1080 Ti SLI or RTX 2080 Ti Single?

Martines91

Hi there,

So I guess this might have been answered previously but I'm having this dilemma, I currently have the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2, before, I considered going SLI but now, seeing the 2080 Ti I'm wondering if I should rather switch to it?

Money is not an issue, the problem is, is it worth it? Or am I better off with a single 1080 Ti? Currently I can get the second 1080 Ti for 590€, or I can sell my card for the same amount and buy the 2080 Ti for another ~600€

current PC specs: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ygNkHh

Thanks

wait a couple of weeks until the RTX reviews are in and you can get an idea on the performance gain from the new cards. 

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

SLI is NEVER worth it. The 2080ti is going to be double the price, for more then likely 20-35% performance boost. Still not the best value.

Is your 1080ti not performing well in games? What is your monitor? 

Looking at your PCPartpicker list you spent a absolute fuckton of fans and other crap you didnt need for that system lol

I have the same dilema, 2 x 1080 Ti or 1 x 2080 Ti? My current feeling is to stick with dual 1080s for a year or so, based on the assumption it will take a while for the new tech to bed in i.e. more games supporting ray tracing, 3rd party manufactures putting cards out, and the community testing and benching the new cards. 

In a year or two we will have RTX cards, DDR5 RAM and Cannon Lake chips, so I expect I'll be building a new rig then. 

Shimejii makes a good point, maybe worth upgrading monitor or something else before your GPU. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to play games that have ray tracing ;)

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

SLI is NEVER worth it. The 2080ti is going to be double the price, for more then likely 20-35% performance boost. Still not the best value.

Looking at your PCPartpicker list you spent a absolute fuckton of fans and other crap you didnt need for that system lol

You are talking crap about his pcpartpicker and then you ask what his monitor is?

It is right in there. 3440x1440p 100hz monitor.

Single gtx 1080ti is a bit weak for that, but rtx2080ti should be enough.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yeah well, 3 are in the front as intake, 1 is as an exhaust, I wanted to have push/pull but it didn't fit so I have 2 sitting on a shelf (I will be changing the case later and watercooling it all)

Wait for benchmarks.

1080Ti SLI will almost certainly out perform the 2080 Ti in most of the games that matter. Whether or not those are the games you play is a different story. Are you ok with getting your hands dirty with driver settings? Are you ok with not all games using the 2nd GPU? There's a few things to consider with SLI before jumping in, but if you have the gusto, you  might find it worth while.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

You are talking crap about his pcpartpicker and then you ask what his monitor is?

equaly dual 1080 ti's should be able to handle 4k at that rez

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well "weak" is debatable, I mean, if I set any game at ultra, yeah, it's weak as in I'm somewhere in 40-60 fps, not more, medium-high is kind of optimal for the GPU, but since I have a soft spot for details I want to have everything on ultra, possibly matching the monitors refresh rate, lol

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

1080ti should be fine for that resolution. should be easily able to hit 80-100 fps. 2080ti should be better, but damn that price increase

Just now, saur0 said:

equaly dual 1080 ti's should be able to handle 4k at that rez

Dual 1080Ti's are good for up to 5k without much compromise. 4k is where 1080Ti's start scaling well.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

1080ti should be fine for that resolution. should be easily able to hit 80-100 fps. 2080ti should be better, but damn that price increase

The op stated he gets 40-60fps at ultra, which is more realistic.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

well the cheapest 2080 Ti I can get is

Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080Ti TWIN X2 for 1267€

or the most expensive EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA GAMING for 1439€

though I was looking at these two:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC GAMING - 1399€

ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX 2080Ti O11GB - 1390€

5 minutes ago, Martines91 said:

well the cheapest 2080 Ti I can get is

Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080Ti TWIN X2 for 1267€

or the most expensive EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA GAMING for 1439€

though I was looking at these two:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC GAMING - 1399€

ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX 2080Ti O11GB - 1390€

Those prices are nuckin' futs.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

Why would you drop that much on CORSAIR fans instead of good ones? 

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Why would you drop that much on CORSAIR fans instead of good ones? 

I wanted RGB fans and at the time I bought them they looked the best

24 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Those prices are nuckin' futs.

welcome to Slovakia, where import fees doubles the price of a product

10 minutes ago, Martines91 said:

welcome to Slovakia, where import fees doubles the price of a product

In all fairness, the 2080Ti has a MSRP of $1200 USD, which is about 1030EUR. I guarantee that custom model 2080Ti's won't sell for less than $1300 USD at best.

It's more the fact that the 2080 is confirmed to be about 50% faster than a 1080 (without DLSS) that makes the pricing absurd. I can't imagine the 2080Ti being more than 50% than the 1080Ti either. Early adopter fees and lack of competition is real this generation.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

In all fairness, the 2080Ti has a MSRP of $1200 USD, which is about 1030EUR. I guarantee that custom model 2080Ti's won't sell for less than $1300 USD at best.

It's more the fact that the 2080 is confirmed to be about 50% faster than a 1080 (without DLSS) that makes the pricing absurd. I can't imagine the 2080Ti being more than 50% than the 1080Ti either. Early adopter fees and lack of competition is real this generation.

I do intend to wait for real benchmarks, and I'm currently playing WoW, but I'm waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, maaaaybe Battlefield V, and what may come in the future

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

THE MAN SAID MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE

xD

58 minutes ago, Martines91 said:

I do intend to wait for real benchmarks, and I'm currently playing WoW, but I'm waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, maaaaybe Battlefield V, and what may come in the future

I'm pretty sure the only game out of that list that won't work with SLI is Doom Eternal. BFV was confirmed to work using BF1's SLI profile, and CDPR is usually pretty good about SLI with their games. WoW supports SLI, but you probably won't see any benefit from it unless you take advantage of the built in render scale or DSR.

I haven't loaded up BF5, but if it's anything like BF1, SLI will probably net a 50-60% improvement. I know WoW nets about an 80-90% improvement barring any CPU bottlenecks. As long as your daily drivers benefit from SLI (which it seems they do), then I don't see a 2080Ti being the better choice unless it's more than 50% faster than a 1080Ti. However, DLSS seems interesting, and may be a game changer. The only thing that can really change that verdict IMO is DLSS, but that's dependent on developers ATM and we still don't know the full details of it yet.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

I'm pretty sure the only game out of that list that won't work with SLI is Doom Eternal. BFV was confirmed to work using BF1's SLI profile, and CDPR is usually pretty good about SLI with their games. WoW supports SLI, but you probably won't see any benefit from it unless you take advantage of the built in render scale or DSR.

I haven't loaded up BF5, but if it's anything like BF1, SLI will probably net a 50-60% improvement. I know WoW nets about an 80-90% improvement barring any CPU bottlenecks. As long as your daily drivers benefit from SLI (which it seems they do), then I don't see a 2080Ti being the better choice unless it's more than 50% faster than a 1080Ti. However, DLSS seems interesting, and may be a game changer. The only thing that can really change that verdict IMO is DLSS, but that's dependent on developers ATM and we still don't know the full details of it yet.

do you think that the devs will be able to "update" their games with the new tech? to support the RTX series? or only the new games will have that?

3 minutes ago, Martines91 said:

do you think that the devs will be able to "update" their games with the new tech? to support the RTX series? or only the new games will have that?

Older titles can be updated with DLSS support. There's a list of DLSS games here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-dlss-new-games-september-2018/

What would be interesting, and a huge deal IMO, is if DLSS can be enabled via driver settings in unsupported titles, kind of like forcing AA, AO, and SLI in unsupported titles. Only time will tell though.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

With the games I’ll be playing, 2 is better than one. As is always the case. 

I can get 3 1080ti’s for the price of a 2080ti. So I’ll get two of those and put water blocks on them with the money spared. Better temps, performance and pretty much everything else’s. 

I dont plan playing poorly optimized games, so it’s a real simple choice for me. Set it and forget it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz