than the iOS alternative and I much prefer using microsoft's pen than apple's. 

Also important, your lecturers will probably use powerpoint too, and for sure opening up and annotating a powerpoint on a surface running Office 365/win10 is much easier than doing so on an Ipad.

6 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

The surface pro is definitely an alternative, you won't get the easy slickness of iOS but it will integrate more seamlessy with Office 365 and Outlook, which I'm assuming is what your uni uses.

Outlook isn't really used in the Netherlands in universities, it's usually a webmail solution like Lotus Notes. Also, the full Office suite is available on the iPad, and it's not half bad. Also, Surface Pro is significantly more expensive. Surface Go would be better.

Also important, your lecturers will probably use powerpoint too, and for sure opening up and annotating a powerpoint on a surface running Office 365/win10 is much easier than doing so on an Ipad.

Again, full office suite on iOS. Not a big deal. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Edit: i forgot to mention... ipad Pro 2nd gen (10.5") has a much better Camera - might be helpful to take photos of Documents / Whiteboard etc.

Overall.. i think, even if the iPad Pro 10.5" is more expensive, it will serve you very great as an overall good device. performance, battery life, updates, Camera, size, etc etc.