photographic camera - raw image file - is this the real digital negative ?

i don't know much of this new fotografic digital age :lol: but looks like a interest topic

(PNG is the one i love use to preserve my digital image files archives and the high resolution scans)

:ph34r:

i don't know much of this new fotografic digital age :lol: but looks like a interest topic

(PNG is the one i love use to preserve my digital image files archives and the high resolution scans)

:ph34r:

Raw is more editable from what i have heard

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

RAW retains the raw and original information from the sensor without compression so that there is more information for people to edit and manipulate the photo in more granular and detailed ways in post-processing.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Raw is more editable from what i have heard

Yep. You can save an under-exposed image if it is sot in RAW but you are screwed if it is a JPEG as the detailed colour data is lost in the compression process.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

basically what these guys are saying, you want to use raw if you plan on heavily modifying it through post processing such as filters and overlays

If taking pictures of things with very subtle colour differences raw is great because in post processing you can really make things stand out. It basically keeps all the things where jpeg or png would get rid of some things in order to make the file smaller.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

All of the above, plus:

Raw data is basically just a matrix of values. In case of a grayscale image and an 8-bit sensor, the matrix is two-dimensional and the values range from 0 to 255 (28 = 256 possibilities). Every value represents the intensity in the corresponding pixel. In case of an RGB sensor, the matrix is three-dimensional. It consists of three planes, each of them with one value per pixel representing the intensity of respectively the red, green and blue component of the light that was captured by that pixel.

The reason it is best for editing purposes is because you have all the data your camera is able to produce in the file. Every value is the most accurate representation of what the sensor "saw". The moment you compress the image with something like JPEG some of the information will be lost, thus making the picture less sutable for editing, as it is already "modified".