Raid 0 Question

NoobiexD

Hi,

If I do a raid 0 on my 850 evo and put all of my important stuff on my HDD. My data wont be gone if the raid fails right?

I can't think of any storage configuration beside doing raid 0 on my ssd. Might as well combine them together Instead of having 2 separate drive.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, NoobiexD said:

Hi,

If I do a raid 0 on my 850 evo and put all of my important stuff on my HDD. My data wont be gone if the raid fails right?

I can't think of any storage configuration beside doing raid 0 on my ssd. Might as well combine them together Instead of having 2 separate drive.

Thanks

Um... you might want to research RAID types, and know that RAID IS NOT A BACKUP. RAID0 is usually for striping data across 2 drives of the same type and capacity, allowing reading and writing file data split across the 2 drives. If one drive fails, you lose all data in the RAID.

There are many blog posts and a wikipedia article on RAID that I highly recommend reading before setting up RAID, although I personally DO NOT recommend using RAID under any circumstances due to the inability to rebuild a failed array in instances where your RAID controller fails.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/RAID_0_vs_RAID_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Um... you might want to research RAID types, and know that RAID IS NOT A BACKUP. RAID0 is usually for striping data across 2 drives of the same type and capacity, allowing reading and writing file data split across the 2 drives. If one drive fails, you lose all data in the RAID.

There are many blog posts and a wikipedia article on RAID that I highly recommend reading before setting up RAID, although I personally DO NOT recommend using RAID under any circumstances due to the inability to rebuild a failed array in instances where your RAID controller fails.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/RAID_0_vs_RAID_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

So you are suggesting that I keep my SSD separated instead of doing raid 0? 

18 minutes ago, NoobiexD said:

So you are suggesting that I keep my SSD separated instead of doing raid 0? 

Absolutely, as RAID 0 with an SSD and HDD will limit your speeds to that of your HDD since it's slower than the SSD. If you were to purchase another 500GB SSD, you could set that up as RAID 0 if you really wanted to, although again, I don't advise this due to the pitfalls of RAID setup & recovery. Besides, even a single SATA SSD can operate at over double the speed of the fastest mechanical 7200RPM drive available.

I recommend having a boot SSD for Windows and day to day programs coupled with an HDD for general storage, and then a secondary SSD for games or video / photo files you're actively working on. Alternatively, you can just go with a larger boot SSD and use that for all the data you need fast storage for, but that's up to you.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

49 minutes ago, NoobiexD said:

Hi,

Thanks

When doing RAID 0 is strips across 2 drives, sharing capacity, and increasing speeds, but if one drive fails the entire RAID fails and you lose all the information. In your case since you have an SSD and a HDD its not ideal to use RAID 0 as performance on your SSD will be crap. It will be better to keep windows, and important data on your SSD, then your less important stuff likes games in your HDD.

18 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Absolutely, as RAID 0 with an SSD and HDD will limit your speeds to that of your HDD since it's slower than the SSD. If you were to purchase another 500GB SSD, you could set that up as RAID 0 if you really wanted to, although again, I don't advise this due to the pitfalls of RAID setup & recovery. Besides, even a single SATA SSD can operate at over double the speed of the fastest mechanical 7200RPM drive available.

I recommend having a boot SSD for Windows and day to day programs coupled with an HDD for general storage, and then a secondary SSD for games or video / photo files you're actively working on. Alternatively, you can just go with a larger boot SSD and use that for all the data you need fast storage for, but that's up to you.

Is it even possible to create a raid 0 with a mechanical and a solid state drive? If possible, would it even boot?

I'm aware of the speed lost but it would be a nice experiment for knowledge.

Just keep your SSDs as independent drives.

If you want the lest chance of losing data, put it on an SSD and not HDD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, NoobiexD said:

Hi,

Thanks

If you want to raid drives, you need to get atleast 2 that are the same model so no performance is lost.

I personnaly would buy another SSD to improve load times or another HDD to improve big capacity speed if you need it.

Again, like they said above, you can't or shouldn't raid different ssd/hdd models.

2 minutes ago, vascobrissos14 said:

Is it even possible to create a raid 0 with a mechanical and a solid state drive? If possible, would it even boot?

I'm aware of the speed lost but it would be a nice experiment for knowledge.

Yes, it's technically possible. However, as noted above, the performance would be abysmal when compared to just using the SSD independently, as @Enderman has noted. It's a bit like combining a Gas and Electric engine in a hybrid car when your objective is to have a super fast 0-60 time - you'd be better off buying an all electric car since a purely electric engine can attain much faster 0-60 times.

@kirashi @vascobrissos14 @Enderman

My bad, I wasn't clear about my post. I actually have two 850 evos. Doing Raid 0 with my SSD and HDD was never on my mind lol. 

What I was thinking of doing is doing a raid 0 on my SSD and keep all my junk on my HDD. So, if my SSD fails I still have all of my stuff on my HDD. 

1 minute ago, NoobiexD said:

My bad, I wasn't clear about my post. I actually have two 850 evos. Doing Raid 0 with my SSD and HDD was never on my mind lol. 

What I was thinking of doing is doing a raid 0 on my SSD and keep all my junk on my HDD. So, if my SSD fails I still have all of my stuff on my HDD. 

You won't notice any improvement in real world use unless you're moving huge files around all the time for video editing or something like that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, NoobiexD said:

I firstly thought it was a mistake but by your name, I also thought you were serious abou raiding a hdd and ssd xd.

Now for your question, yes. A raid 0 would be nice if you need the extra speed and "one big disk" instead of 2 (talking about partitions).

You could also think about raid 1 if you need to secure your data incase the main ssd has a problem and you have serious stuff you can't lose.

In the end, go with raid 0 if you want to and need more speed and 1 partition only.

Go raid 1 if you need the peace of mind that your stuff is secure.

Gl

1 hour ago, vascobrissos14 said:

I firstly thought it was a mistake but by your name, I also thought you were serious abou raiding a hdd and ssd xd.

Now for your question, yes. A raid 0 would be nice if you need the extra speed and "one big disk" instead of 2 (talking about partitions).

You could also think about raid 1 if you need to secure your data incase the main ssd has a problem and you have serious stuff you can't lose.

In the end, go with raid 0 if you want to and need more speed and 1 partition only.

Go raid 1 if you need the peace of mind that your stuff is secure.

Gl

I'm 50/50 on Raid 0 because I want to combine them together but at the same time I do not want to lose my data but if I transfer my important stuff on my HDD. I guess I should be fine? I should have brought a big capacity SSD instead of 2 smaller capacity.

11 hours ago, NoobiexD said:

I'm 50/50 on Raid 0 because I want to combine them together but at the same time I do not want to lose my data but if I transfer my important stuff on my HDD. I guess I should be fine? I should have brought a big capacity SSD instead of 2 smaller capacity.

There's always that risk of losing your data... there's an option to have 2 benefits but is expensive and I don't think it's worth it. Raid 10.

With raid 10, you have the speed and the safety together. You need 4 drives though...

There can be more raids that might only need 1 more ssd but I'm not aware of them.

I really don't know what else to advice you to do...

GL